RT Kyle Hix

C Chris Hall

LG Charlie Tanner

LT Adam Ulatoski

Defense

LS Blake GideonEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Bronk

Mentor
Good job on all these teams, as ususal Reb. Within the past 15 years Texas had an all-white defensive front. it was one of the best defensive lines in school history, too.

But, things have changed.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Updated: September 11, 4:54 PM ET
Hurricane means Texas and Arkansas will play Sept. 27

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>
By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com

Texas officials have decided to postpone the No. 8-ranked Longhorns' football game against Arkansas because of Hurricane Ike.

The game, which was scheduled for Saturday afternoon in Austin, will be played Sept. 27. The time of kickoff will be announced at a later date. Both teams have open dates that weekend.

"We have been monitoring this situation since Sunday and, at this time, feel confident this is the right thing to do," Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said. "A football game becomes less important when you are dealing with the safety of the people at Texas."

One particular item of concern would have been packing more than 90,000 fans into Darrell K. Royal/Texas Memorial Stadium as evacuees would be leaving the area because of the storm. Texas Department of Transportation officials announced Wednesday they will make traffic one-way along Interstate 37 from Corpus Christi to Pleasanton, about 20 miles south of San Antonio, beginning at 7 a.m. Thursday to help speed the flow of people leaving the storm's projected landfall area.

- McNeese State canceled Saturday's home football game against Cal Poly because of Hurricane Ike's potential effects on Lake Charles in Louisiana.

The university, situated between Galveston, Texas, and New Orleans, is scheduled to close Thursday at noon, and Calcasieu Parish has called an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew, starting Friday.

McNeese athletic director Tommy McClelland said the school will work on plans to bring Cal Poly to Lake Charles in the future. McNeese State is next scheduled to play Cal Poly in California in 2010.

- Oklahoma State announced that Saturday's home football game against Missouri State would kick off at 1:05 p.m. ET, six hours earlier than originally scheduled. The Stillwater area was already under a flash flood watch from a weather system unrelated to the hurricane, and officials hoped the later kickoff time would make travel to and from the game safer.

The Austin American-Statesman reported more than a dozen high school football games in its circulation area have been moved to Thursday night.

Although Texas and Arkansas have Sept. 27 off, the date still could be problematic for Texas. It's the same weekend as the Austin City Limits Music Festival, which annually brings thousands of people to the Austin area.

Hotel rooms are difficult to find throughout central Texas during that weekend. It might be difficult to accommodate the Arkansas team party -- much less fans of both schools -- because of the festival.

And it would also make for a tough stretch for the Longhorns, who start the Big 12 schedule the following week. Texas' Big 12 schedule begins with games against Colorado (in Boulder), Oklahoma (in Dallas), Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech (in Lubbock) in the first five weeks.

Arkansas will also find its schedule more challenging now. The Razorbacks had an open date between games against Alabama and Florida, but now must play the Longhorns in the middle of them.

Other games affected by Hurricane Ike:

-The Stanford-TCU game also has been moved up because of the storm. The game will be played at 1 p.m. ET in Forth Worth.

-Air Force's game against Houston has been moved to Gerald J. Ford Stadium at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. ET. The game was moved from John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium in Houston.

-The Washington State-Baylor game has been moved up to Friday night in Waco. The game was originally scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Kickoff is now scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday night.

Tim Griffin covers college football for ESPN.com. You can contact him at espntimgriff@yahoo.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3580979&amp;type=sto ry[/url]

referendum

Mentor
I'm ambivalent about rooting for Texas from a CF'er perspective. On the one hand they have a trifecta of starting QB, WR, and TE, and 4 white linemen. On the other hand an all black defense. Still, I'm sure Shipley is getting lots more national attention playing for Texas than for Western Michigan or New Mexico, and it would be great to see that catapult him into a decent draft position.

SteveB

Mentor
I believe that Blake Gideon is starting at Safety. If he's not starting, he is getting a lot of playing time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good spot SteveB! Blake Gideon is the starting left safety. I'll update the starters list.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Huge games for Shipley and McCoy today. It was a great to see a mostly white offense for the Longhorns. I remember just a few years back when they only had 3 and 4 white starters for offense and defense combined. I enjoy seeing Oklahoma lose as much as any team.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Will the media promote the idea that Texas' O-line might be the best in the nation?

