2007 Browns

Stonewall

Guru
Thanks for the info, Quiet Speed. It's mind boggling to me (especially in 1983-1984) that a defensive player who finished 5th in the Heisman was caste to also-ran status. To Hoage's credit, despite the slights and overall discrimination he had a solid NFL career. He made some key interceptions over a 10 year period. Plus, he had to play in Philly in the late 1980s with thugs like Andre Waters. As tough as Hoage was physically, he was just as tenacious mentally.

Even Buddy Ryan had a spot for him on several of Ryan's teams.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I think the Browns were screwed. I know football has changed from the old days, but damn, the Colts laid down for the Titans. And now, this story may irritate Cleveland's fans even more, if true.The last line of this story would be of interest to Bigunreal.

[url]http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/01/titans_colts_guilty _of_collusi.html[/url]
<H3>Titans, Colts guilty of collusion?</H3>
<H4>Posted by <A href="http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/about.html" target="_blank">From staff reports</A> January 03, 2008 15:36PM</H4>
<DIV =categories>Categories: Browns
<DIV =categories>We know Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy didn't do the Browns any favors (read: Jim Sorgi) in their game against Tennessee on Sunday night, but he may have done the Titans one, a MSNBC report suggests.

Titans quarterback Kerry Collins says Colts coaches told his team they wouldn't call a timeout to force Titans a punt at the end of the game.

Instead, Collins took a knee, sealing the Titans' victory and knocking the Browns out of the playoffs.

The story says:
<BLOCKQUOTE>Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio on Thursday that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

The report also quotes Titans coach Jeff Fisher saying he "knew" Dungy wouldn't use the timeout because he knows him well.

Dungy is quoted on Colts.com as saying, "I have to congratulate the Titans and I think it is a feather in the cap of our division to get three teams in the playoffs."

If the allegations are true, the Browns could possibly file a grievance for collusion, which is against NFL rules.

Incidently, the Titans were a late six-point favorite heading into the game. The final score, of course, was Titans 16, Colts 10.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Incidently, the Titans were late six-point favorites heading into the game. The final score, of course, was Titans 16, Colts 10.

Wasn't it -6.5? If so, the Colts beat the spread. If it was -6, this game would have been a push, no?

I wonder if the Colts' coaches actually communicated this to the Titans, or if Fischer really did just assume Dungy wouldn't call a timeout? And I wonder what kind of blowback Collins is going to get for saying something like this publicly? Edited by: White Shogun

Tom Iron

Mentor
I don't know about any collusion. More important now is the question of who's going to start for the Titans, Collins or Young. What's the latest on young's "injury?"

Tom Iron...

I must admit, I do not understand the morality of the NFL. The Patriots are lambasted for "running up the score" by having the 4th string running back go for it on 4th and goal; whilst it is OK for the Colts to play a load of back-ups and not care about winning against the Titans, which eliminates a potentially more dangerous play-off opponent.

The Saints and the Vikings could have a similar complaint against the Cowboys, had they both not lost anyway.

I can understand giving back-ups a run-out in meaningless end of season games, but only if there is nothing at stake for both sides. </span>Otherwise the NFL should insist teams play there strongest sides, and punish those who don't.

</span>Its not as if there aren't opportunities for back-ups earlier in the season. Why do teams - when leading by more than two TDs - take a knee in the last 2 minutes of a game instead of giving reserves a chance?

Vince Young must be the worst and least deserving QB to ever lead a team i to the playoffs? The whole Colts performance has left a sour taste and despite the lightness of their roster I hope they lose in the playoffs.
</span>

backrow

Hall of Famer
linked by draftdaddy.com:

Rookie left tackle Joe Thomas has been named to the A.F.C.'s Pro Bowl roster.

smiley32.gif

here's the article

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! I can't recall the last time a white rookie o-lineman made the Pro Bowl. Tony Boselli maybe. Unfortunately I can think of two black rookieswho made it just last year -- Marcus O'Neil of the Chargers and Jammal Brown of the Saints. Both, to put it bluntly, sucked this year. Poor O'Neil had to face Kyle Vanden Bosch twice, once in the regular season and once in the playoffs, and didn't come close to containing him either time. Brown was one of the reasons the Saints offense tailed off in '07 compared to '06. He's already the next Reuben Brown, a black o-lineman who routinely made the Pro Bowl up to and including the season when he was summarily waived by the Bills.
smiley36.gif

Thomas is deserving. Along with the three Patriots o-linemen who made it, a bit of realism has finally come to the fore when it comes to recognizing who the good offensive linemen actually are, as compared to the Magical Negroes for Life who get in once and then are mindlessly re-elected every season until they are wheelchair bound. Calling Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jonesand Larry Allen.
smiley17.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Thomas is deserving. Along with the three Patriots o-linemen who made it, a bit of realism has finally come to the fore when it comes to recognizing who the good offensive linemen actually are"

Don,

The black sumo you're referring to on the Chargers is actually Marcus McNeil, but who cares. As you said, he looks terrible this season and got badly worked by Vanden Bosch twice.

I'm really starting to like Joe Thomas, and it seems like the jock-sniffing media do as well.

The O-lineman I like most in the NFL is Logan Mankins on the Pats. This man has started every game for the best offense in football since being drafted (late 1st round)! He's not only known for his strength and agility, but for his quick defense of teammates, not taking any bullsh*t from black defenders, and his mean streak!

Hopefully the caste-idiots (there are too many to mention) eventually wake from dreamland and start drafing OL prospects who are actually good football players. Just another reason to love the Pats this season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thrashen said:
Don,

The black sumo you're referring to on the Chargers is actually Marcus McNeil, but who cares.

You know, those black Irishmen are easy to confuse.
smiley36.gif

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
Thrashen said:
Don, The black sumo you're referring to on the Chargers is actually Marcus McNeil, but who cares.

smiley36.gif

Joe Thomas is the real deal. It was pissing me off before the draft last year when they were trying to say Thomas would be the next Robert Gallery. The media is always trying to prove how the white football player is overrated.

Sidenote: Don, you moved out of PA to Nevada? At least that's what it says under you avatar.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Anyword idea how the derek anderson and brady quinn controversy will
work out? I really like Quinn myslef but i think Anderson hada great year.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i'd love for anderson to go to Minnesota or some other team in a dire need of white QB. i don't think Fisher will give up on Young just yet.

backrow

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Don Wassall said:
Thrashen said:
Don, The black sumo you're referring to on the Chargers is actually Marcus McNeil, but who cares.

smiley36.gif

Joe Thomas is the real deal. It was pissing me off before the draft last year when they were trying to say Thomas would be the next Robert Gallery. The media is always trying to prove how the white football player is overrated.

Sidenote: Don, you moved out of PA to Nevada? At least that's what it says under you avatar.

nah, he's just doin' some serious gambling
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White police officers run down oneof God'sChosen Affletes after a quarter mile foot chase.
smiley36.gif
If it had been a black linemen, the chase would have lasted less than 40 yards.
<H2>Browns' Wright arrested</H2>
<H1>DB jailed after leading police on quarter-mile chase</H1>

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/03/bc. fbn.browns.arrest.ap/index.html [/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great story. Mental toughness wins over phenomenal athleticism.
smiley36.gif
I love it!

devans

Mentor
Are we are all assuming that the Police Officers who caught the DB from behind were white. An understandable assumption I suppose given the ethnic background of the current 400M world champion.