2006 Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for USM in 2006.

Offense
C-Robby D'Angelo
RT-Ryan McKee

Defense
NT-Sean Merrill
BAN-Matthew Chatelain

FB Cole Mason should see some playing time this year, as should TE Jonathan Palmer.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, thats what I'm saying. I just changed one guy's name because another white is starting in place of him. Only 4 starting whites for USM this year.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Even though USM started a black QB, they have been using Stephen Reaves in the second half. I hope Tulsa beats them though.

Triad

Mentor
Here is an ideal caste story compliments of USM. Their freshman running back is suspended for the first half for violating team rules. Enter the white hard-nosed running back who has a great first half. As soon as the suspension is lifted, whitey goes to the bench. Zero touches in the second half, although his yards per carry were higher than his suspended teammate. The the author's throw in the "whitey isn't as athletic as the other running backs" quip and he should be happy for his playing time. Despite the fact that his hang clean (which many coaches say is the most athletic lift) is the team high and he's a two-time conference champion in the javelin throw. And then they end with praise for their talented freshman.

Article said:
The star freshman running back was suspended for the first half. The star quarterback was suffering from turf toe.

Two other running backs had quit the team earlier in the season because of lack of playing time.

Conrad Chanove, a one-time walk-on who wasn't even the featured back on his high school football team, had to carry the first half load for Southern Miss here Saturday night against high-powered Houston.

Carry it, he did.

Chanove's inspired first half effort, which helped USM to a 14-7 lead, was instrumental in the Golden Eagles winning an important 31-27 homecoming victory before an announced crowd of 32,313.

Chanove stands 5 feet, 9 inches short and weighs 194 pounds. He began the season as the fourth string running back expecting to play most, if not all, of his football on special teams.

But he carried the ball 11 times for 44 hard-fought yards and caught three passes for 23 yards in the first half.
But Conrad was the hardest working player on the team then, and the hardest working player on this team now," Hurst said. "What a lot of people don't understand is how strong he is. He's a little guy but he power-cleans nearly 400 pounds, as much as anybody on the team.

"He may weigh 194 but he hits like he's 225."

Hurst signed a football scholarship at USM. Chanove came to USM on a track and field grant to throw the javelin. He is the two-time Conference USA champion in that discipline and has qualified for the NCAA Championships.

While more talented players have left the team because of a lack of playing time, Chanove is thankful for what he has gotten. "Don't ever doubt that guy," Jeff Bower said afterward. "Conrad Chanove is a winner.

"I probably should have played him some more in the second half to give Damion (Fletcher) some rest."

Fletcher, USM's talented freshman, came on to run for 80 yards on 21 carries in the second half. He took his punishment, which was for missing curfew, with appropriate contrition.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah Bower, your darn right you should have played him in the second half, but not for the reason you said, but because he had earned more carries. You dumb piece of junk!
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
RB Conrad Chanove has run for 258 yards this season with a 4.7 YPC average, enough to tie him for second place in rushing. He's 5-9 197 by the way. I suspect that is more running from a white back at USM in 10 years or more. It is easy to overlook these guys at the Southern schools, but he will be back next year and will hopefully improve his numbers and get some starts as well. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
The big accomplishment for USM's new recruit was a criminal that even the Miami Hurricanes backed off of. Way to go Coach Bower.

Antwain Easterling had been late setting up visits, with his team playing into early December, on its way to the Class 6A state championship.

But Easterling also had been arrested a few days before that game and charged with lewd and lascivious battery, a second-degree felony, for having consensual sex with a 14-year-old.

Article

This is after rolling out the red carpet to another linebacker in the mold of Ray Lewis. Marcus Raines, all 230 pounds of him, stomped on a high school student after someone else punched him to the ground. The student (O'Leary was his name) died. Below are the sickening quotes from the suspect and the university.

They believed in my character and decided to scholarship me," Raines said of Southern Miss by phone Monday from Pasadena, where he is still attending junior college. "They asked me a lot of questions, but they believed in me."

Marcus Raines said the right things to school officials. (Provided to SportsLine)
Raines met with Southern Miss president Shelby Thames, who signed off on his recruitment.

"He didn't hide anything from us," said Southern Miss athletic director Richard Giannini. "He deserves a second opportunity. He's dedicated his life to being a positive mentor, helping people like him."

Article

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is flat out sickening!

cslewis1

Guru
And taxpayer dollars pay these guys??? infreakin'sane!

Alpha Male

Mentor
"Chanove stands 5 feet, 9 inches short and weighs 194 pounds."

How is that small for a running back? Plenty of running backs in the NFL are that size!!!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bower has scheduled the Golden Eagles to play at Rocky Top on September 8. I can understand his reasons for playing a tough non-conference schedule, but exactly what does he expect to happen in most of these games. This, coupled with his recent "high quality individual" recruitssuggests tome that Bower's mentally stable days are behind him.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Now I see that Bower has scheduled Boise State for a home and home series starting this year. He wanted to schedule a BCS team, but settled for the next best thing, according to an article I read this morning. This year's game might be an interesting one, with USM Senior RB Conrad Chanovehopefully getting some playing timealong withBSU having FBs Jon Helmandollar and Andy Silsby, and TBs Stew Tracy and incoming freshman Matt Kaiserman.It should be a really good Caste game between 2 non-BCS schools.