2008 Connecticut Huskies

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are my projections as to the whites that will start this year. UConn started 8 whites in 05', 6 in 06', and 6 in 07'

Offense

QB Tyler Lorenzen

WR Brad Kanuch

TE Steve Brouse

RG Zach Hurd

RT Dan Ryan

Defense

DT Alex Polito

DT Rob Lunn

LB Scott Lutrus

White Power

Mentor
Uconn has recruited whites to play running back recently also what about Donald Brown something tells me he is getting the caste treatment. I do not beleive he is a brother maybe you could tell me what you think. What makes me think this is because despite great numbers in high school he was barely offered by any schools except Uconn I beleive. Another point they have recruited Robbie Frey and Scott Coconnan in the last few years to be running backs. I am just throwing this out their Colonel if you look at Brown's picture he does not have African features more hispanic I beleive.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think he is mixed, and don't consider him to be white. I couldn't find Scott with google. Frey is a Soph and it remains to be see if or how he will be used. I just don't give the benefit of the doubt to teams like UConn when it comes to whether they see a mixed player as white or not. I think the one drop rule still applies in this case. Just my thoughts. Either way, I don't see how Brown is getting the Caste treatment. He may have to split carries with another back this year, but we'll see what happens. Andre Dixon is a decent back.

White Power

Mentor
Sorry Colonel I meant Nathan Sherr, Scott Cocannon was recruited by northwestern to play running back.Anyway After Donald Brown and Andre Dixon the Huskies have two white freshman running backs 3rd string and 4th string Robbie Frey and Nathan Sherr both of them will get playing time this year, and the future does look brighter as far as running backs at Uconn.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, I see that Nathan Sherr had no scholarship offers, so hopefully UConn will use he and Robbie Frey in the future. It is good news that they are both there, as they are both built for TB, not FB. It actually looks like Frey needs to gain a little weight. Anyway, thanks for the info on these two White Power. We'll keep our eyes on them.

whiteCB

Master
Robbie Frey Commits to UConn
Robbie Frey

By Cory James
Scout.com
Posted Aug 6, 2006

Randy Edsall and his staff have mined Pennsylvania again and their efforts have delivered their third commitment from the Keystone State. Lehighton's Robbie Frey put up some gaudy statistics as a junior and they earned him a scholarship offer from UConn that he accepted on Saturday night.

Lehighton, Pa. running back prospect Robbie Frey made a verbal commitment Saturday night after narrowing his choices down to Akron and UConn. "I committed to UConn," Frey said.

The 6-foot-0, 185-pound product of Lehighton Area High School claimed that his choice really came down to two broad categories. "In the end I had to weigh out the positives and negatives of both the football program and education," Frey said. "When I looked at UConn they won me over because the football program is booming lately, but also Coach (Randy) Edsall works his kids on the field and in the classroom, which is what I liked the most."

After Frey made his decision on Saturday evening, he knew who to call first -- "I called Coach Edsall last night to tell him that I was committing," Frey said. "He said that he was really excited and that I will hear from them soon to set up an official visit."

While Frey has yet to schedule his official visit to UConn, Husky fans can rest easy with his commitment -- "I do not plan on taking any other visits," Frey said.

UConn has recruited Frey as a running back but he realizes that nothing is set in stone. "They recruited me as a running back which is where I would like to play," Frey said. "I also played free safety and I am willing to play another position if running back doesn't work out -- but I want to give it a shot at running back first."

Frey could be seen running through defenses last year at Lehighton Area High School on is way to 2,272 rushing yards, 24 touchdowns, and 150 receiving yards. Frey's spectacular junior season also earned him first team Associated-Press Class AAA All-State honors.

Frey had one last comment to send out to his future Husky fans, "I just want to tell the fans that I am looking forward to coming up and helping the program further," Frey said. I am willing to play another position if running back doesn't work out

Another white kid that is willing to move to another position. HOW incredibly lame and predictable.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep CB, we have too many team players.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Black backup LB Dabney arrested for fighting in student union.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9406250/UConn-LB-charged- with-breach-of-peace[/url]
STORRS, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut backup linebacker Kijuan Dabney has been charged with breach of peace after a fight at the school's student union.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

According to campus police, Dabney was arrested at about 12:25 a.m. Sunday, and is scheduled to appear in court on April 7.

Police say the fight broke out during an event sanctioned by the school, and that Dabney was physically removed from that event.

Dabney played in six games as a sophomore last season, mostly on special teams, recording two tackles. He had five tackles as a freshman.

A message left with the school's athletic department for comment was not immediately returned.