2009 Iowa Hawkeyes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I figured we'd start the 2009 team preview threads with a past favorite. Iowa had 11 white starters in 2005, 13 in 2006, 15 in 2007, and 15 in 2008.

Offense
QB Ricky Stanzi
RB Brandon Wegher-splits carries
FB Brett Morse
WR Trey Stross
LT Bryan Bulaga
LG Riley Reiff
C Rafael Eubanks
RG Julian Vandervelde
RT Kyle Calloway

Defense
DT Karl Klug
OLB A.J. Edds
MLB Pat Angerer
SS Tyler Sash
FS Brett Greenwood

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

green fire317

Banned
i am really looking forward to watching tyler sash this year. if you go to youtube and type in "tyler sash 2008" you will see some great plays.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Nice find Green fire, pretty impressive highlight vid

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
another player to keep in mind is tailback Brandon Wegher. he'll be a true freshman this fall, and is arguably the most talented running back to sign with Iowa in a looooooooong time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kyle Calloway arrested for driving moped while drunk

I had to post this for no other reason than Kyle was on a moped!
smiley36.gif

<div>DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa offensive lineman Kyle Calloway has
been arrested and charged with operating a moped while intoxicated.</div>

Iowa City police say Calloway was arrested early Saturday
after officers stopped him while he was driving into a barricaded area.

Police say the 22-year-old senior was given a breath test, which registered 0.106. The legal limit in Iowa is 0.08.

Iowa City Police Sgt. Mike Lord says Calloway cooperated and acknowledged he drank seven or eight beers.

Iowa
coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement released by the university that
he was "disappointed to learn of (Calloway's) poor judgment."

Calloway
has started 25 straight games for Iowa. Ferentz said Calloway's
discipline will include a "game suspension," counseling and community
service.http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9707966/Iowa-OL-Calloway-charged-with-driving-drunk

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
OGs Dan Doering and Andy Kuempel have a decent chance to start at Right Guard this season, they are in a fight with Dace Richardson (black). So Iowa should increase their white starters to 12 this year.

Also, look for Brandon Wegher to start the season as possibly 2nd team RB, maybe even starting if Hampton gets injured or struggles. Wegher could start the season returning kicks as well.
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks Jack. I'm not sure if Brandon will see much playing time at RB early on, but I hope I'm wrong.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Iowa left tackle Bryan Bulaga is Polish, powerful, proud and could be a future top 5 pick.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's the actual blurb about it. These things aren't hard to copy and paste.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz says sophomore
running back Jewel Hampton is out for the season with a knee injury
that will require surgery.

Hampton was projected to the Hawkeyes' starter. He rushed for
463 yards and seven touchdowns last season as Shonn Greene's
backup.

Ferentz says Hampton, who tweaked a prior knee injury early last
month, will have surgery by the end of this week and should be back
to full strength by next summer.

Ferentz says Hampton will redshirt this season and have three
years of eligibility remaining.

Junior Paki O'Meara will start Saturday's game at running back,
followed by redshirt freshman Adam Robinson. Freshmen Jeff Brinson
and Brandon Wegher could also see action.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/wire/chi-ap-fbc-t25-iowa-replaci,0,1074220.story

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
To go along with Jewel Hampton's injury, draftdaddy posted this:

Iowa Hawkeyes' starting tailback Jewel Hampton will miss the entire season following a knee injury.

DD.Comment: We'd like to thank Ryan, who has sent us dozens of <A style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: -2px; : http://s.adbrite.com/mb/s/green-double-underline-006600.gif repeat-x 50% bottom; COLOR: #006600; CURSOR: pointer; TEXT-DECORATION: none" id=AdBriteInlineAd_university name=AdBriteInlineAd_university target=_top keyword="university" display="inline">University</A> of Iowa and Northern Iowa links over the years. Here's the comment he sent us with this link: "As of now former walk-on Paki O'Meara and redshirt freshman Adam Robinson are one and two on the depth charts. However, most believe true freshman Brandon Wegher -- said to be starting to get a lot of quality reps in practice -- and redshirt freshman Jeff Brinson (battling ankle injury out wk. 1) will take over the bulk of the load.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great news for Brandon!!

Does anyone know Paki O'Meara's racial breakdown? Looks majority white to me.

doc4806c5c0591a5632004620_thumb.jpg
Edited by: Freethinker

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
His mother is Polynesian.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yes Irish\Polynesian i remember his name being brought up a while back when the same question was asked.

jared

Mentor
Great day for the Hawkeyes today. Brandon Wegher led the team in rushing with 101 YDS and 1 TD on 15 attempts and Trey Stross led in receiving with 4 for 69. Iowa State's two black QBs combined to throw 5 interceptions. Iowa SS Tyler Sash had 3 INTs, 2 TFL, 1 FF, and a team-leading 9 tackles!
smiley32.gif

Kaptain

Master
Looks like we have a starting white RB in the big ten! Tyler Sash will be the Big Ten's defensive player of the week - no doubt. The few plays I saw of Iowa had Wegher as Tailback and a white FB.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel, I think you'll be able to go ahead and edit the starters for Iowa after this next game. Adam Robinson might still be listed technically as the starter for much of this season, but Wegher and him are going to split carries. I will be shocked if by the end of this season, Wegher isn't the leading rusher for the Hawkeyes. I think he'll end up leading the team in carries as well.
smiley20.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tough, I just updated the white starters. Thanks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It will be tough to root against Iowa but I just love my U of A Wildcats too much. I was hoping our stud tightend Rob Gronkowski would be back this weekend but he will probably be held out for one more game. Watch out for David Douglas at wide receiver. He is one of our 2 or 3 best receivers along with Gronk!

I hope Wegher has a big game and it's close but I have to pull for my Cats in this one. I will root for Iowa the rest of the season however. I have always liked Iowa since the Tim Dwight days.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white lightning, I gotta work harder to get you out of that team fan mentality!
smiley36.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I can't wait to watch this game tonight between Iowa and Penn State.

Update to Iowa's depth chart, Colin Sandeman has passed Marvin McNutt as the No. 2 WR for the Hawkeyess, giving them two starting white WRs, two starting white safeties, and a white RB who gets carries.
smiley32.gif

Also, Penn State has a white WR, and two white safeties. Edited by: Jack Lambert