2007 Iowa State Cyclones

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are my projections of the white starters for the Kock-less Cyclones this season.

Offense
FB Derrick Catlett
WR Todd Blythe
TE Ben Barkema
LT Doug Dedrick
C Brandon Johnson
RG Tom Schmeling

Defense
NG Bryce Braaksma
SS Caleb Berg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's a falloff for Iowa State from last year. They tend to be a very up and down program as far as number of white starters, whereas most I-A schools are pretty predictable from year to year when it comes to their racial breakdown.

Todd Blythe is yet another of those tall and fast white receivers with great hands. He has superstar written all over him, but of course that means nothing when it comes to playing at the next level. How Blythe's being treated by the NFL will undoubtedly a topic we'll be talking about a year from now.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
That's a falloff for Iowa State from last year.  They tend to be a very up and down program as far as number of white starters, whereas most I-A schools are pretty predictable from year to year when it comes to their racial breakdown. 

Todd Blythe is yet another of those tall and fast white receivers with great hands.  He has superstar written all over him, but of course that means nothing when it comes to playing at the next level.  How Blythe's being treated by the NFL will undoubtedly a topic we'll be talking about a year from now. 

Blythe HAS TO have a great season numbers wise and stay healthy. He could be viewed as a Samardjiza clone by scouts(which is great as jeff was going to be a 1st Rd pick). But Blythe needs to post great numbers and have some highlight reel catches which he is more than capable than doing.

KG2422

Mentor
His injuries and that he plays for Iowa State rather than Notre Dame will probably hurt him in the eyes of draft "gurus".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
KG2422 said:
His injuries and that he plays for Iowa State rather than Notre Dame will probably hurt him in the eyes of draft "gurus".

I think you hit the nail on the head. The lists I've seen of late of the top college receivers for the upcoming season all rank Blythe well down the rankings or not at all. Playing for Notre Dame was the main reason Samardzija was so well known and well-regarded even by the Caste media whores. If Blythe can't exhibit "blinding speed" at the '08 Combine (assuming he's even invited), I can see him getting treated much like Aaron Hosack, another tall white receiver who should be starting in the NFL but who is ignored even after dominating NFL Europe on an annual basis.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Blythe also has an inconsistent QB in Brett Meyer throwing to him. Hopefully Todd can come out and have a good healthy season to improve his stock.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Leonardfan said:
Blythe also has an inconsistent QB in Brett Meyer throwing to him. Hopefully Todd can come out and have a good healthy season to improve his stock.

Hosack had the same problem when he played for Minnesota, the quarterback was some light-skinned black guy with a Muslim name.

Meyer is inconsistent but not a bad QB. Even so Blythe has been a big-time playmaker -- a touchdown about every five catches which is very impressive, and averages over 18 yards per reception. I see Iowa State's site has him listed at 6-6. I thought he was 6-5.

IfBlythe was black he would be revered going into his senior season like Calvin Johnson was at Georgia Tech last year. Johnson finished with 2,927 yards receiving and averaged around 16 yards per catch, both Georgia Tech records; Blythe has 2,317 yards with this season yet to go and averages 18 yards per catch. Johnson had 28 TDs; Blythe has 26.Edited by: Don Wassall

eaxs

Don't forget that <st1:place><st1:placeName>Iowa</st1:placeName>
<st1:place>State</st1:place></st1:place>'s new coach, Gene Chizik,
came from Caste-whore Mack Brown's staff at UT. "Dark times"
(literally and figuratively) might be in store for the Cyclones.

patriot

Guru
blythe probably one of the top five recievers in the country. I had him ranked ahead of samardzja last year.

voice

Guru
I am worried about my Alma Mater too. Chizik has said he is going to recuit more in Texas which is a bad sign.

Meyer has been dominant throughout his career at ISU even though he was setback when he blew his knee.

Meyer is average at best but at least his strength(chuck it up and hope) is Blythes real strength too. Blythe is an all around stud but as a state HS High Jump champion he can really go up and get it.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Todd Blythe is without a doubt one of the most physically gifted receivers in the nation, if not THE most gifted. when he's healthy, he is simply uncoverable.

it's a shame he has been banged up so much.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree voice. Whenever I hear recruiting more in Texas, I think oh great, more blacks! I hope I get to see Todd showcase his talent some out in Utah. We don't get a lot of Eastern games, but maybe things will be better this year. Isn't the Big 10 starting their own network this year? I know the MWC already has one (The Mountain), and the SEC is contemplating the same thing for the future.

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
I agree voice. Whenever I hear recruiting more in Texas, I think oh great, more blacks! I hope I get to see Todd showcase his talent some out in Utah. We don't get a lot of Eastern games, but maybe things will be better this year. Isn't the Big 10 starting their own network this year? I know the MWC already has one (The Mountain), and the SEC is contemplating the same thing for the future.

Yeah the Big 10 network is lauching this fall right before the football season begins.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Todd Blythe is having a nice day so far. Unreal catch as his helmet was ripped off, and there was no facemask call. Then he threw a nice completion to the QB.