Texas had 161 yards rushing compared to only 48 for Oklahoma. RT - Kyle Hix - is an incredibly mobile and physical run-blocker; A REAL athlete.

"Optimum functionality" is what we are seeing. Think about "the evolution of a species" -- which entails striving for every evolutionarily-advantageous trait and the discarding of other traits that only hinder the species.

It's a real treat to watch the fluidity-of-movement that so many White-linemen display. It's important for more people to notice things like this. So many black-linemen run like they have something stuck up their rear, and, yet, they are treated like "athletes" and nature's perfect creations. The Big Lie knows no bounds.

I'm excited about a number of young White OT's that happen to be decisive run-blockers. They are all over the field and aren't "awkward" like some of their overhyped counterparts....

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It is amazing to me to see so many overweight black linemen with hands on hips in the first quarter. I'm glad to see a whiter Texas offensive team too, and maybe it will continue.

Freedom

Mentor
Shipley looks like a very talented receiver and an even better punt returner. Making it through Texas' system, he must be even better than he looks. He kept them in this game.

Seahawker71

Freedom said:
Shipley looks like a very talented receiver and an even
better punt returner. Making it through Texas' system, he must be even
better than he looks. He kept them in this game.

Agreed I liked the way he kept them in the game and his quicks were nice
too. This guy is maximizing his 4 years of playing time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Texas will regret the decision to kick Buck off the team. Funny how this article says "he left the team."
smiley5.gif
So much for diversity of thought!

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8786102/Texas-center-Hall -out-for-miss-Kansas-game?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas center Chris Hall will miss Saturday's game at Kansas after spraining his left knee in practice.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Trainer Kenny Boyd said Hall was injured Tuesday, and there was no timetable Wednesday for his return. After the Kansas game, Texas has 11 days off before playing rival Texas A&amp;M on Thanksgiving night.

The injury to one of the team's top linemen creates a problem for Texas in trying to protect quarterback Colt McCoy. Hall's primary backup, Buck Burnette, left the team last week after posting a racial slur about President-elect Barack Obama on a social networking Web site.

Freshman David Snow will get his first start in Hall's place. Hall had started 22 of the past 23 games at various positions on the line.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Keep in mind with Redshirt FreshmanBlake Gideon at safety it will be interesting to see whether or not stud safety Nolan Brewster will transfer? All of UT's safety's are young and playing time looks hard to come by. Possible canidates? Minnesota has to be a favorite because his dad (head coach) is there.Edited by: celticdb15

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jordan Shipley to miss spring football
AUSTIN (AP) - Texas wide receiver Jordan Shipley will miss spring practice after having surgery on his right shoulder on Friday.

"It's an injury I aggravated a couple of times during the year, but was able to play through," Shipley said in a statement released by Texas. "I worked hard to rehab it and kept playing, but now that I have time, I got it cleaned up and can get back to full strength for next season."

Shipley, a third-team All-American, caught 89 passes for 1,060 yards and 11 touchdowns last season for the Longhorns (12-1). The senior has already been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA to play in 2009 because of leg injuries that sidelined him for the 2004 and '05 seasons.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9125976/Shipley-to-miss-s pring-practice-with-injury[/url]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ManifestDestiny said:
Shipley's injury history means he will not be a high draft pick, if he'll even be drafted at all.

If he has a second consecutive big year, it shouldn't affect Shipley's draft position. Blacks are drafted on the first day every year who had injury problems in college. Most likely it'll be that other pesky factor having to do with Jordan's genetic inability to have loose hips and to make big plays at the next level.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I don't think this injury will hurt Jordan at all, providing he has a full recovery and a good season next year.

Don Wassall said:
ManifestDestiny said:
Shipley's injury history means he will not be a high draft pick, if he'll even be drafted at all.

If he has a second consecutive big year, it shouldn't affect Shipley's draft position.  Blacks are drafted on the first day every year who had injury problems in college.  Most likely it'll be that other pesky factor having to do with Jordan's genetic inability to have loose hips and to make big plays at the next level.
Right, blacks are able to overcome the injury label. We are talking about a white guy at a skill position. I think teams will be too cautious.

Now, if he has another great season, then I'm sure teams will look past it. But if he is average/below average and teams think the injury had something to do with it, his draft stock will fall alot.