2006 Ole Miss Rebels

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the few white Rebels projected to start in the 2006 season.

Offense
TE-Robert Lane-Best athlete on the team, and should be the starting QB, using his legs to win, like Archie did.
LG-Andrew Wicker

Defense
DE-Chris Bowers

Look for FB Seth Michaelson to see the field this year.

KG2422

Mentor
That's too bad. A White team with those uniforms and that mascot would be very cool.

sunshine

Mentor
Robert Lane is a great athlete and was also a star baseball player. In fact I am surprised he hasn't jumped ship yet given that he isn't a QB anymore. The guy has everything. Speed, power maybe an Adam Dunn type--but at third base instead of OF..

Triad

Mentor
Ole Miss might get a little whiter at QB. Their prized recruit former Vol starting QB, Brent Scheffer, hasn't been able to complete enough junior college coursework to get eligible.

From the Clarion Ledger:
"Where is Brent Schaeffer?" someone asked about the prized transfer who has already been named the starting quarterback.

Orgeron reported that there is more, perhaps unsettling, news. No longer is Schaeffer at home in Florida taking the two correspondence classes he needs to be eligible at Ole Miss.

Instead, the former Tennessee Volunteer has gone back to College of the Sequoias to "finish up some coursework," Orgeron said. That means Schaeffer's available for the beginning of preseason camp is questionable.

When someone asked what he is doing in California, Orgeron said quickly, "Studying. No more questions about that."

Rebel players report on Aug. 3. The junior college's final summer term, in which Schaeffer is enrolled, ends the same day, according to the school's Web site. The first full-squad practice is on Aug. 5.

When asked if Schaeffer would be with the team when camp starts, Orgeron said, "He's going to be here when he finishes."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Triad, I read some similar articles about that situation and it looks like he will be late to practice. I really wonder if they will start him in the first game or not. I'll keep you updated on this situation as I am headed back home early next week.

KG, Ole Miss does still have one of the better uniforms in college ball, despite the changes to it since 1999, but Colonel Reb is gone from the sidelines since the 2002 ended. They still sell products with the Colonel Reb logo, but no more mascot, although there are people that have had duplicate costumes made and show up to football and basketball games and in The Grove.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I decided to look through Ole Miss' online media guide a few minutes ago and discovered that a mere 25 whites are on the 90 man roster. What a huge shift over the last 5 years! It was even then, although most starters were black. No wonder only 3 whites start. Out of 28 signees this season, only 5 were white, so it won't get any better in Oxford anytime soon. I knew this would be a result of those almost all black recruiting classes since 2002. I never thought it would get that bad so quickly though.

KG2422

Mentor
What is high school ball like there? Are there White teams who win state championships? Are schools pretty integrated?

Triad

Mentor
Each year the state's big newspaper selects a preseason
"Dandy Dozen" team. Generally, it's mostly black, often 100%. Occasionally they will throw in a white lineman or QB. The team is chosen by two reporters with input from the recruiters from State, Ole Miss, and Southern. The recruiters show their opinion of white players each year on signing day.

Dandy Dozen

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Triad, you hit the nail on the head. KG, to answer your question, the smaller schools (A, AA) are the ones that usually produce majority white championship teams. The bigger programs are mostly black because the public schools in Mississippi are an average of 55% black. So, to answer your question, yes, the schools are integrated, more than almost any other state. Couple that with most coaches favoring blacks, the resulting teams are almost always majority black. There are exceptions, and there are some bigger school that do very well with majority white teams. In some areas of Miss, like the Delta, the public schools are almost all black. In the 14 county Delta, only 2 high schools are majority white. The rest are over 90% black. Over 15% of Mississippi's students go to private, Christian, or parochial schools, and almost all are white. If they were in the public schools, it would make a difference in the numbers on the big three's rosters. Since I got back to Mississippi last week, I have been told of one OL and one QB, both white, who were told by big school recruiters to transfer to public schools so they could see if they could succeed at that level of competition. The bottom line is that the colleges in Miss, big and small, refuse to actively recruit the private school players. They may take a look at a few people who make statewide headlines, but they don't go to a multitude of private school games each week looking for hidden and not so hidden talent. I know this for a fact, as I have been into the athletic complexes and seen the recruiting boards in Mississippi universities on Fridays in the fall. It is sick, but it is reality here.

