2008 Browns

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Browns have had fewer white players and white starters in each of Romeo Crennel's four seasons as the head coach in Cleveland. From 9 white starters in 2005 -- including 4 on defense -- and 22 white players overall, the 2008 Brownies have but 5 white starters and 15 white players on the roster to begin the season.

The change is particularly noticeable on defense. From 4 starters three seasons ago, there is now but a single white defensive player, Nick Sorensen, who is listed as a safety but is used almost exclusively as a White Special Teams Demon.

Other than Sorensen and the kickers and long snapper, all of the other white players are offensive linemen, quarterbacks, and backup TE Steve Heiden.

Cleveland started an all-white offensive line last year, one of three NFL teams to do so (the others were New England and Green Bay). This year four of the five starters are white -- Seth McKinney, who started at right guard last season, begins '08 as a backup. Kevin Shaffer is the right tackle, Hank Fraley out of Robert Morris, "Old Stumpy," is the center, Eric Steinbach starts at left guard, and Joe Thomas is the left tackle. Thomas, the second overall pick of the '07 draft from Wisconsin, has more than lived up to his draft position.

Besides McKinney, Ryan Tucker and Scott Young are o-line backups.

Derek Anderson was perhaps the biggest surprise of the 2007 NFL season, stepping in after Charlie Frye was summarily dispatched to Seattle following the first game of the regular season and promptly playing at an all-star level. The 6-6 230 pound Anderson threw for nearly 3,800 yards and tossed 29 TD passes, astonishing the drunk white fans and Brian Billick, Baltimore's former "offensive genius," who had cut Anderson in training camp in 2005 after drafting him.

Brady Quinn is stuck behind Anderson again. Quinn, a far better athlete than Jamarcus Russell, the rotund overall first pick of the '07 draft, will most likely be yet another white star at quarterback when he gets his opportunity, with Cleveland or another team, as he is smart, mobile, and has an accurate arm.

Former Miami star Ken Dorsey is the Browns' third quarterback.

33-year-old WR Joe Jurevicius is on the PUP list to begin the season, burdened again with major knee problems. Jurevicius was Cleveland's number two receiver the past two seasons but will likely be used as their third WR in '08 if his knees allow him to play. But then again, given that number two WR Donte Stallworth can't even get through warmups without getting injured, Joe may yet see a lot of action at some point this season.

WR Kevin Kasper, seemingly waived by half the teams in the NFL without ever getting a genuine opportunity to play, looked like he was going to make the team as the third or fourth receiver but was put on IR with a neck injury.

NUMBER OF WHITE STARTERS: 5

APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF WHITE PLAYERS ON 53 MAN ROSTER: 15

GRADE: F+

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Actually, they started 6 whiteys (all offense) against the Cowboys. This should bump up to 7 once Jurevicius is healthy.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I've always thought of the Browns as the Giants of the AFC. All-white O-line, QB and one token at the skills positions (TE or WR).

The proper pigmentation on D, of course (coal black).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Liverlips said:
Actually, they started 6 whiteys (all offense) against the Cowboys. This should bump up to 7 once Jurevicius is healthy.

The Browns have 4 white starters on the o-line plus the QB. Rex Hadnot (black) is the starting RG but didn't play against the Cowboys because of a knee injury so they did have an all-white line in that game. Hadnot's been practicing this week and may start against the Steelers.

The amount of white starters is often going to vary from game to game because of injuries and demotions. Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's Braylon Edwards' excuses for having hands of stone:

Unofficially, Brown WR <STRONG style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Braylon Edwards[/b] has half as many dropped passes (10) as he has catches (20) this season. This week, he tried to pass along some of the blame for why he's having so much trouble hanging on to the ball. "It's a situation where I don't think anybody's in a groove," Edwards said. "I don't think me. I don't think <STRONG style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Derek Anderson[/b]. I don't think the offensive coordinator (Rob Chudzinski). We've had a couple games when I only got three passes a game. We all have to find a way to get in that groove. ... We're not calling the kind of plays we did last year. We're not going after teams like we did." He also said he's not getting enough deep, outside routes to work with, and "I'm worrying too much about that and I'm not playing football."

Apparently professional athlete Braylon has to feel "groovy" in order to have the necessary concentration and hand-eye coordination needed tonot dropa pass.
smiley36.gif
<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">Edited by: Don Wassall

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
That's an example of a post that might need it's own thread. I wouldn't normally click on the team thread but saw that Don was the last poster so I came to check it out. We don't already have a thread on Braylon Edwards, but his idiotic comments might warrant a thread just for him.
smiley36.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Expert analysis I found:

Spin: There will be weeks where the Broncos match up nicely enough to make a No. 3 receiver like Stokley fantasy-relevant, but not this one. Cleveland boasts an underrated pass defense, and Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal are performing too well for Stokley to get many looks.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1858

Well, Jay Cutler threw for 447 and 3 TD's...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brady Quinn played very well in his first start. They would have won if the Browns hadn't been plagued by drops and a fumble by "The Warrior."

I'd like to know what some of you guys thought about Brandon Marshall's attempt to display a black and white glove in honor of Barry O in last night's game. I see that a white player put a stop to it. Just say Marshall being interviewed on ESPN's "NFL Live" a few minutes ago. Looks rather Asiatic-looking, sort of like Elderick Woods.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
What a sorry display of tackling by the Cleveland Blacks err...Browns defense last night.

Most of them looked scared of contact.

Romeo Crennel has trained them well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Derek Anderson looks to have sustained a serious injury at the end of the game today as he was sacked. He looked great last year but the o-line isn't as proficient this season, Braylon Edwards can't catch a ball, Joe Jurevicius missed the whole season, Donte Stallworth is injured as usual, Jamal Lewis probably can't break 5.1 in the 40, and Kellen Winslow is a major head case.

The Browns are almost as bad as the Bengals. ESPN has a story running that it will take a "miracle" for Romeo Crennel to keep his job beyond the end of the season.Edited by: Don Wassall

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What happened to Brady Quinn?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
What happened to Brady Quinn?

Yeah, what happened to Quinn? I thought he would start after last week's game. Maybe thats why Crennel is on the hot seat even more now. These black coaches just don't have what it takes, imho.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Quinn broke his finger and is out for the rest of the season.
smiley19.gif

Well, that explains it. Thanks for the info Tough!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Now Derek Anderson is out for the season. With Dorsey at QB the Browns will probably lose the rest of their games ensuring Romeo's overdue firing.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Browns signed Bruce Gradkowski to back up dorsey. I hope he gets some playing time, he was fun to watch at Toledo and gruden gave him no chance to develop. He reminds me of Jeff Garcia, hopefully he can at least show his worth. I wouldn't mind him backing up Quinn. I think Anderson will be traded, he is young and has a strong arm with some sucess, alot of his poor numbers have to be attributed to the recievers dropping so many passes. I think Quinn is the real deal so it would nice to "spread the wealth"
smiley36.gif
and have Anderson go to a team like the Jaguars who need a QB that can throw the ball more than 25 yds.