2006 Ole Miss Rebels

Triad

Mentor
In a developing story ...

OXFORD â€â€￾ Starting linebacker Garry Pack was kicked off the Ole Miss football team today by coach Ed Orgeron, and four other players have been suspended "indefinitely," according to a news release from the school.

The release said all five players violated undisclosed team rules.

The four suspended players are defensive end LaMark Armour, defensive lineman Hayward Howard, linebacker LeRon King and linebacker Robert Russell.

Additionally, Orgeron announced that sophomore fullback Quentin Taylor has quit the team.

Pack, a junior linebacker from Hattiesburg, was Mississippi's Mr. Football in 2003 for Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg. He is the Rebels' third-leading tackler with 48 total tackles, including 37 solo stops.

Not sure what happened here, but maybe there's finally some discipline in Oxford.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, this would indeed be a surprise! Thanks for the info Triad. It looks like the wheels are really starting to fall off the O-train though. I ALMOST feel sorry for him.
smiley4.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The immediate impact this will have on the number of white starters for Ole Miss is really unknown, but here are my insights for your contemplation.

Quentin Taylor was the 2nd fullback, so it will probably go to either Andy Hartman or Ryan Brunatti, both white, unless O decides to switch one of his black TBs to FB, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. Jason Cook (black) is the starter though.

LaMark Armour was just a 3rd string DE, so his loss won't be huge or have much of an impact as far as whites go.

Hayward Howard is a 2nd DT, and could be replaced by any of 4 whites (David Densmore, Brett Hammac, Joseph Maher, and Garret Ryan) or 3 blacks who are designated DL (Cecil Frison, Daverin Geralds, and Kentrell Lockett). We'll see what happens on that one.

MLB Robert Russell backed up All-American Patrick Willis, and he could be replaced by one of two white LBs on the team, Sam Holcomb or Don Hargroder, or any one of several black LBs. The same can be said for Garry Pack, who sometimes was a starter, but was a back up for both WLB and SLB's.

I hope a few of these white kids get a chance, but I won't hold my breath. We'll see what happens this weel against Auburn at 12:30 Eastern on ESPN Gameplan. Somebody watch it and let us know how many whites start on offense and defense.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
Update on former highly recruited QB Robert Lane's status at Ole Miss. He just caught his 5th and 6th passes, 9 games into the season. The irony is after moving him to TE, Orgeron brought in a QB with less talent that can't get Lane the ball. His comments to the media are dripping with sarcasm.

Lane was on the receiving end of the two biggest plays of the day, catching 37- and 41-yard passes from quarterback Brent Schaeffer. After catching four passes for 29 yards in the first six games, Lane led Ole Miss' receivers with two catches for 78 yards Saturday.

"We were joking on the sidelines after I made the second catch, I made the comment that I forgot what it was to have the ball in my hand," Lane said. "I thought I needed to catch it and throw it down and start blocking somebody. That's all I've been doing pretty much this year."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You know, it seems like they should have come to this conclusion a couple of years ago. Everyone who has a brain knows he's the best athlete on the team. Its easy to see that Orgeron doesn't believe in him enough to let him play QB or even be the starter at TE. He will probably continue to get token throws, but I can see him being used a lot this week. As a Caste System coach, you don't have to have much faith in a white player to let him have the ball when playing a I-AA team.
smiley7.gif

Lane's age-old plea: Give me the football
Ex-QB, who had 2 long gainers last week, willing to play several positions

By Robbie Neiswanger
OXFORD â€â€￾ Ole Miss tight end Robert Lane knows he can make plays.

467747.jpeg

But the junior hopes his performance in last Saturday's 23-17 loss against then-No. 7 Auburn, in which he caught two passes for 78 yards in his first game back from a sprained knee, has convinced the Rebels coaches, too.

One day after turning in his best outing of the season, Lane met with coach Ed Orgeron to discuss his role.

Lane's message was simple: He wants to help Ole Miss (2-7) win and believes the best way is to get his hands on the ball.

"I just wanted to come in and talk a little bit and see if there was a way to get me more involved in the offense," Lane said. "Saturday I showed, once again, that I do belong having the ball in my hands. I can do it on game day.

"Whether or not it happens this week, we'll see."

Lane and the Rebels will try to snap a three-game losing streak when they play Division I-AA Northwestern State (4-4) in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Saturday at 1 p.m. The break from SEC play could also signal a new beginning for the quarterback-turned-tight end.

