Wimbledon 2009

sunshine

Mentor
Sorry Poacher I hope you don't mind--your post referring to Nadal pulling out--I just wanted to get a fresh start for 09 so I moved Wimbledon coverage with an 09 headline. Wimbledon is generally my favorite sporting event of the year. And history could be in the making?????? Stay tuned.

Poacher

Mentor
No problem. I've enjoyed watching Wimbledon since I was probably 10-11 years old. It's the tennis equivalent of the Masters.

Andy Murray is making some noise. Looking at the draw, barring any upsets of course (and you know there will be at least one), Fed wouldn't face him until the final. Fed will have to contend with the Djoker and Muhammed Ali (Tsonga)in his bracket.

sunshine

Mentor
A Murray -Federer final would be scintillating. Mass hysteria from the British media.

guest301

Hall of Famer
sunshine said:
A Murray -Federer final would be scintillating. Mass hysteria from the British media.

That would be a great final, I would also like a Roddick-Federer final.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I don't see James Blake as having any "upside" anymore. What you see is what you get with him. Early round exits in major tournaments are the norm now. The US Open and the "J Block" fans are usually his best chance to succeed on a major stage.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Ana Ivanovic is in a bad place right now. She is in the grips of some sort of mental thing about her game. She barely escaped her match today against Lucie Hradecka. The match was entertaining at the end because both players were saving match points and Ana played a stretch were she looked like Ana of old. Hopefully she can pull out of the funk she's in. Another thing that has crept into her psyche, she is hung up over getting a proper ball toss on her serve. It's all over the place. Too low, two foot from her, way behind her. Reminded of the second basemen for the Dodgers (name escapes me at the moment) who couldn't make a throw to first base to get a runner out because of a mental block.

American Robert Kendrick gave Andy Murray a good match. Murray moves on and Roddick prevailed in four sets over Jeremy Chardy.

I'm looking forward to a possible fourth round match up between Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka. Have you seen Azarenka play? She attacks the ball with the ferocity of a hurricane. She can blow people off the court. She has a future if she can harness her aggressiveness and construct matches over two or three sets.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quiet Speed said:
Ana Ivanovic is in a bad place right now. She is in the grips of some sort of mental thing about her game. She barely escaped her match today against Lucie Hradecka. The match was entertaining at the end because both players were saving match points and Ana played a stretch were she looked like Ana of old. Hopefully she can pull out of the funk she's in. Another thing that has crept into her psyche, she is hung up over getting a proper ball toss on her serve. It's all over the place. Too low, two foot from her, way behind her. Reminded of the second basemen for the Dodgers (name escapes me at the moment) who couldn't make a throw to first base to get a runner out because of a mental block.

That was Steve Sax. He rebounded from that problem earlyon and went on to have a fine career. From 1982 through '92 he averaged over 40 stolen bases per season and finished with a lifetime average of .281.

Chuck Knoblauch, another star second baseman and superb base stealer,also had the same affliction for a while to a somewhat lesser degree. Both he and Sax were favorite targets for the wrath of the DWFs.

Poacher

Mentor
First week over with a couple of upsets.

We had American teen Oudin beat Jankovic.

James Blake train-wrecked his match.

Maria got put out.

The big guns are still going strong though. Should be a great second week.

sunshine

Mentor
Got to hand it to Wimbledon--they do things in proper style. That roof was finally closed and it lets in a lot of natural light and was a success. Andy Murray won the first match ever played with the roof closed.
I prefer outdoors but at least they didn't make the indoor setting tacky.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Tommy Haas defeated Novak Djokovic in 4 sets.

Roger Federer defeated Ivo Karlovic in straight sets.Edited by: Blue Devils

Matra1

Mentor
The two Andys - Murray and Roddick play Friday. They're the second match - after Haas v Federer - so it'll start around 11am EST. I still don't see Roddick or Haas beating Federer. Murray, with the fan support, might be able to beat him on a good day.

As for the women, it is an all Williams sisters final. Guess I won't have to set the alarm for Saturday morning.Edited by: Matra1

guest301

Hall of Famer
Matra1 said:
The two Andys - Murray and Roddick play Friday. They're the second match - after Haas v Federer - so it'll start around 11am EST. I still don't see Roddick or Haas beating Federer. Murray, with the fan support, might be able to beat him on a good day.

