2009 Pittsburgh Panthers

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the whites projected to start for Dave Wannstedt's club this year. The Panthers had 8 white starters from 2005-2007, and 9 in 2008. Believe it or not, under Wannstedt, the Panthers have slowly been increasing the number of whites they start the last three years. That is, if there are no injuries, and Jacobson wins the starting job. It probably won't last though, given Pitt's recent recruiting class.
smiley18.gif

Offense

QB Bill Stull

FB Henry Hynoski

TE Nate Byham

LG Joe Thomas

C Robb Houser

RG John Malecki

RT Lucas Nix

Defense

WLB Max Gruder

SS Dom DeCicco
Edited by: Jack Lambert

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting to see those numbers at Pitt, but you are probably right about the future. I don't know why Darky Dark Dave would change his MO now.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Pitt could have two white ball hawking safeties this year, both of Italian descent!
Speedy sophomore safety Andrew Taglianetti is already a special-teams warrior for the Pitt Panthers.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he's Peter Taglianetti's son, Pens hockey player from the early 90s.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Would Wannstedt allow there to be two white, ball-hawking safties on the field at the same time?

whiteCB

Master
celticdb15 said:
Pitt could have two white ball hawking safeties this year, both of Italian descent!
<div>Speedy sophomore safety [COLOR=#000066">[u]Andrew Taglianetti[/u][/COLOR"> is already a special-teams warrior for the Pitt Panthers.</div>

Oh my god this article had a bunch of Caste 101 speak throughout. I loved when the Pitt coach said when they first looked at Taglianetti he didn't have what they usually look for in a defensive back.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Agreed White CB, he did go on to say that he didn't consider Tag an overachiever thoughbecause he ran high 4.4s and low 4.5s

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I little update for the white Panthers starting this year.

Joe Thomas starts at LG over Chris Jacobson.

Gus Mustakas starts at NG over Myles Caragein. (Can someone else look at his picture, I'm not sure if he is full white or not.)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jack, Gus looks mixed to me.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Dom DeCicco is not listed on this depth-chart, but his profile is there (listed as a Senior this year), so he should be a starter if he's healthy.

http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

--(TE) Mike Cruz is non-White, but his back-ups are White. The QBs skull looks Latin Indian to me, so I'm not counting him as White right now.--

So with counting Dom DeCicco as a starter, I see nine White starters at this moment, including 2 DL.

Myles C. - http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?sport=1&sid=996&player=84109

Chas Alecxih - http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=84951

And a back-up DL, Tyler T. - http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=63704

Disappointing to see a very fat sumo at Right Guard, but if they start 9 Whites, I will consider that a bit of a victory.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Deadlift I'm assuming Tino Sunseri is a full blooded or close to full blooded Italian based on his name and looks. Here's a vid of him accepting an award in high school, seems like a real down to earth guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Udvmiia7E

Another guy who might be vying for playing time is Andrew Taglianetti. 2009 Scouting Report: "A special teams standout as a true freshman, Taglianetti eyes increased time in the secondary this year...owns exceptional football instincts and athleticism...those traits helped him block three punts last year...slated to compete for time at free safety but boasts the versatility to play strong safety as well."Edited by: celticdb15

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I was gonna say that Sunseri looks white to me. He has a brother LB, Vinnie, in High School, who looks very white.

Even though I can't find a pic of him, I'm pretty sure Todd Gilchrist, one of the starting safeties on that depth chart, is white. It says that he's a walk-on, so he's probably white.

I'd love to see Andrew Taglianetti get time as well.

Never forget about their white WR, Mike Shanahan. I know you counted him as a starter, Deadlift, but I felt I should mention him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew Taglianetti is the son of Peter, who was a defenseman on the Penguins Stanley Cup winning teams in '91 and '92.

Tino Sunseriis the son of Sal, who was a star linebackerfor Pitt in the late '70s and early '80s but never got a real shot in the NFL. Lots of Sunseris in and around Pittsburgh, in fact Pittsburgh has the highest concentration of Italians of any city in the country on a per capita basis, more than even New York, Boston and Philly, which I'm sure is a surprise to many.Edited by: Don Wassall

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
"Tino Sunseriis the son of Sal, who was a star linebackerfor Pitt in the late '70s and early '80s but never got a real shot in the NFL. Lots of Sunseris in and around Pittsburgh, in fact Pittsburgh has the highest concentration of Italians of any city in the country on a per capita basis, more than even New York, Boston and Philly, which I'm sure is a surprise to many."

Interesting fact Don, it makes sense why there are so many Italian surnames on their roster now!