Orgeron said Ole Miss wants Lane, who has caught just six passes for 107 yards in seven games, to have a larger role. And it could come by getting Lane off the line of scrimmage, where he has spent most of the season as a blocking tight end.

"We may move him to fullback or more of an H-back," Orgeron said. "That's what he does best. ... Robert wants to win. He wants to help the team win. He wants the ball in his hands and we want it in his hands, too."

Lane wasn't even on the field against Alabama and Arkansas because of the sprained knee. Instead, he spent his time in the training room trying to recover from his first career injury.

But it didn't take him long to get involved against Auburn. Lane, who lined up at fullback, slipped out of the backfield on the game's second play, caught a pass and rumbled 37 yards to set up Ole Miss' first score.

He picked up even more on the same play in the third quarter, going 41 yards to set up a go-ahead field goal.

Lane, who didn't return to practice until last Wednesday, only played 11 snaps against the Tigers. But with a full week of practice , he's ready for an expanded role.

"If we were 7-2 right now and maybe lost one SEC game, I wouldn't say anything if I wasn't catching any balls or contributing in ways that I think I can help," Lane said. "But here we are 2-7 again and I just want to find a way to help the team win."

That's why Lane met with Orgeron on Sunday.

The lack of production and mounting losses weren't what he envisioned when he decided to return to Ole Miss this winter. Lane considered transferring to Northwestern State to play quarterback, but figured he could make plays at tight end for the Rebels.

It didn't happen. But his injury helped Ole Miss gain more confidence in tight ends Lawrence Lilly and Robert Hough. Now that Lane is back, Orgeron and offensive coordinator Dan Werner said the Rebels have more flexibility at the spot.

"With the depth situation that we've had, it makes it a little easier to move him around a little," Werner said. "He's a guy that can catch the ball obviously and we'll try to get the ball to him."

That's exactly what Lane is counting on Saturday.

"It was good to have the ball in my hands (against Auburn)," Lane said. "I would like it more.

"That's the way that I can help this team win is by having it in my hands."Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Samuel Hain

There is some song about the Coach at Ole Miss that is a smash hit on the Arkansas radio networks.It pokes fun at the way he mumbles when he talks. Have you heard of this?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nope, but I bet its hilarious! I have heard him try to talk and it is pretty embarrasing.

Triad

Mentor
Samuel Hain said:
There is some song about the Coach at Ole Miss that is a smash hit on the Arkansas radio networks.It pokes fun at the way he mumbles when he talks. Have you heard of this?

Yeah, it's going around the email loop also.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that song has me rolling!
smiley36.gif

here's a link to a site that made a video to go with it. enjoy!
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, that is hilarious! Its so true too. Its a shame Ole Miss has fallen so far, but because they have betrayed their heritage, I have no sympathy for them. This Colonel Reb quit crying a good while ago.
smiley4.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ole Miss started Robert Lane as an H-back tonight against LSU. The word is to expect Ole Miss to pull some trick plays, but I doubt it will help much.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What a difference a decade makes.
smiley5.gif

I've written quite a bit about how black Ole Miss has gotten over the last 10 years. Well, it has gotten worse in many others ways too. Hopefully this will help you understand what I mean.

In 1996, Ole Miss was still suffering from sanctions and had a limited number of scholarships. Despite this, having a majority white roster, with whites being at least half of the starters, and having a second year coach, they went 5-6. Ole Miss had already changed a great deal though. The first game of the season saw the unveiling of the new block-M flag, meant to replace the battle-M flag which was much like the Confederate Battle flag.

In 1997, with more scholarships and sanctions lifted, they went 8-4 with 10 whites starting. Tuberville had begun the blackening process with his recruiting prior to his first year of caoching in 1995.

In 1998, Ole Miss had a black starting QB for the first time in over a decade, and the defense and offensive line blackened more. They went 7-5.

In 1999, they went 8-4 again on a slightly weaker schedule with just 6 whites starting. They also banned sticks for flags inside the home stadium in mid-season, supposedly for safety reasons, but really to keep the students from waving their Battle flags. Some, but increasingly fewer people, as I did through 2003, continue to sneak them in until now.