KG2422

Mentor
Here, private schools sometimes play public schools of similar size in non district play. This helps the private school kids get some exposure.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is something that is in the works here, but it may be years before it is implimented. I know a couple of local private schools are going to be practicing against public schools on certain drills. It can't do anything but help both teams. The big 4A public school they are working with has less than 10% whites in the student body and less than a handful of white football players, so all the players need it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Brent Schaeffer/Ole Miss Affair

Ed Orgeron at Ole Miss has done a world of hurt by naming Schaeffer starter at QB 7 months before he arrives on campus. He still isn't in Oxford, although I'm sure I'll hear church bells ringing, signaling his long awaited arrival when he does get there. The team meets tomorrow night (Thursday August 3). The first practice is Saturday. Some players have said they aren't comfortable until he gets there. There are a lot of people now asking questions about how shady the signing of Schaeffer was back in February. The two white QBs behind him have never taken a college snap. The number 1 receiver is out for two more weeks recovering from an injury. A white receiver quit the team last week. LB Patrick Willis is doubtful to be at 100% against Memphis. He broke his foot earlier this year, and his younger brother drowned this summer. The O line has been shuffled around, with 3 new players on it. The bottom line is, Ole Miss will have a whole lot of things to fix in a hurry if they are to have a successful season. I doubt it will happen. I see a 4-8 season as likely. They may even lose again to the Croomdogs. I don't really care what happens, but I thought some of you might like to know about the mess in the seat of government in Lafayette County, Mississippi.

Triad

Mentor
The public and private schools competed against each other 4-5 years ago for one year in a trial period. It was discontinued bcause the public schools only wanted to compete vs private schools with a certain acreditation. The MPSA said all or none. Recently they agreed to continue the competition.

Only one inter-association football game occurred: Jackson Prep vs George County. The public school (a 4A semifinal playoff team) beat Prep (the largest, not necesarily best private school) 27-14 (I think).

The average private school will have a hard time competing against the 4A and 5A public schools due to numbers. The 2A private schools enrollment is usually around 135 - 190 students in grades 9-12. A large 5A school may have 2000+. Some of the small 1A's struggle to field a team.

There have been some elite private school teams that could have held their own with anyone. Last years JA team, Simpson Academy 2003/04, Pillow 1997, etc. come to mind. Hopefully, they will one day have an All Star game between the two divisions.

As Col Reb pointed out the public schools in the Delta are not very white friendly. Therefore, the white parents have to struggle with private school tuition and then turn around and pay taxes for the public schools that aren't safe for their kids.

Triad

Mentor
The Brent Schaeffer/Ole Miss Affair (cont.)

Ole Miss football coach Ed Orgeron is confident starting quarterback Brent Schaeffer will be on time when players report for preseason camp Thursday night.
The second summer semester at the College of the Sequoias is scheduled to end Thursday, according to the school's Web site.

Andy Siegal, Schaeffer's former offensive coordinator at College of the Sequoias, said Monday Schaeffer finished school and left California last week.

Attempts to reach Schaeffer and his parents have been unsuccessful. Orgeron wouldn't comment on Siegal's statement but did say Schaeffer is still in Calfornia finishing classes.

Schaeffer is expected to finish today and could be in Oxford as early as tonight.

So did he finish last week or does he finish today or has he done any school work this summer? The Rebels have at least six guys from their prized recruiting class who are trying to get academically eligible this week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Triad, doesn't it make you sick top know that these guys are probably going to take underwater basketweaving or something at Ole Miss. They never used to take guys like that. The Ragin Cajun is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
smiley11.gif
By the way, why not include your state on your profile? I am pretty sure you are a fellow Mississippian. Its good to see who is from where on here.

Triad

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Triad, doesn't it make you sick top know that these guys are probably going to take underwater basketweaving or something at Ole Miss. They never used to take guys like that. The Ragin Cajun is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
smiley11.gif
By the way, why not include your state on your profile? I am pretty sure you are a fellow Mississippian. Its good to see who is from where on here.

I spent some time in the junior college ranks of the state so I know how easy it is for prized recruits to get eligible quickly. For this reason I assume there must be more to the Schaeffer story.

The extreme example was MSU basketball signee Dontae Jones picking up 36 hours of college credit in one summer to get eligible. He had only accumulated 28 hours in the previous two years of "studying".

Edited by: Triad

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ole Miss is projected to get 6 wins and play Iowa State in the Independence Bowl!
smiley36.gif
Oh man! What planet are these guys on. Ole Miss still has 3 blackeletes waiting for aproval of their "academic qualifications." Another was ruled ineligible last week by the NCAA, so it looks like things could get worse for O-Jer-On still. No matter what happens, I guarantee you that Ole Miss will not have 6 wins this year. They will be doing well to have 4 in my opinion.

Triad

Mentor
Ole Miss Savior Brent Schaeffer hasn't had a very good start this year at QB. Through two games, the prized recruit has:

20 completions/ 45 attempts for 1 TD and 3 INT
22 carries for 52 yards and 1 rushing TD
He's completing 44% of his passes and is averaging 2.4 yards per carry.

The team's best QB is laboring as a blocking tight end. Robert Lane has ZERO receptions this year in spite of being considered the best athlete on the team. He is a better passer and runner than Schaeffer but so far no media articles questioning the move to proclaim Schaeffer the starter as soon as he signed in February.

Also on the Rebel roster is Seth Adams a former high school star quarterback and JUCO transfer that was given no shot at the starting job behind the anemic Schaeffer. Adams at 6-4, 215 pounds was an private school All Star who had unbelievable numbers out of high school - senior year stats: he completed 151 of 238 pass attempts for 1,904 yards and 19 touchdowns. He also rushed for 1,295 yards on 176 carries and scored 13 touchdowns.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Triad, you are 100% right about Lane. It is an indictment on the coaching staff that Lane has no catches. He could be very productive at TE if they let him, but no, you cant let a white player get any credit. He should be the QB. All I can say about Ole Miss right now is uh-0</font>!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
Ineligible Ole Miss defensive tackle, Jerrell Powe is suing the NCAA and Ole Miss to regain his eligibility. Powe completed all his work but the one problem is he's completely ILLITERATE. He can't read or write yet he was able to complete 14 correspondence courses with the help of a former teacher. She alleges she asks Powe questions and he points or underlines the answers (just like Koko did). Powe is comparing himself to James Meredith an vowing to fight the discriminatory barriers Ole Miss has erected against illiterates pursuing a college education and playing Div. 1 football.

Clarion Ledger said:
Powe was one of the most highly ranked high school defensive tackles in the nation following the 2004 season at Wayne County High School. He signed scholarship papers with Ole Miss in February 2005 and was expected to be a key player for the Rebels last fall.

But because he did not meet the NCAA's freshman initial-eligibility requirements he instead attended Hargrave Military Academy during the 2005-06 school year, taking classes needed to meet the NCAA standards.

Carroll says Powe, who is learning disabled, has now met the NCAA standards, but the NCAA ruled otherwise three weeks ago.

Thursday, the NCAA Student Records Review Group upheld the original ruling.

In a news release, the NCAA said the review committee was concerned about Powe's "long-term well-being," adding "he has not yet demonstrated he can successfully manage the demands of full-time college academics and intercollegiate athletics."

The committee specifically cited tutorial help Powe received in completing online courses through Brigham Young University in Utah.

Said the release: "There was insufficient information provided to the NCAA to determine that Mr. Powe completed the work on his own without significant assistance."

Powe completed 14 correspondence courses - worth one-half credit each - with the help of Wayne County High teacher Ginny Crager between January 2005 and May 2006. Crager said Powe couldn't read.

She read passages and asked questions, while Powe provided answers by pointing at them or underlining them.

During lessons that required writing, Crager said Powe would provide answers and she would jot them because "you cannot read his handwriting."

Full article

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know people who "graduated" from Mississippi Delta high schools 15 years ago and couldn't read. This doesn't surprise me at all. What does surprise me is that the courses came through BYU. They are famous for offering things like that though, but a lot of good it does. Talk about a strange connection!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think I'm gonna cry.
smiley36.gif

Star recruit pushes on
Powe disputes 'learning disabled' label

By Richard Lake
rlake@clarionledger.com
Joe Ellis/The Clarion-Ledger

Former Wayne County football standout and University of Mississippi recruit Jerrell Powe explains that he learns best when things are laid out clearly for him.

TIMELINE

December 2004: Jerrell Powe caps stellar three-year career at Wayne County High School with nine sacks and 89 tackles in senior season; named first-team All-State by The Clarion-Ledger.
February 2005: Powe signs scholarship papers with Ole Miss.
August 2005: After failing to meet NCAA academic eligibility requirements for freshmen, Powe enrolls at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., where he plays football.
February 2006: Powe signs scholarship papers with Ole Miss.
May 2006: Powe graduates from Hargrave Military.
Aug. 26: Ole Miss announces the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse did not certify Powe's eligibility, ruling him ineligible to play at Ole Miss this fall.
Aug. 31: Lafayette County Chancery Court Judge issues temporary restraining order, ordering The University of Mississippi to enroll Powe and place him on athletic scholarship.
Sept. 1:The NCAA, Ole Miss and Powe's attorneys reach an agreement allowing Powe to enroll as a part-time student, not on scholarship, pending an appeal of his eligibility status.
Sept. 14: NCAA appeals committee rules against Powe; Ole Miss urges him to drop his lawsuit.
Sept. 16: Powe announces he's withdrawing from school and dropping his lawsuit.

WAYNESBORO  He is a big dumb kid who was pushed through school by football crazies with dollar signs in their eyes despite his failing grades, an inability to read and a learning disability.

Right now, that's what most people think about Jerrell Powe. But Powe says those people are wrong.

There is no doubt about it, Powe is enormous - 6 feet 3 1/2 inches tall and 347 pounds - about the size of a refrigerator, only taller.

But he swears he isn't just some dumb football player.

Despite, he says, what people have read, what the authorities have said and what anyone's instincts say about football players from the sticks, he can read just fine.

"There was a lot of lies in the press saying I couldn't read and write," said Powe, who was shadowed by a Clarion-Ledger reporter and photographer for a day last week. "I never had any problems reading."

To prove it, Powe logged onto the Internet and read aloud with no problem an Associated Press breaking news story, about the Carolina Panthers for the reporter. He wrote a few words - "I love mom" - on a pad of paper, too, just to show he could.

Powe, who turned 19 last month, is the much-heralded high school football player from this blue-collar town who signed to play for the University of Mississippi, only to have his eligibility denied by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Powe has a 2005 certificate of attendance, not a traditional diploma, from his high school.

Everyone in Waynesboro knows Powe. Waynesboro is a town of about 5,000 people - the hub of a county with 21,000 people whose major industry is timber.

The town is a few miles from the Alabama border at the junction of U.S. 84 and U.S. 45.

This is where Powe was born in 1987, the third of four children.

His mom, Shirley, raised them by herself in a small brick house down a country road a few miles outside of town.

At that house, where Powe still lives when he's not staying with his girlfriend, there is a grass lot, the shape and size of a miniature football field.

That grass is where Powe learned.

JUST A REGULAR KID

He never played organized football as a child, "But I always played yard ball with the older guys," he said.

He was just a regular kid, he said, who saw school as neither a curse nor a blessing. It simply existed.

School officials have said Powe began special education classes in the second grade. When he was still in elementary school, Powe said he had some behavioral problems that he didn't want to describe in full.

That led to a label, he said: learning disabled.

Powe said it is not true. He has a problem comprehending what he has read sometimes, but that doesn't mean he's disabled, he said.

True or not, the label stuck. "I never thought he had a learning disability," said his mom, a dietary supervisor at Wayne General Hospital.

Powe said he kept getting grades just good enough to move him forward, but it would not be enough.

A standout football player in junior high, Powe focused more and more on football in high school.

Wayne County High is a place where the football team is so important that the local police cars are painted in its colors: blue and orange.

Coach Marcus Boyles took over the program in 2001, when Powe was a freshman.

The team won the state championship the next year and the year after that. Powe was a big part of winning.

"You knew on Friday night, he's going to come ready to play," Boyles said. "In the big games, he's going to have a good practice beforehand."

He said like any kid, Powe could slack off in practice when he knew the opponent wasn't expected to be all that tough. But still, Boyles said, Powe was the team's leader.

"He was a guy who offenses had to scheme around," Boyles said. "His presence made them change the way they had to play the game."

But slowly, Powe was falling further behind in school.

By the end of Powe's sophomore year - after that first state championship - Powe knew he had to do something or he'd never graduate.

He had dreams of making it big in the National Football League, he said, visions of million-dollar contracts dancing in his head. He was rated as the top high school defensive player in the nation by most recruiters.

It was during this time that he met Shane Barnett, the team's punter, and Shane's dad, Joe.

Joe Barnett is a local businessman, a real estate appraiser with a nice house in town and a pool in the back yard.

He took a liking to Powe from the start, he said.

Powe started hanging out more and more at the Barnett home. He learned to swim in their pool a couple of summers ago.

Barnett loves telling that story.

"Boys," Powe announced to the other young men goofing around in the pool, as Barnett remembers it, "I can swim and I'll show y'all I can swim."

He jumped in, and in a flash he was sitting at the bottom of the pool. "I thought it was over with," said Powe, who'd never been in a pool before.

WORKING HARDER

His buddies had to bulldoze the 350-pound player across the bottom of the pool to the shallow end to get him out; he was just too heavy to lift.

In time, Powe learned to swim.

He and Joe Barnett became close. So close that now, Barnett is like a surrogate father for Powe, both said. Barnett has helped guide Powe through the last two years.

As Powe's future looked bleak, the two, along with Powe's mom, began to focus more on his schoolwork as he entered his junior year of high school.

By his senior year, he was working harder, excelling in correspondence courses with the help of a tutor, but in the end it was not enough.

His tutor, Ginny Crager, said Powe has trouble comprehending what he's read. Powe agreed.