As for the women, it is an all Williams sisters final. Guess I won't have to set the alarm for Saturday morning.

I am like you Matra1 and most definitely sleeping in for the Williams Breakfast at Wimbledon tommorrow. I also agree with you that Andy Murray has a better chance of upsetting Federer because of past success against Federer(recently) and the home crowd factor.Edited by: guest301

Poacher

Mentor
Roddick just handed Murray his walking papers. Unbelievable.

Roddick is playing really well but I don't think it will be enough against Fed (who beat Haas in straight sets today).

guest301

Hall of Famer
If it wasn't for Federer and his absolute dominance over Roddick, Andy would probably have at least 6 major titles now instead of the one he has(US Open). Because of Andy's high velocity and well placed serve he will always have the proverbial punchers chance against Roger, I hope he gets it done this Sunday.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He is mentally weak against Federer. In his two losses he started freaking out and submitting when Federer passed him on his service volleys. I think he has a slightly better chance this time as Federer has clearly slipped and he might be peaking.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Federer defeated Roddick 5-7 7-6 7-6 3-6 16-14
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Blue Devils

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Blue Devils said:
Federer defeated Roddick 5-7 7-6 7-6 3-6 16-14
smiley32.gif

Wow, that sounds like as good a match as last year's Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal, which was widely called the best tennis match ever. The fifth set must have been unbelievable, fortunately i'll be able to watch a replay on the Tennis Channel.

Poacher

Mentor
Roddick played LIGHTS OUT. Backhand winners down the line, an impossible first serve, good movement...he had it all working today. He wasn't intimidated by Federer in the least.

As good as Roddick's service game was it can't be overlooked that Fed had 50 aces and 100 winners.

Roddick let a huge chance slip away in the second set when, after having won the first set, he was up 6-2 in the breaker and let Fed reel off six straight points.

What a match. All the legends were there; Bjorg, Laver, Pete and of course, Mcenroe in the booth.

So now Fed stands alone with 15 Slams. Amazing.

Looking ahead, it seems like more players are stepping up their game. Murray is only 22 and will be a force for years and Roddick is only 26 so he's still got some good years left. And of course there is always Nadal along with Djokovic.

Matra1

Mentor
The men's game is in great shape. Women's tennis is in the gutter. Dinara Safina, officially #1 in the world, lost 6-1 6-0 to Williams. Sharapova hasn't fully recovered - I'm not sure she can grow her rather one dimensional game anyhow. Then there's Ana Ivanovic, who has fallen off badly. Safina is a choker who seems intimated by Williams. The other Russians can't beat the Williams sisters - though Dementieva played well in the semi-final. Justin Henin needs to come back!

Europe

Mentor
Joe Morgan just said the longest journey anybody has ever taken are the Williams sisters form Comtpon to the Queens of England. Give me a break.
Too bad Tennis has turned into a sport where size matters. There was that American girl who did well this year and said she wasn't sure she could compete because she is only 5' 6''. That is not a small girl either. My impression is that size wasn't as big a deal in the 70's. Chris Evert wasn't that big, but maybe I am wrong. Sharapova is very large also.

Matra1

Mentor
One thing I didn't like about Roger today was that tacky jacket he put on for the trophy presentation with the number 15 on the back. (As in 15 grand slams.) Maybe it doesn't translate well but it seemed egotistical to me.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Europe said:
Joe Morgan just said the longest journey anybody has ever taken are the Williams sisters form Comtpon to the Queens of England. Give me a break.
Too bad Tennis has turned into a sport where size matters. There was that American girl who did well this year and said she wasn't sure she could compete because she is only 5' 6''. That is not a small girl either. My impression is that size wasn't as big a deal in the 70's. Chris Evert wasn't that big, but maybe I am wrong. Sharapova is very large also.

I just heard Morgan proclaim, after an announcer marveled at how strong Federer and Roddick looked and were playing after 4 1/2 hours, that tennis is a sport where being "mentally strong" is much more important than physical conditioning.
smiley70.gif

Martina Navritilova marked the onset of the era of size and power. Chris Evert played and looked demure compared to her. Steffi Graff was tall, fastand strong, yet still had some traditional femininity to her. Edited by: Don Wassall