In 2000, well before the summer practices began, Romaro Miller, the black QB who was adequate but inconsistent, was given the starting job by Cutcliffe. Eli Manning had reshirted in 1999 and was able to play, but he only got mop up duty a couple of times before the Music City Bowl in 2000, where he led the hopelessly behind Rebels to 3 TDs before the game ended. That year, Ole Miss still had 6 whites starting. They also got rid of the cool uniforms that had been unchanged since the 50s, and replaced them with an extremely ugly design. Rather than switch back to the old design after seeing that nobody liked it, they made small changes to it so that now, there are only 2 real differences between it and the 1999 version. These changes along with some others that I saw as a student there that year, began to change the way I looked at the now changed school I grew up loving, and my enthusiasm never was as pure after that.

In 2001, Ole Miss had Eli at the helm for the first time, and a good TE in Doug Zeigler, but had a tough schedule and thanks to some SEC politics, ended up not getting a bowl game after going 7-4. They had 5 whites starting.

In 2002, Rick Razzano was the FB, Eli at QB, Bill Flowers at WR, Doug Zeigler at TE, C Ben Claxton, OG Doug Buckles, and LB Rob Roberson were the 7 starting whites. In 2001 and 2002, a guy that Jimmy Chitwood reminded me about, WR Trey Fryfogle, said to be the fastest man on the team, and a guy who I met at the 2002 "Meet The Rebels Day" was little used. In fact he got just 5 catches for 53 and 1 10 yard kick return in 2001 and 13 for 141 and a TD in the 10 games in 2002 before he was kicked off the team, along with the black starting TB. He transferred to 1-AA Nicholls State and was expected to be a force there, but he accumulated no stats in 2003 or 2004 and did not earn a letter there. He just faded away.

In 2003, Ole Miss upped the number of white starters to 8, and had their first 10 win season since the 1971 Rebels did it, that team being the last all white Ole Miss team. On the flip side, they got rid of Colonel Reb as the on-the-field mascot.

In 2004, after my complete departure from Ole, uh New Miss fandom, the Rebels black image took over. The initial 2003 rcruiting class of 14 blacks and 1 white started to show itself, and the years of almost as black recruiting classes made it even worse. Cutcliffe didn't have the media proclaimed star in black QB Micheal Spurlock that he thought he had. The Rebels sank quickly to 4-7 and only had 5-6 whites starting, depending on the game.

In 2005, they ended up with an average of 3 white starters, and had their worst record (3-8) since 1987.

In 2006, they have another second year coach who has the full compliment of scholarships, a roster fuller than it has ever been of blackletes, and a mere 3 whites currently starting, and yet they will be lucky if they beat State Saturday and make it to 4-8.

Here are some pictures of some forgotten and almost forgotten Ole Miss players.

Here is Cory Peterson, an awesome WR for Ole Miss from 1996-99. He had more catches his senior season than all but 5 other players in Ole Miss history.
Cory returning a KO for a TD in 1998
Theretrn.jpg

LB Rob Robertson sacking Jay Cutler in 2004
Robertson.jpg

LB Justin Wade in 2002
Roberson.jpg

DE Shane Elam in the 1999 Alabama game-they wore the blue jerseys for the first time in 5 years that day. I was there. Notice the pant stripes, just 2 of them.
elam.jpg

Longtime backup QB David Morris in 1999
DavidMorris1999.jpg

LB Chad Cook-2000-I played against him in Junior High
cook-sack.jpg

TE Doug Zeigler in 2000
zeigler.jpg

The above mentioned WR Trey Fryfogle-from the 2002 Florida game-notice the pants and jersey compared to 1999. 3 stripes on the pants. Why they didn't go back to 2 I'll never know.
fryfogle-lg.jpg

FB Rick Razzano 2000-2004, this is from the 2002 Florida game
razzano.jpg

WR Bill Flowers 2000-2004
flowers.jpg

WR Todd Campbell 1999
ToddCampbell.jpg

TE Mitch Skrmetta blocking for Deuce McAllister in 2000
deuce-skrmetta.jpg

The 1996 Ole Miss student section, some of the last real Rebel students
1996Students.png
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Walk on WR Josh Zettergren had 5 catches for 38 yards and a TD to lead the Red team during the Grove Bowl today. FB Andy Hartmann had 3 catches for 29 yards, a run for no gain, and a tackle on defense. Lineman David Traxler caught a 7 yard pass, presumably on a tackle eligible play. Punter Rob Park had an 18 yard interception return. QB Seth Adams led the Blue team, which beat the Red team 23-20. Seth went 16 for 20 for 159 yards and a TD. If Coach O will do the right thing, Seth should at least have a chance to beat out Schaeffer for the starting job.