The NCAA on Sept. 14 affirmed an earlier ruling that Powe was ineligible even though he had taken correspondence courses from Brigham Young University and attended the Chatman, Va.-Hargrave Military Academy for a year to try to catch up.

"That's what happens to a lot of young men who are good athletes but are in special education," said Madison County parent Mandy Rogers, who has a Web-based parent advocacy information network called Parents United Together. "They get to that last year. They don't have any credits and can't graduate. ... Someone should have known something. In ninth grade, they should have known what track he was on. If he was in the certificate track, they should have known he's not going to Ole Miss.

"This kid should have gotten academically what he got athletically," Rogers said.

The NCAA won't accept his work from the correspondence courses as legitimate. The organization won't comment on specifics of the case.

CREATING A PLAN

"I was mad," Powe said, though he never lashed out in public and won't start now. "My way of getting back is just not giving up, and just proving them wrong."

So, after much fanfare, including a lawsuit that he still thinks he could have won, if he pursued it, Powe dropped out of Ole Miss after a few days.

He has asked the school to get with the NCAA to help him lay out a plan. What does he need to do, he wants to know, to make himself eligible? He swears he still wants to play for the Rebels. If he can't, there's always junior college or the Canadian Football League.

So now, here Powe sits, trying to stay in playing shape, depending on others to tell him what to do.

Whose fault is that?

"If he was having problems," said his mom, "he should have come to me."

So, it's partly her son's fault, she said.

But it's also partly the school's fault, she said, for not pushing him harder, for not letting her know how serious his problems were.

And, she said, it's also partly her fault for not demanding answers sooner.

Everybody's a little bit at fault, she said.

That's what Boyles, the coach, said, too. "For whatever reason, he fell through the cracks," he said.

"All of us - and I mean me, the school, his mom and Jerrell - are to blame in this situation."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
Staff writer Cathy Hayden contributed to this report.

Triad

Mentor
You've got to see the photo shoot this newspaper tried to do, check out all 8 pics. Looks like our scholar misspelled Ole Mis [sic] in one of them, GO Rebs!

Spending Time with Jerrell Powe-A Photo Gallery

So we have someone with a first or second grade education not being allowed to play football at an ACADEMIC institution. This story also has the wealthy (benevolent?) white businessman talking young Jerrell under his wing and his roof. Maybe, with the hopes of getting some payback if he ever turns pro?

Triad

Mentor
No QB Controversy at Ole Miss

Despite going 46 for 99 (46.5%) with 3 TD's and 5 Int's and 10 sacks through three games the 1-3 Rebels are sticking with Schaeffer. They've faced powerhouses Memphis, Missouri, Kentucky, and Wake Forest.

Back-up Seth Adams has completed 8 of 11 passes (136.9 QB rating) in mop up duty Saturday.

Former REbel QB, Robert Lane, who was conned into being a team player and bulking up to play TE has two receptions for 13 yards through four games. What a waste of talent and bad decision he made.
smiley7.gif

Clarion Ledger said:
But Schaeffer has completed 39 of 83 passes (46.5 percent) for 407 yards with three touchdowns and five interceptions the past three games. Schaeffer, who wasn't available for comment Monday, also has lost two fumbles and Ole Miss has scored 25 points.

"I think he may be frustrated that things aren't clicking," Adams said. "But it's not all on him. It's not all his fault. We've just got to get better as an offense."

Orgeron said Schaeffer turned in a "hot and cold" night against the Demon Deacons, struggled in the pocket and had problems leading the team. But he said the Rebels couldn't establish a ground game, failed to protect Schaeffer, fell behind and were forced to throw more than usual because of the defense's inability to stop Wake Forest.

Werner said Schaeffer hasn't been the offense's only problem. But, much like the offensive coordinator, Werner said Schaeffer can handle the criticism.

"He understands what's going on," Werner said. "He's got to do a better job of leading this football team and when he does, then he'll get all the praise too. ... Right now, he and I are both getting criticized, but we understood that when we took the job. We're going to both do a better job and work harder and hopefully get this thing turned around."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
In case you want to see some real Ole Miss football, check these games out!
smiley32.gif

1969 Ole Miss 38 - Tennessee -0 Game of the Mule in Jackson, Mississippi Both teams wearing home jerseys.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIc6HUHhEQ&mode=related&sear ch=[/url]

1990 Ole Miss 13 - Tennessee - 22 in Memphis. Ole Miss is the home team. I remember watching this game and the 91 game on TV. This was the one that gave Tennessee the SEC title over Ole Miss in 1990.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCiUJ3C74Go&mode=related&sear ch=[/url]