2008 NCAA Championships

SteveB

Mentor
The regional meets start this weekend to qualify for the 2008 championships. Here are the white sprinters, jumpers, and hurdlers who have qualified near the top of the class for regionals, with a good chance of moving on to nationals. Let's wish them luck on the road to the championships.

Names are listed by regional seed, name, and qualifying time/distance/height.

East Regional
High Jump - 1. Garrett Huyler 2.20m, 6. Matt Evans 2.15m, 7. Jason Williams 2.14m, 10. Justin Frick 2.10m
Long Jump - 5. Sam Tilly 7.76m

Mid-East Regional
110H - 7. Josh Hembrough 13.78, 10. Brian Kaluf 14.07
High Jump - 1. Grant Lindsey 2.22m, 8. Greg Shroka 2.14m, 9. Brandon Fitch 2.10m
400m - 10. Sammy Biggs 46.46

Mid-West Regional
100m - 9. Mike Myer 10.35
(note: Ronalds Arajs qualified with a 10.27, which would have been the 6th seed, but he got injured in his conference championship and had to withdrawal
smiley19.gif
)
400m - 4. Drew Morano 45.65, 5. Lukas Hulett 45.80
110h - 3. Lehann Fourie 13.71, 8. Cade Liverman 13.93, 9. Zach Ross 13.96
High Jump - 1. Dusty Jonas 2.36m, 3. Scott Sellers 2.30m, 4. Paul Hamilton 2.21m, 8. Paul Gill 2.15m
Long Jump - 6. Rok Derzanic 7.68m

West Regional
400m - 2. Jordan Boase 44.82
High Jump - 4. Trent Arrivey 2.20m
Long Jump - 4. Savvas Diakonikolas 7.89m, 5. Ryan Grinnell 7.80m

Other white athletes of note that qualified (many of them we have mentioned before on this board):

Micheal Gauthier 100m
Travis Picou 200m
Ryan Varner 200m
Curtis Leuenberger 200m

These aren't all of the names of white athletes competing in regionals, so feel free to add to the list.
Edited by: SteveB

SteveB

Mentor
The regional meet results are posted. The top five competitors for each regional event qualifies for the national championships. * means that they qualified for the championships.

- Justin Frick* wins the East Regional High Jump at 7'-3", Jason Williams* ties for 3rd and Garrett Huyler finishes 7th.

- Sam Tilley* finishes 5th in the East Regional finals Long Jump.

- Josh Hembrough qualified in the 4th position in the 110h at the Mid-East Regional. Brian Kaluf just missed the finals in the 9th position.

- Grant Lindsey* won the Mid-East high jump at 7'-2.5". Brandon Fitch finished 3rd.

- Drew Morano qualified in 3rd position in the Mid-West Regional 400m. Lukas Hulett qualified in 7th position.

- Lehann Fourie qualified in 7th position in the 110h at the Mid-West Regional. Zach Ross qualified in 8th position.

- Dusty Jonas* wins the Mid-West High Jump at 7'-7", Scott Sellers* finishes 3rd.

- Trent Arrivey* wins the West Regional High Jump at 7'-3.25".

- Savvas Diakonikolas* finishes 3rd in the West Regional Long Jump final. Ryan Grinnell finishes 7th.

- Jordan Boase qualifies in the 1st position for the 400m final at the West Regional. Andrew Dargie qualifies in the 7th position, Jeff Gudaitis qualifies 8th.

White jumpers win all 4 regional high jump events. I guess white men can jump. Whites are also well represented in the 400m finals at the West and Mid-West Regionals. Best of luck tomorrow.
Edited by: SteveB

SteveB

Mentor
More results from the regional meets. * means that he qualified for the national championships.

- Josh Hembrough* finishes 3rd in the 110H at the Mid-East Regional.

- Drew Morano* finishes 3rd and Lukas Hulett* finishes 5th in the 400m at the Mid-West Regional.

