’06 pre-season observations

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
just caught the Rams-Colts game, and saw quite a few good things from several unheralded white guys.

the Rams white receivers looked very good: Dane Looker was always open, and even Troy Aikman was talking about what a top-notch receiver he was. reserve Brad Pyatt had a nice 40-yard catch and run. and speedster Kevin Curtis was uncoverable. he only appeared early in the game, but drew a pass interference flag on three consecutive pass attempts. awesome! they had to reach out and grab him every time.

on the other squad, Colt defensive back Matt Giordano made an impressive display of pure speed as he ran down tailback fred russell from behind. there was no angle to give him an edge, he just reeled him in. very impressive, especially since russell is considered a speed back. and Colt reserve Ed Hinkel had a nice catch and run in mop-up time.

so far, so good, before the turk comes to call...

lumsdenpower

Mentor
I saw the drive where the DB'S colts was trying to stop Kevin Curtis
smiley36.gif
3flags!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't watch the game, but it's obvious that Kevin Curtis is at the height of his powers right here and now. He's 28, a prime age for an NFL receiver and with his speed and smarts he can be awesome. He should already be an established starter. If he's forced to spend another year behind Isaac Bruce that'll be a real crime.

One thing in his favor is that he's an unrestricted free agent after this season. If the Rams screw him over someone, even in the Caste NFL, will sign him as a starter for '07.

Rise

Guru
Lets hope for another injury filled season for Isacc Bruce for our guy to shine. I think he could easily put up 04 Drew Bennett stats or better if given the chance to start every game.

Triad

Mentor
Patriots- Falcons Preseason- A Great Preseason game.
Backup QB's Matt Cassel and Matt Schaub both looked impressive. Cassel looked very Brady-esque and if not for Schaub's floating INT in the endzone who would have had an amazing night.

Caste players: Garrett Mills, NE H-back, was as good as advertised - several nice catches and runs. He was described as a Larry Centers type player. Heath Evans had a 1 yard run TD run. Troy Bergeron was open a few times but QB Randall couldn't get the ball within 10 yards of him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mills being described as a Larry Centers type is a good sign that he'll be used a lot out of the backfield rather than just competing with Watson, Graham and David Thomas for TE receptions. Cassel looked to him constantly and it wouldn't be surprising if he becomes a favorite outlet for Brady.

The Pats' rushing touchdown was "old school" -- Evans at tailback, Mills at fullback. Evans made a good read and a nifty move to score untouched.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
David Kircus was the leading receiver for Denver against Detroit tonight -- 6/76 and a 26 yard TD catch for the Broncos only touchdown. Kircus also returned two kickoffs and a punt. Rookie TE Tony Scheffler was second in receiving for the Broncos with 4/54. Scheffler is very fast for a tight end. The bad news is that Mike Furrey was shut out for Detroit. Edited by: Don Wassall

white tornado

Mentor
Mills actualy lined up at slot recever.

Triad

Mentor
Fom the Broncos- Lion Game

Jay Cutler: 16-22, 192 yards and a TD.
Caste favorite David Kircus led all receivers from both teams with 6 receptions for 76 yards including a 26 yard TD from Cutler. It must have been sweet versus the his old team, the one that didn't give him a chance.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Triad said:
Patriots- Falcons Preseason- A Great Preseason game.

Backup QB's Matt Cassel and Matt Schaub both looked impressive. Cassel looked very Brady-esque and if not for Schaub's floating INT in the endzone who would have had an amazing night.

Wow. I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but I checked in on another message board to check out the comments there on tonight's game, as they have threads devoted to each game. The consensus there was that both Cassel and Schaub sucked big time, and that Vick's stock was going up.
smiley5.gif

This is from an expert site for fantasy football, too, mind you!

Triad

Mentor
Cassel - 13/26 for 229 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
6 carries - 32 yds
Schaub - 7/13 for 192 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
1 carry - 7 yds
Vick -3/4 for 26 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT
1 carry - 16 yds

Schaub threw one bad pass (INT)into the endzone that sucked, other than that they both impressed me.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Overheard during the Ravens-Giants game:

Dick Stockton: "[Wide receiver] Travis LaTendresse is having a great camp. He's really caught the eye of Brian Billick, who compares him to Chris Walsh."

Moose Johnston: "That's a great compliment to LaTendresse."

No it's not, it's great illustration of the mentality behind the Caste System. Walsh played 11 seasons as a White Special Teams Demon/Team Mascot for the Vikings,and finished withbut 67 career receptions.

I guess the ultimate compliment is to compare an aspiringwhite receiver to Steve Tasker, who Jim Kelly once said was "uncoverable" in practice but who had just 51 career receptions in 13 seasons because he wasn't allowed to be anything but his assigned role of special teams ace.

G

Well the best thing about the 4 preaseason games is that the field is often half white. With all the white players trying to make the team. They are allowed to play in these games.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers and Cardinals are playing right now. Between them they have zero white running backs, zero white wide receivers (other than Special Teams Demon Sean Morey who isn't allowed to play WR), and one white defensive back (free agent safety Mike Lorello of Pitt). All three Steelers QBs after Big Ben are black. Almost all of their o-linemen after Jeff Hartings and Alan Faneca are black.Arizona isvirtually all-black at every position except QB, TE and center. This game looks like Grambling vs. Southern even when the backups are in.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I have to agree with you Don. Im really not a Steeler fan anymore besides Ben and Heath. Faneca and Hartings are both 30 or over and after that its going to be an all black o-line. I do like Batch as a back up but Boyd is mediocre and Jacobs will amount to nothing. I heard somewhere they told Gradkowski they would draft him but screwed him over by getting Jacobs instead. Colon was a good draft pick but over the past few years they have had no solid o-line picks and reached on guys like Essex who could of been free agents. I hope Cowher retires and maybe Whisenhunt can breath a little new life into the Steelers by not following the caste system so well.

G

Leonardfan said:
I hope Cowher retires and maybe Whisenhunt can breath a little new life into the Steelers by not following the caste system so well.

I'm sorry but this has to be the least intelligent comment in the thread so far. Sometimes you guys get a little carried away.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
89123 said:
Leonardfan said:
I hope Cowher retires and maybe Whisenhunt can breath a little new life into the Steelers by not following the caste system so well.

I'm sorry but this has to be the least intelligent comment in the thread so far. Sometimes you guys get a little carried away.

Please elaborate on how its unintelligent. It is speculated that Cowher will retire after this season and Whisenhunt seems to be the favorite to be his sucessor. Maybe he does not follow the caste system like Cowher seems too. Its not unintelligent at all.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
89123 said:
Leonardfan said:

I guess that means there's been other "unintelligent" posts in this thread as well. Yes, please do enlighten us so that we may become wise like you.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
I'm happy for Bush..6 carries for 59yards!Mike Hass is 28yards for 3catchs and we are in 3rd quarterEdited by: lumsdenpower

G

Leonardfan said:
Please elaborate on how its unintelligent.

If you seriously cannot see why, I will send you a private message. There's no reason to ruin the thread with an argument.

89123 said:
Leonardfan said:
Please elaborate on how its unintelligent.

If you seriously cannot see why, I will send you a private message. There's no reason to ruin the thread with an argument.

Based upon your previous posts, it sounds as though you are implying you don't believe in the existance of the caste system.

But hey, its 4 am, so cut me some slack if i'm wrong :pEdited by: Sark6354201