2008 Virginia Cavaliers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the likely white starters for 2008.

Offense

QB Peter Lalich or Marc Verica

TE John Phillips

C Jack Shields

RG Zak Stair

RT Will Barker

Defense

DE Alex Field

DE Sean Gottschalk

LB Jon Copper

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3581010

Virginia QB Lalich won't travel with team due to legal issues

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>

Associated Press

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia quarterback Peter Lalich won't accompany the Cavaliers to Connecticut for Saturday's game, coach Al Groh said Wednesday night, so that he can concentrate on legal problems and not be a distraction to the team.

Lalich, who has started the first two games, is due in Charlottesville General District Court on Sept. 26 for a hearing. The 20-year-old was arrested on an underage drinking charge July 13 and was given a deferred judgment provided he completes supervised probation.

The sophomore said in a release distributed by the school that he does not want his troubles to be a distraction to the Cavaliers (1-1).

"I love my team and my teammates and the way they have let me know that they trust me and have my back," Lalich said in the release. "Because I care so much about our team, it is best for me to step back temporarily from my starting position so that my teammates can focus 100 percent on getting ready for the game. Coach Groh and I have frequent conversations and we agree on this. I appreciate that Coach sees me first as a person, then as a quarterback.

"I make mistakes like everyone, but I have followed the terms of my probation and I am committed to our team and the University of Virginia."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia fullback RaShawn Jackson is facing felony charges in connection with a campus burglary committed in 2007.

University police said Wednesday that Jackson faces one count of breaking and entering and one count of grand larceny in connection with the break-in at Cauthen Dormitory last November.

NBC-29 in Charlottesville reported that Jackson turned himself in Tuesday and was freed on bond. Police said no additional details were immediately available.

It also was not immediately clear why it took more than 11 months for charges to be placed in the case, but the arrest did not affect Jackson's status on the football team.

"At this time RaShawn Jackson is still a participating member of the football team," athletic director Craig Littlepage said in a statement distributed Wednesday night.

"This matter will be handled within the team and the athletics department, and his final status with the team will not be determined until such time as the legal process is resolved or additional information becomes available," Littlepage said.

The athletic department said it will have no additional comments until the case is resolved.

Jackson has a hearing scheduled in Albemarle General District Court on Nov. 20.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3671686