12' Gandhi Statue/Monument Placed in London Unveiled by Cameron (verified)

Ambrose

Master
Must read article (short) see link below.

Heading of article:
LONDON (AP) — The legacy of Mohandas K. Gandhi is being celebrated with a prominent new statue of the Indian independence leader in Parliament Square in central London.

Article Link:
http://www.mail.com/int/news/world/3416066-uks-cameron-unveils-statue-indian-leader-gandhi.html#.3416062-stage-related1-2

Placing a Gandhi statue on UK soil! This is not in some museum; this is done outside; seems to defy reason; commemorative statues/monuments are customarily done to recall the memory of a notable person of a past member of their society not a past member of a foreign society.

Why would a past Indian citizen be commemorated on the UK? Anyone?
How does the G of E get a way with this (not a typo)? Anyone?

I have some pretty good ideas but it would be good to hear yours.

Ladyfiaran

Liberal guilt, Gandhi is like a secular saint to some folks. I wonder what they'd feel about his views concerning blacks?

Ambrose.. to me, (unfortunately), this is par for the course. British people honoring a man who was an enemy of the British empire. No different than Americans celebrating our cultural subversives. The majority of the Western world is perversely celebrating it's own demise & conquest.

But part of me believes it's an inevitable destiny of a great civilization's life cycle. Every great empire has eventually faded & fallen. I think the key @ this point in the cycle, is individuals preserving original stock & beliefs of the civilization's creators.. Even if it's ultimately a small, alienated minority.

ie- Even tho the great civilization of Greece went under, I believe that they still retain some the same bloodlines to one day rekindle that greatness. If a powerful civilization (like the collective West) loses its' bloodlines, along with its' empire, I'm guessing there is no chance for future recreation. I'm actually hopeful tho.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
in france we have many streets named after communist dictators like lenine, staline, karl marx, or named "USSR"

we have statues too, like this one of the communist mao (60 millon people killed):

jbaKpUqCdweWOI.jpg

:icon_smile: