2006 World Indoor Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wanted to start a thread for the World Indoor Championships to be held in Moscow,Russia next weekend.It should be very entertaining.The Russian Women actually have a chance to sweep just about every event if all goes right.We should start a prediction contest for fun.I will have some of my pics in a couple of days.Let's hope that some of our favorites can represent their country and make them proud.

SteveB

Mentor
Wow! Andrey Yepishin finished 2nd (6.52 sec) and Matic Osovnikar finished 4th(6.58 sec) in the 60m. Both national records for their respective countries. Look out for these guys in the outdoor season. Great job!Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Make that a double wow SteveB.Yepishin of Russia is only 24 or 25 so he still has time.For him to run a 6.52 shows speed in the 10.10-10.15 range.Matic Osovnikar has already run in that range at the Olympics in Athens.Let's hope they can do bigger and better things outdoors.Congrats to both sprinters.
smiley32.gif

speedster

Mentor
Can I get a triple-wow.I wasn't expecting much out of this meet so when I casually read the paper and found the results it was like, awesome.I think we ought to keep an eye on Yepishin and Osovnikar because this could be a big year.Two in the top four,I love it.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
According to some of the guys at the track&fieldnews website,Yepishin showed no signs of letting up or slowing down.They said his time possibly transfered to a 10.04 in the 100 meters.A few guys there think that this kid could be the real deal.It's only one race but it is still exciting non the less.Good luck to both of them in the coming outdoor season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just watched the race on video of the 60 meters final.Yepishin was actually leading most of the race until the final 5 or 10 meters.He only lost by inches.His time of 6.52 is a New Russian 60 Meters Nat'l Record!This should really give this kid confidence.Another thing I noticed is that Yepishin and Osovnikar were in the outside lanes on the edge of the track.It is very hard to win in lanes 8 or 2.The ideal lanes are 3,4,5 & 6.He should hold his head high as he represented his country very well and broke up the american sweep.Matic Osovnikar really closed like a freight train.With a little better start,he might have won the race.His ability to almost catch the field was amazing considering how far back he was.You guys can see the race at the IAAF Web Site/Moscow World Indoor Champs.It is free and at the end of the day 1 hilites.It is worth the watch.Edited by: white lightning

sunshine

Mentor
Some interesting results at the world indoors. With Yepishin placing second where are the BS(Black Supremicists) big mouths? Strip away everything and it is the sprinting events that the sports world declare BS so where are they when a white guy crashes the party? Also note whites dominating the high jump which has become a trend of late. I will do a wrap up when I have more time.

SteveB

Mentor
I just watched the 60m video that Lightning mentioned and Osovnikar closed incredibly fast. From the looks of it, Yepishin was fading at the end, but the way Osovnikar was closing, I could see him finishing 1 or 2 if it had gone 100m. This could be Matic's year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You might just be right about Matic.He has a p.b. of 10.15 and has always been a strong finisher.He just needs to get out of the blocks quicker.He seems to be trailing too much of the time in the first 40-60 meters of races.If he can improve his start,he will have a descent chance to approach that range.His body fat levels are outstanding.He is shredded.By the way,he has his own website.www.maticosovnikar.comIt's not too bad of a site.Just click on the english language flag and turn down your speakers.The musis is kind of loud.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I've seen the video of the 60 meters final race but look at this pic from another angle right at the finish line.It looks as if Andrey Yepishin almost might have gotten screwed.He clearly is a full stride ahead of both L.Scott and T.Tramell.Tell me if you guys agree.This kid must not have been fading afterall.He was still running threw the finish line like he is supposed to.If anyone was fading,it was Scott & Trammell.What a impressive race by Andrey Yepishin.This could help him take his sprinting to another level.Yepishin now has the 2nd quickest time in the world over 60 meters!Here is the link to the picture.Maybe one of you guys can post it here so we can judge better.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060310/ids_photos_s p/r1389339926.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The link doesn't seem to be working.Go to Yahoo.com Type in Andrey Yepishin.Click on images.Now click on more images.Scroll down to the bottom of the page.Now click on the picture of the four guys at the finish line.Clearly,Yepishin is in front.Let me know what you guys think and someone try to post the picture here if you guys can.Thanks.Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I still shaking my head looking at the picture.Some good news for Yepishin.As we know,he won the silver medal as the 2nd fastest man in the world indoors and tied the Russian National Record in the process.He also has moved up in the latest IAAF World Rankings.Andrey has moved all the way up to the #19 position worldwide for sprinters.A couple of years ago he was down around 100 if that.One thing to note,Yepishin said he was suprised that he won a silver & just missed gold.Andrey said that he was just hoping to get lucky and grab a bronze.That mentality has to change in white sprinters.They need to have that killer instinct.Yepishin is the 2nd fastest sprinter in the world heading into the outdoor season.That is incredible.He needs to be more confident.At 24 years of age,he is about to hit his prime and could set up perfect for 2008.Keep up the great sprinting Andrey!
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Is this the picture? Hard to tell as he is nearly completely blocked out.

r3947467386.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks jaxvid but that's not the picture.It is taken right at or barely a step across the finish line.Yepishin is ahead of everyone.The picture was taken as if you they were coming right at you into your screen.He is in front by a stride.Either way,I will drink some vodka in his name as he showed his countrymen proud.As Gary says,a mans race is his country.There is alot of truth to that.Smirnov is another russian sprinter to keep an eye on.