Zach Thomas gets offer from the Pats

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"They should drop Seau and put Thomas in his place."

Yeah, that would be the ideal situation. It's been speculated that the Pats only offered him the league minimum plus incentives for a veteran of his tenure. I know Zach has at least 2 productive seasons left, maybe even 4 if he can avoid concussions. The Pats LB corps would be pretty awesome with Mike Vrabel, Adalius Thomas, Zach Thomas, and Teddy Bruschi.

Obviously, if Zach Thomas ends up starting in place of Seau, that would give the Pats 11/22 white starters (assuming Evans starts at FB). If and when the young TE David Thomas gets his chance over the god awful Ben Watson, that'll make 12/22. That kind of dangerous situation would make the NFL's head spin
smiley36.gif

If they were looking for a good young LB, they should have never let LB Monty Beisel go to Arizona, he's been awesome whenever given a chance.

white is right

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
They should drop Seau and put Thomas in his place.
Seau is all but gone he turns 40 this year and is clearly slow out of the kill zone. The Zack attack/Big Ugly will be an upgrade for the Patriots.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white is right

whiteathlete33 said:
Thomas would be a good addition to the Patriots. What team wouldn't want a seven time Pro Bowler on their roster?

The Lions come to mind. They clearly aren't interested in acquiring talent.

dwid

Hall of Famer
yeah he is supposed to come to the Saints, they are really looking into him as we need someone good at that position, now only if we can get a good tight end, we are looking at alge crumpler which i don't like, i wonder if there are any good white te's in the draft or that are free agents, too bad all cornerbacks are black, but anybody will do better than the jason david and it would be nice to get jacob hester as a halfback, but thats just dreaming, hes good running up the middle, which deuce mcallister was okay at but has declined and has injuries and there are doubts whether he will be with us next yearEdited by: dwid

backrow

Hall of Famer
Zach signed with Cowboys.

rotoworld.com: "Cowboys agreed with LB Zach Thomas on a one-year, $3 million contract. Profootballtalk.com reports he'll earn a $1 million signing bonus with a $1 million base salary. Another $1 million is available in incentives.

It's technically a multi-year deal, the structure essentially makes it a one-year committment. Thomas is not guaranteed to start in front of Bradie James or Akin Ayodele, but he'll be part of a solid interior rotation for the Cowboys deep linebacker group. Expect his tackle numbers to go down, but Dallas probably offered him the best combination of money and possible wins."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the Cowboys will trade Bobby Carpenter before or during the Draft because it's obvious Dallas doesn't ever intend to give him a chance to start.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes, i think a lot of teams would love to have a guy like Carpenter on their roster.

btw free agent DE Justin Smith just declared that he wouldn't mind playing OLB for a 3-4 team. now that would be something, especially since this guy has a great pass rushing talent!

But can he cover? The reason to run a 3-4 is to disguise the blitz; I think he's a great player but wouldn't want to blitz him every down. What position did he play in college? DEs that can cover are rare; when zone blitzes don't work, they get exploited.

Plus, I'd rather have a great white pass-rushing DE than another guy who gets the BS rep of being unable to cover.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Im hoping Carpenter somehow ends up in Miami as a draft day trade. He probably could be had for a third or 4th round pick and the Dolphins have plenty of picks.

forty-four

Guru
Looks like Dallas gets Zach. Wow! The Cowboys with a white linebacker - how long has it been? Maybe Carpenter could break through with Thomas there. But then again, the Cowboys will have already stretched themselves with one white guy starting on defense, so we probably shouldn't expect too much more! Edited by: forty-four

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Personally, I'm a little dissapointed at this news.

First of all, who at this site doesnt hate the thug-ridden Dallas squad or would like to see them get any better....even with the likes of Thomas starting (which isnt a lock anyway)?

Second of all, I'm sure the super-caste cowboys will "rotate" him with a bum like Aodell (who was let go by Arizona and Jacksonville). I would have loved to see him playing with the Pats, however, I now hope they sign recently departed 49ers LB Derek Smith. That would be awesome, as Derek has been playing with the caste (and therefore sucky) 49ers through many losing seasons.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
Hopefully the Cowboys will trade Bobby Carpenter before or during the Draft because it's obvious Dallas doesn't ever intend to give him a chance to start.<!-- Message ''"" --><!-- Message ''"" -->

I'll second that in a heartbeat! Seriuosly the Cowboys coaching staff just thinks of Bobby as a special teams performer, they'll never consider him a starter. Which is a shame because the guy is one talented athlete. Carpenter is best suited for a team that runs a 4-3 not a 3-4. He played in a 4-3 at Ohio St and in high school so that's what he is used to and excels best in.

Stonewall

Guru
Derek Smith signing with San Diego gives them another frontline white player on defense. Igor, Wilhelm, Weddle, and now Smith. As forty-four pointed out, Smith was drafted by the Redskins in 1997 and played for Norv Turner. Smith was a co-MVP for the 49ers in 2005, so its not like his best years are far in the past. The man can still play.

I'd like to see New England and Indy further whiten their respective defenses. With that we'd have 3 of the top teams in the AFC leading the way with white players.