The Herd on ESPN

Beano Cook is a football analyst that shows up every Wed. on Colin Cowherds talk show. I thought that BC may have slipped a little bit of truism in his analysis of two of the comparable college divisions. He may just get tacked to the wall as a racist, but I don't think that anyone really heard what he said. Let me paraphrase:

Cowherd asks Beano who he thought was the better college football conference, the ACC or the SEC.

Beano said that the SEC is because the ACC has too many "private" schools. He went on to say that "state" schools have more of the kinds of classes to "hide" the athletes in than the private variety.

I was wondering if I heard that right. Colin kind of moved them along after that, but I was thinking how many players, coaches and NAACP advocates are gonna be busting on Beano and the Herd for that little slip up. Why, to suggest that the largely black SEC is stupid is unconscionable will surely get the SEC panties in a wad.

As an aside, whats your take on The Herd? I think that if he snorts Vicks, Culpeppers and McNabbs jocks any farther up his nose, he must choke to death.

He does seem a little out on the edge sometimes which I like. He also likes to say that there isn't a sports story he won't touch. I wonder if he would no a fair, non-biased report on the caste-system, or if he thinks one is in place? I say no and no, but that is just me.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I have never watched it, but I think Beano is right about blacks in the SEC. They have majors created for them because they cant pass regular classes. Its a joke and a shame. Even Vanderbilt, the Harvard of the SEC (and no it's not Ole Miss), has admitedly lowered their standards to get "better athletes."

A local radio station in the Big Peach just replaced an excellent
mid-day show with this "Herd" garbage. My take? He's
a first class a-hole. He doesn't snort black athletes' jocks ---
he eats them for breakfast, dusted lightly with a little confectioner's
sugar.

It's quite impossible to describe how obnoxious this idiot is, but I'll
try....His show (at least the 2 times I've listened) goes
something like this -- (Screaming) THE YANKEES AREN'T DONE
YET..........MICHAEL VICK IS GREAT - WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST ADMIT
IT...........DONOVON McNABB HAS REDEFINED THE POSITION............WHY
CAN'T DAVID ORTIZ WIN THE MVP?.......His voice sounds like 100 New York
jewish princesses scraping their noses across a blackboard.

Beano is probably wrong about the public school vs. private school
debate. Trust me -- I'm familiar with university administrations
-- If anything, private schools have MORE freedom to allow for
"administrative admissions", i.e. overriding the admissions department
to allow thug af-letes in to play brownball or roundball (and to fudge
the system to allow them to remain "eligible"). The bottom line
is that most of the punks on the field in an SEC or ACC matchup are
operating at a 75-85 IQ level, far below the capacity needed to
legitimately pass a university level course.

College athletics depatments are perhaps the most corrupt and dishonest non-governmental institutions.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with you Southern Knight about private schools, but only at the high school level. Here's a great example. Last year, a member of the Mississippi Private School Association, Claiborne Academy, near Homer, Louisiana; had a few black starting caliber football players transfer in from the local public school after the season began. They had been kicked off the public school team because they didn't make the grades and wanted to play private school football. Claiborne's team had maybe 2 blacks on it before this happened, but now they had a total of 5. Who do you think became the running backs, right in the middle of the season? Yes, the blacks! They replaced the white starters and began to pile up yards. Well, the sad end of the story is that the MPSA let it happen, and Claiborne ended up winning the 1A title. How many public high schools do you know that would let a guy who started for one team and flunked off of it one week, start for another team literally the next week? I've never heard of one. With that said, I do not believe the same things happen at the private university level. Moreover, I don't think they do as much to create classes for these people who are little more than legs without brains.

Let's not forget that the only D-1 football program ever to get the
"death penalty" was a prestigious private school -- SMU. And
does anyone believe that the Miami 'Canes foot-brawlers actually take
real classes? And what about the scores of great Catholic
colleges that have solidly jet-black basketball teams (Georgetown, anyone?)</span>? Did Allan Iverson or Patrick Ewing or Alonzo Mourning REALLY get admitted to G-town? No way.

Private schools don't have to answer to the state legislature; hence, they pretty much do as they please.

P.S. The Herd is STILL an a-hole.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i know this for a fact: the University of Arkansas (a public, land-grant university) has stipulations in its admissions standards that allow ath-a-letes to get in. to paraphrase--if a potential student doesn't meet the academic criteria (GPA and ACT/SAT score) but possesses "other" attributes that would benefit the university, then exceptions can be made with regard to said students admission.

hmmm..."other" attributes? what could that be? a jump shot? a 4.4 40? or a patent for curing cancer? what do you think?

the point guard for the Razorbacks a few years back, not only was admitted to the UA with a score of 14 on his ACT, he also had a major that wasn't even in the student racing form (local slang for the class registration schedule)! i know it for a fact, "cause i done seen his there skool records, yes sir i dun it. n he weren't da only one neither!"
smiley7.gif

JoeV

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i know this for a fact: the University of Arkansas (a public, land-grant university) has stipulations in its admissions standards that allow ath-a-letes to get in. to paraphrase--if a potential student doesn't meet the academic criteria (GPA and ACT/SAT score) but possesses "other" attributes that would benefit the university, then exceptions can be made with regard to said students admission.

hmmm..."other" attributes? what could that be? a jump shot? a 4.4 40? or a patent for curing cancer? what do you think?

the point guard for the Razorbacks a few years back, not only was admitted to the UA with a score of 14 on his ACT, he also had a major that wasn't even in the student racing form (local slang for the class registration schedule)! i know it for a fact, "cause i done seen his there skool records, yes sir i dun it. n he weren't da only one neither!"
smiley7.gif
Is it even possible to score that low on the ACT?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[/QUOTE] Is it even possible to score that low on the ACT?[/QUOTE]

Just barely!Edited by: Colonel_Reb