2009 Iowa Hawkeyes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, Jack. I'm looking forward to this game too.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Lets hope Iowa's tandem of ball hawking safeties picks up right where they left off in picking off Daryl Clark! I believe it was Sash who sealed the deal with a pick in Iowa's upset of PSU last year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Agreed Celtic! It would be nice to see several INTs by the white DBs today.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Daryl Clark is a good QB though, who I think can make his receiver check downs well enough that he may have a chance to be decent at the NFL level- I don't see the same in Juice Williams. But Sash and Greenwood have really been ball hawks and I predict Clark throws a pick or two. Wegher needs to have a big bounce back game splitting time with backfield mate Adam Robinson. This should be a hard fought close game...Go Iowa!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
neither of the two White safeties had interceptions, although each had a couple of pass defenses and solid games, but two White linebackers each had a pick of Penn State's black quarterback (i LOVE this new name, Bear Backer!).

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Updated Iowa's white starters.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I like Robinson as a person. He seems like he really respects Wegher when I've heard him talk about the running game's progress in interviews. Wegher can't talk to the media due to Frentz's rule for true freshman. We need Wegher to get his YPC up to around 5 per by the end of the year. He should be able to do this with his talent and a pretty good run blocking o-line with more reps. I expect him to find his grove and this will be great for him. Expect Frentz to bring Jeff Brinson into the mix a bit as a change of pace guy. Brinson will probably get 1/4 of the carries or so- as the change of pace powerback- and is the 2nd best option IMO. O'Meara didn't show enough and Brad Rogers plainly sucks. We'll get to see the courage Frentz has to play the best players by how he manages pt next year when Jewel Hampton comes back. It will be Hampton, Robinson and Wegher fighting for pt- so Wegher is going to really have to show something to remain the starter over the older players next season. I think it could be Robinson who falls to 3rd team- if Wegher's play really stands out for the rest of this year- with Wegher starting and Hampton getting 1/3-1/4 of the carries as a 2nd teamer next year.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I didn't think Robinson was a bad guy at all either. I'm just stating the Wegher starts now. As long as Robinson respects Wegher and stays away from the thuggish attitude so many athletes have today, then I'll respect him.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I just noticed that my November 9th issue of Sports Illustrated has a feature story on the Hawkeyes. It was written prior to their loss to Northwestern and the injury to Ricky Stanzi. Further evidence of the SI curse!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Sports Illustrated is very biased towards white athletes.  Every year I go through their prospect profiles for NFL players.  I have seen lots of negative comments on white players such as "not very fast" "high motor guy" and "overachiever."  I looked at USA Today's prospect profiles and they are much more positive.  White players are actually referred to as fast. 

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
QB Ricky Stanzi doubtful for next 2 games.

<div> </div>

<div>IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz says junior
quarterback Ricky Stanzi has had surgery to repair a severely sprained
ankle and is "very doubtful" for Iowa's final two regular season games.

<a href="http://images.video.msn.com/js/ch/channels.css" target="_blank"></span>Stanzi injured his right ankle in the second
quarter of No. 15 Iowa's 17-10 loss to Northwestern last weekend and
did not return.</a>
</div>

<a href="http://images.video.msn.com/js/ch/channels.css" target="_blank">Ferentz says redshirt freshman James Vandenberg
is now the No. 1 quarterback for the Hawkeyes (9-1, 5-1 Big Ten). He
will make his first career start Saturday at No. 10 Ohio State (8-2,
5-1).</a>

Vandenberg was 9 of 27 passing for 82 yards and an interception against Northwestern.

<a href="http://images.video.msn.com/js/ch/channels.css" target="_blank">Stanzi
started all 10 games this season, throwing for 2,186 yards with 15
touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Ferentz says that he believes Stanzi
has a good chance to play in a bowl game.</a>
<a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10334428/Iowa-QB-Stanzi-very-doubtful-for-final-2-games" target="_blank">http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10334428/Iowa-QB-Stanzi-%27very-doubtful%27-for-final-2-games

</a>
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well he's 6'7 240 lbs I think his height alone will keep him at tight end. He will be a great fit in Iowa's offense and should be able to compete for playing time right away with Moeaki gone. Iowa should be very happy in signing the number2 tight end in the country!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: celticdb15

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I have lost lots of respect for Iowa. Ferentz could have followed up his recruiting of Wegher (after he saved Iowa in Orange Bowl) with two more STUD underrated white RBs- and taken less heat for it because of Wegher's success.

He could have signed Nile Knapp and Mark Mauro. He could have even red-shirted those guys and even labeled one of the two as an ATH to get the Marxists off his back at first. Ferentz is a coward. He knows exactly what is going on with Rivals and Scout- as I posted something about this in the Wegher forum, but he'd rather do the status quo to protect his job and his pro-black reputation.

You know, if Ferentz recruited two more white backs, message boards and bloggers might start talking about his "predilection" toward white players. Yeah I guess 13% of the population is supposed to make up 95-98% of FBS RBs!
smiley103.gif

ToughJ, I'm starting to think that if a coach had the nards to just go ahead and put out a team with 18 or 19 white starters that he would realize the world wouldn't cave in on him. If the team was successful the boosters would be cheering with delight. Of course there would be those in the media saying the team needs more speed, but ultimately I think nobody would come out and sanction the coach for too many white players, because then the public would say what about teams that start 18 or 19 black players? I wish a coach would just go ahead and do it.