Zander Horvath

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've been following Horvath closely since he was drafted and you're right, he's only being talked about as a blocking fullback/H-back/WSTD. No one ever asks why someone with his top of the chart athleticism for the running back position has to move to fullback, especially when he was a successful running back at Purdue.

But I hold out a little hope that he'll show well enough in the preseason to get some touches, especially near the goal line, even without a string of injuries, and maybe his role can grow from there. Austin Ekeler is admittedly a top back but he's on the small side for a bellcow role and has been injured in the past though not last season. After him there's the rookie Spiller and some mediocrities. Spiller was drafted to be Ekeler's backup and maybe play third downs, but he's not exactly a bull with a nose for the endzone.

The Chargers could have let Horvath go the undrafted free agent route but they took him at the end of the draft, hopefully with a purpose more than making him just a special teams wiz and extra offensive lineman in the backfield. The current LAC coaching regime seems to have more on the ball than most, as seen by the sprinkling of White players on defense.

El Gringo

Mentor
Thanks for the info Don. I didn’t know the Chargers were so thin at rb. Hopefully he gets a few carries in the preseason and makes the most of them. Allstots first year I think he was almost exclusively used at fullback but he would turn a fullback in the flat catch into a highlight video 15 yard gain. His skills were so obvious that he had to be used at tailback part time at least. I think Zander has the skills to do the same.

I don’t understand how any coach that views his highlight video wouldn’t want to give him a shot toting the rock. A lot of dwf’s on the Chargers forum seem to want him as their big back.

Warhawk_46

Master
It is so obvious this guy should be running the ball even the blind DWFs can see it.

He reminds me a bit of Peyton Hillis; big guy but has some serious burst and strong as an ox.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Won't hold my breath. Chargers screwed over Hester and Watt. Horvath won't bee utilized like he should. Going to be a battering ram for a smaller, less athletic, Black, SEC back. **** the caste system.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Wow it looks like Brian Leonard 2.0 with the highlights I saw. Similar good hands and vision and power and he did more Leonard Leaps than any other running back I have seen in a while. It would be a total waste for him to be a pure blocking back and to not be used similar to Leonard at Rutgers or Alstott in the pro ranks.

sprintstar

Mentor
This is the second time I have watched this video and I get the same conclusion. Dude is big, fast, great hands, hard to tackle, has the ability to make defenders miss with just a slight movement of his upper body. He is constantly getting hit in the backfield/pressured yet is so elusive he doesn't get tackled much for any type of loss of yards. He is a terror for DB's not a blocking FB.

Warhawk_46

Master
What makes him any less than a Derrick Henry? Not knocking Henry as he is supremely talented; but is Horvath that much worse that he isn’t worthy of carries?

I mean if defenses struggle against Henry’s size and speed where he just wears down defenses, wouldn’t it make sense to utilize Horvath to do some of the same? Ekeler is a good back and still worthy of carries. Horvath is worthy of 10 carries a game, especially to wear down defenses. Any coach who has any brains and is not racist against whites would come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

Rocky B

Master
I watched most of his games the last few years....This crap, woke league just can’t help themselves........Go ZH, show these vag talent evaluators how wrong they are.....

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Some news on Horvath from the Athletic

• Rookie fullback Zander Horvath was working with the first-team offense during walk-throughs at the start of practice. Gabe Nabers, his competition for the fullback spot, was on the second field with the second and third teams. Interestingly, Lombardi said Horvath could get some work in the running game as a lone tailback in preseason games. “There’s a discovery process that will happen with him,” Lombardi said. “Gabe will keep developing, and we’ll see how that falls out.”

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well let's just hope that if he leads the NFL in rushing in the preseason like Ryan Nall did that it doesn't just become the kiss of death for him where they never play him again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Typical DWF moron (likely a girl moron in this case going by the writer's first name of Tera):

9 Players to Cut (2022 Fantasy Football)​

by Tera Roberts

Isaiah Spiller (RB – LAC)

Isaiah Spiller had a time period in draft season where many thought he was the handcuff and heir apparent to Austin Ekeler. But it’s time to take a hard look at reality. The Chargers signed Sony Michel after he was cut from the Dolphins. They also gave third-year back Joshua Kelley another try as the backup as well. And for some very strange reason, they also tend to be very fond of giving rookie fullback Zander Horvath goal-line looks. And Isaiah Spiller is nowhere to be found. I think the Chargers are fine with the options they have at running back and Spiller may not even be active. An odd amount of fantasy managers are holding onto Spiller and at this point, you’re just wasting a roster spot. It’s time to let him go.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers are traditionally a graveyard for White players other than QBs, TEs and the occasional o-lineman and LB, so let's just say I'm not optimistic about how it'll turn out. At least it keeps Horvath in the league for now, albeit likely on the practice squad:

Steelers to Sign Former Chargers Fullback​

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Steelers are traditionally a graveyard for White players other than QBs, TEs and the occasional o-lineman and LB, so let's just say I'm not optimistic about how it'll turn out. At least it keeps Horvath in the league for now, albeit likely on the practice squad:

If only any team could let him loose. The Steelers had Franco Harris back in the glory days of the 1970's with 4 super bowl rings. They
had "The Bus" Jereme Bettis back decades ago too. Both of these guys were bigger running backs. Why not let Zorvath show what he
can do? We can dream can't we?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

Horvath is better than that slug Benny Snell Jr. that got carries for 4 years in Pittsburgh. He's more bigger and more athletic than Anthony McFarland outside of the 40 time (better 10 yard split and vertical) and Najee Harris honestly looks like he is running in sand and isn't much more than a big bodied back - Harris didn't do much regarding workouts including no 40 time. Warren is the other RB on the roster who is probably the best recieving back. Logically Horvath would make sense as a bigger power back with receiving ability - hope he gets a break in Pittsburgh but they don't use FBs in the offense.

He may be a long shot but I am certainly rooting for him. He easily has running back ability in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Horvath is better than that slug Benny Snell Jr. that got carries for 4 years in Pittsburgh. He's more bigger and more athletic than Anthony McFarland outside of the 40 time (better 10 yard split and vertical) and Najee Harris honestly looks like he is running in sand and isn't much more than a big bodied back - Harris didn't do much regarding workouts including no 40 time. Warren is the other RB on the roster who is probably the best recieving back. Logically Horvath would make sense as a bigger power back with receiving ability - hope he gets a break in Pittsburgh but they don't use FBs in the offense.

He may be a long shot but I am certainly rooting for him. He easily has running back ability in the league.
You're right about Harris -- he's been a borderline bust during his two NFL seasons considering he was drafted in the first round. Lacks speed and big play ability and isn't even very elusive (which to NFL "scouts" and "draft experts" still indicated someone who was a "first round talent").

But he's still Tomlin's boy unless he looks even worse this season than he did in '22. Warren is a good third down back who likely isn't big enough to be an every down back. Tomlin traditionally likes bellcow backs, one of the few NFL head coaches who still does, but if asked if Horvath would be considered as a tailback his reaction would likely be no different than Bobby Bowden's was when asked if he'd recruit a White running back.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
You're right about Harris -- he's been a borderline bust during his two NFL seasons considering he was drafted in the first round. Lacks speed and big play ability and isn't even very elusive (which to NFL "scouts" and "draft experts" still indicated someone who was a "first round talent").

But he's still Tomlin's boy unless he looks even worse this season than he did in '22. Warren is a good third down back who likely isn't big enough to be an every down back. Tomlin traditionally likes bellcow backs, one of the few NFL head coaches who still does, but if asked if Horvath would be considered as a tailback his reaction would likely be no different than Bobby Bowden's was when asked if he'd recruit a White running back.

Let's not forget about Connor Heyward who is more on the roster because of who is brother is than his athletic ability. Both Heyward and Horvath were in the Big Ten at the same time and Horvath was superior to Heyward in every way. If Horvath does stick let's hope he doesn't get stuck with an H-Back/TE conversion.

jphoss

Mentor
Harris is still living off his #1 recruiting ranking and it was quite telling he didn’t do any combine testing. Usually black skill players now opt out of the three one and shuttle because they lack the lateral quickness as has been documented here many times. Harris didn’t do anything! Hasn’t even averaged 4 yards per carry in the nfl but he somehow has “elite talent”

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I got into an argument last year with a DWF who claimed Harris ran a 4.4 40.. lol dude just assumed he ran a 4.4 because he went to Bama. Typical, he was hit with a reality check when he searched what his actual time was. 4.6 amazing what the DWF mind attributes to certain affletes huh?!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Let's not forget about Connor Heyward who is more on the roster because of who is brother is than his athletic ability. Both Heyward and Horvath were in the Big Ten at the same time and Horvath was superior to Heyward in every way. If Horvath does stick let's hope he doesn't get stuck with an H-Back/TE conversion.
If he got a Chris Cooley amount of touches this would be a huge upgrade on touches, but the typical H-Back would be what he got last year in touches.

There is a window of opportunity to have an impact on the Steelers if Tomlin expands his playbook.

sprintstar

Mentor
I find it sad that Horvath had to accept the FB title at all, he is a running back not a blocking FB.

jphoss

Mentor
I got into an argument last year with a DWF who claimed Harris ran a 4.4 40.. lol dude just assumed he ran a 4.4 because he went to Bama. Typical, he was hit with a reality check when he searched what his actual time was. 4.6 amazing what the DWF mind attributes to certain affletes huh?!
Pathetic he should’ve just used his eyes and brain. Harris plays even slower than a 4.6 he is just a slow footed rb who gooned his way in hs to a 5 star rating