2009 Georgia Bulldogs

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mark Richt might be a Christian, but much like Bobby (Massa) Bowden, he's no good Samaritan when it comes to recruiting and playing white athletes. Georgia has had just 5 whites starting each year since 2006, an all on offense. No changes here. Just remember that consistency isn't always a good thing.

Offense
QB Joe Cox
FB Shaun Chapas
LG Tanner Strickland
C Ben Jones
LT Clint Boling

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
As I've alluded to in other posts, WR Kris Durham will return (from injury) next season & claim a starting slot.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Lol Dixie you have hammered this into our heads! DO you know if Kris was given a scholarship or did he have to take the walk-on path?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
celtic, I'll answer your question for Dixie. Kris has been a scholarship player since he started, although it is a specific scholarship, not a general one. Kind of strange, but I'm glad he got a scholarship as a freshman.

Dixie is still a team fan. Maybe one of these days he'll leave the fold for good.
smiley2.gif
I know how tough it is to quit being a team fan in the SEC, but its for the best, imho.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
celtic, I'll answer your question for Dixie. Kris has been a scholarship player since he started, although it is a specific scholarship, not a general one. Kind of strange, but I'm glad he got a scholarship as a freshman. Dixie is still a team fan. Maybe one of these days he'll leave the fold for good.
smiley2.gif
I know how tough it is to quit being a team fan in the SEC, but its for the best, imho.

Guilty as charged Colonel!
smiley9.gif
I've changed my paradigm and have begun pulling for specific players, but it's hard to quit (totally) rootin' for the Dawgs as I've been a fan since I was a young tyke. I'm going to try and finally/totally extract myself from the "Bulldawg Nation" this season as I'm all too aware of UGA's caste leanings (as common-place within the SEC).
smiley6.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
It's hard to do, I cheer for my Packers(who have gotten a lot better). But i have disattached myself to the Badgers. I find it annoying that they no offer zero to none white skill kids. Bielema says he wants to keep in state talent in the state but we all know he only means the white o-linemen and the black skill positions.

whiteCB

Master
celticdb15 said:
It's hard to do, I cheer for my Packers(who have gotten a lot better). But i have disattached myself to the Badgers. I find it annoying that they no offer zero to none white skill kids. Bielema says he wants to keep in state talent in the state but we all know he only means the white o-linemen and the black skill positions.

I'm kind of the opposite. I've quit pulling for my NFL team the Clowns err my bad I mean the Browns. I'm beginning to think Browns is used to describe the color defense the team has year in and year out. However, I will continue to root for the Buckeyes as they seem pretty fair towards white guys. They always have white WRs, LBs, DLs, OLs, TEs, and some DBs.

Hey Dixie, what about rooting for Vandy? They're not a rival of UGA and they're a white friendly SEC team. Too bad your other in-state team Troy isn't much better than UGA.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah CB, Vandy is an alternative (about the only one in the SEC). There are mostly white teams that I pull for from year to year, but seeing as how few teams are consistently white friendly in the caste era, I pull more for players than teams.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Most teams aren't consistent with white guys, but you have some teams that are fair. Like Ohio State, Nebraska, BYU, Air Force, Wyoming, and Northwestern, to name a few. But yeah, I'll usually pull for players now more than teams. I quit cheering for the Steelers as a team, I only pull for Roethlisberger, Miller, etc. but I still am a pretty big Nebraska fan.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'll pull for the Whitest of White teams and White players this season & try to not directly pull for UGA (or the Falcons). I gave up pulling for the Hawks (or any NBA team) several years ago, but had been a Dawgs & Falcons fans since I was a young'un.
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Coach Mark Richt finally fired UGA's sorry@$$ D-Coordinator "Soft" Willie Martinez (& 2 other defensive coaches). Martinez seem to never made in-game adjustments & rarely called blitzes (even when the DL wasn't getting pressure of the QB). He also ran a coal-black defense (a shadow of the days of David Pollack...UGA's greatest defensive player). Hopefully, his successor will get some White athletes in the mix (ala legendary Dawgs Knox Culpepper, George Patton & Terry Hoage)!

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DixieDestroyer said:
Hopefully, his successor will get some White athletes in the mix (ala legendary Dawgs Knox Culpepper, George Patton & Terry Hoage)!

Dixie, but aren't there no white high school football players in the state of Georgia??? Especially at defense? I mean that would explain the lack of whites on the Dawgs defense
smiley29.gif

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
DixieDestroyer said:
Hopefully, his successor will get some White athletes in the mix (ala legendary Dawgs Knox Culpepper, George Patton & Terry Hoage)!

Dixie, but aren't there no white high school football players in the state of Georgia??? Especially at defense? I mean that would explain the lack of whites on the Dawgs defense
smiley29.gif
Hey ES, you're right! At least according to all of the evil scouting sites. Same with offense, there are no white WR's or RB's in the entire state of Georgia! If you happen to look at the playoffs and championship games for GA, you might want to see if that's true. From the various photos I've seen from playoff games in GA, so far the teams highlighted look like true caste teams, white O-lineman, white QB, black everything else.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
ES & FBD, Georgia is probably a top 5 state in the way of HS football talent...and many of those are good White defensive players. As we all know, (White)Rivals & Scout are full of complete horse dung & give these players 2-3 stars or less. Well, UGA DE David Pollack was a 3x All-American & the best defensive player in UGA history IMO...yet was only a 3 star recruit coming out of HS. Yet, complete UGA busts Marquis Elmore (DE/DT) was a 5 star recruit.

P.S. - UGA's sophomore punter Drew Butler (son of legendary UGA PK Kevin Butler) was named 1st team AA.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
athletic quarterback Logan Gray will remain at UGA and play wide receiver, as well as be the back-up qb. link courtesy to the boys at DraftDaddy.

MACON â€" Georgia backup quarterback Logan Gray, after considering the possibility of transferring to another school for the past few weeks, has decided to remain at UGA, where he'll double as a wide receiver.

Gray informed coach Mark Richt of his decision by phone Wednesday morning.

Richt said in an interview before a Bulldog Club meeting here Wednesday night that Gray will have a dual role with the Bulldogs.

"He's our second-team quarterback in my mind,"Â Richt said. "Logan has three years of knowledge in our system. He's a very capable quarterback, so it's nice to know that he's there for that purpose.

"But he would like to spend some time at receiver. I think he feels like he might have a better chance of helping us there. So I'm fine with that, I really am."Â

Gray, a junior, began considering the possibility of transferring after being listed as the No. 2 quarterback behind redshirt freshman Aaron Murray on Georgia's depth chart at the end of spring practice.

Richt said Wednesday night that he doesn't know yet how Gray's practice and meetings time will be divided this fall between quarterback and receiver. Richt said he expects Gray to work mostly at receiver this summer as he tries to learn the position, adding that Gray "isn't going to forget what to do at quarterback."Â

Richt conceded that Gray's interest in playing receiver limits his chances of beating out Murray for the starting quarterback job, although most observers felt those chances were slim anyway.

"If [Gray] is practicing at receiver all day long,"Â Richt said Wednesday night, "then there's not a very good chance"Â of becoming the No. 1 quarterback.

He added: "The way things are shaping up, it looks like Murray is the guy, doesn't it?"Â

Later, in his remarks to the Bulldog Club gathering, Richt said Murray "is certainly in the driver's seat [and] most likely will be the starter."Â

Gray's thoughts of transferring caused much concern in Bulldog Nation because Gray and Murray are the only scholarship quarterbacks currently in the UGA program. Hutson Mason, a recruit from Marietta's Lassiter High School, arrives this summer, and Richt said Mason can compete for the backup quarterback job "when he learns what to do."Â

Gray said in a written statement that he decided to stay at UGA "because I truly do love being a Georgia Bulldog. I want to be a part of this team getting back to the SEC championship game and winning it.

"I'm also looking forward to getting some work at receiver and am going to work hard to make the best out of my opportunity at this position as well,"Â Gray said. "Â I appreciate Coach Richt's patience while I made this decision and his helpful advice. Now, I want to put all of this behind me and focus on getting to work on preparations for next season at UGA."Â

Said Richt: "I'm really excited about Logan wanting to stay and for the reasons he is staying. When he called me [Wednesday] morning, I said: ‘Tell me why you decided to stay.' He said, ‘I love Georgia; I love my teammates; I think we can win; I want to win; I want to be there.'

"Those were all the right reasons to stay."Â
as an aside, it would be an incredible match-up problem for opposing secondaries (a Whitemare, mayhap?
smiley32.gif
)if the Bulldogs started the 6-2Gray (with 4.4 speed)and the skywalking 6-5 Kris Durham at wideout. i can dream, right?
smiley4.gif

JReb1

Mentor
Aaron Murray can also get them the ball, I've followed him in HS and he's frigging stud. You could tell in his sophomore season in HS that he was going to be a great collegiate QB and that he had the talent to play in the NFL one day. I'm SO happy that Murray is the starting QB for Georgia, I will be rooting for them like I did for the Gators when Tebow signed (and also local standout WR Riley Cooper) there as I also watched Tim in HS and knew he'd be a stud and future NFL player.

Scout has a decent writeup about Murray and his talents.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3183708
Edited by: JReb1

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Logan Gray has decided to stay at UGA. He'll be backup QB & get some snaps at WR.
smiley20.gif

Could Gray staying at UGA be a turning point for Dogs?

11:27 am May 13, 2010, by Bill King

Logan Gray putting the team first might pay off down the road. (Associated Press)

Logan Gray putting the team first might pay off down the road. (Associated Press)

The reality for Logan Gray is that, barring injury to someone else, he's probably not going to get a whole lot of playing time at either quarterback or receiver.

And yet he decided to remain a Georgia Bulldog. And that's great news.

In part, Gray's decision should be welcomed because of the depth Gray adds to both positions. Mark Richt said on Wednesday that in his mind Gray is the second-team quarterback. Whether that remains the case after true freshman Hutson Mason arrives on campus and Gray spends most of his practice time on receiver remains to be seen, but having an emergency signal-caller who has some game experience can't be a bad thing.

As for receiver, what are Gray's chances of passing some of the six current players at that position on the depth chart? Early on, probably pretty slim. But as people get dinged up and Gray gets the routes down, who knows? He didn't get much of a chance last season to show us what he can do, but I recall a couple of G-Days ago when he impressed quite a few folks with his running. Maybe if he gets a shot in something resembling the old Hines Ward package he can finally live up to what was expected of him when he first came to Athens.

But even if none of that happens and Gray simply serves as "insurance"Â￾ at quarterback and wide receiver, his returning to UGA might end up paying dividends in a more intangible sort of way. After a rash of folks leaving early for the NFL or throwing away their careers with stupid off-field behavior, we finally have a player putting "team"Â￾ first.

Gray said he's sticking at UGA "because I truly do love being a Georgia Bulldog. I want to be a part of this team getting back to the SEC championship game and winning it."Â￾

Perhaps his selfless example will inspire others on the team to buckle down and think Bulldogs first. At the very least, Gray essentially ceding the starting quarterback job to Aaron Murray should allow Murray to settle down and quit pressing so hard, which seemed to be the reason for his disappointing G-Day performance.

Usually when a Georgia team has won the SEC in the past, you can go back afterward and see a moment when that team's destiny took a turn. When they made the transition from a collection of players into a special team.

Maybe Logan Gray just gave the 2010 Dogs that moment.

http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2010/05/13/could-gray-staying-at-uga-be-a-turning-point-for-dogs/?cxntfid=blogs_junkyard_blawg

Edited by: DixieDestroyer