- Zach Ross finishes 7th and Lehann Fourie 8th in the 110H at the Mid-West Regional

- Jordan Boase* finishes 3rd, Andrew Dargie* 5th, and Jeff Gudaitis 6th in the West Regional 400m.

Good luck to the qualifiers at the championships.

I was very upset to see that there were no white sprinters in the mens and womens 100 and 200 m finals. What I don't get is if Britain can get guys like Craig Pickering, why don't we have guys like this in the NCAA? Maybe that kid who won the NIKE high school indoor championships last year will pan out to be a great sprinter, but there has to be more than him.

Also, it was interesting to see the difference between the men's and women's 800 m finals. For women's it was 7 white and 1 black, but for men's it was 5 black, 2 white, and 1 hispanic. Hispanic Josh Hernandez won by 1/100 of a second with a time of 1:45.31 over white runner Andrew Wheating from Oregon.

Overall though, white athletes are not well represented in the short distance track events.

G

I think it's because in the US, white boys are told everyday, from the time they're old enough to care about sports, that "black guys are better" and "leave sports to the black guys". Eventually that has to have an effect.

That doesn't happen in many other white nations. White boys still try hard there. There are only 20 million people in Australia, but their results are spectacular. 3rd in the 4x400 meter relay at Athens with 3 white runners.

Look at the situation in basketball. The US lost the 04 Olympic tournament with a team that had two black NBA MVPs. What if the US had sent 12 white players? Would America have lost every game?

That would mean that small white nations such as Spain and Lithuania would be crushing the US which has 200 million white citizens. That's absolutely pathetic.

A real testament to the state of white athletics in the US.

Observer

Mentor
I think little Australia actually took silver in Athens in the 4x400. Nigeria took 3rd.

mastermulti

Master
As an Aussie it makes me quite proud to see we can put up a good relay
team from time to time.
Remember the 1995 Worlds 4x1 men where we won silver behind
Donovan Bailey's team after winning our semi in 38.17.
My fave Australian sprinter was Damien Marsh who anchored and lost less
than a metre to the world champ on the finishing straight. He won a 100
against Mike Marsh, Linford, Drummond, Bailey and Mitchell 3 weeks later
in Monaco.

The secret (apart from not being brainwashed that whites can't win) is
Australian team-work resulting from our old colonial days and having to
prove ourselves to the mother country. We also have a good national
Institute of Sport that was established after our dismal performance in the
Montreal Olympics back in '76. We often punch above our weight.
RSA have much the same attitude in some waysEdited by: mastermulti

G

Both Australia and South Africa punch far above their weight mastermulti. South Africa is truly amazing. Only 5 million whites in South Africa and look what they can do.

I got bashed in the golf section for pointing out just how much tougher Australians and South Africans are, man for man. But I'll stand by the statement. The average white American has been turned into a wimp. France is not far behind.

nevada said:
I think it's because in the US, white boys are told everyday, from the time they're old enough to care about sports, that "black guys are better" and "leave sports to the black guys". Eventually that has to have an effect.

That doesn't happen in many other white nations. White boys still try hard there. There are only 20 million people in Australia, but their results are spectacular. 3rd in the 4x400 meter relay at Athens with 3 white runners.

Look at the situation in basketball. The US lost the 04 Olympic tournament with a team that had two black NBA MVPs. What if the US had sent 12 white players? Would America have lost every game?

That would mean that small white nations such as Spain and Lithuania would be crushing the US which has 200 million white citizens. That's absolutely pathetic.

A real testament to the state of white athletics in the US.

The thing is that there are fast white athletes that are doing other sports, such as baseball, basketball, football, wrestling, lacrosse, hockey, skiing, short track ice skating, soccer, etc. If you took the fastest guys doing these sports and put them all into sprinting, in a few years you would see a number of them emerging on the national level.

Also, I think that 9th grade year in HS is one of the most important years. It's that point where the kids are directed towards running mid-long distance. If more were directed towards the sprints, naturally more would start to emerge. I'm really hoping for guys like Wariner, Pickering, Jeremy Rankin to hopefully send some level of influence out to other white athletes.