Steroids and Black Athletes

StarWars

Mentor
The last time a white won the 100m. gold won was in 1980. An article I found chronicles only of a fraction of caught cheats of the past 25 years.Oh, what a coincidence. That was about when? Oh, yea...1980! Most to all of these cheaters are black. Surely Bolt is an exception to the rule, he only went from a 10.03 sec. 100m in 2008 to a 9.69 while slowing down in 2008. Even Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson have questioned Bolt's legitamacy. Here is the article about the caught cheats, and some of the suspected ones:

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/06/new-100m-wor ld.html

Here is Carl lewis questioning jamaica and Bolt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/28260 70/Carl-Lewis-questions-Usain-Bolts-record-setting-performan ces.html

I would like to add Javier Sotomayor to the list, the record holder in the high jump with 2.45 cm. Even though 8 of the top 10 high jumpers in history are white, Javier holds the world record. At 34 years old, he was caught for anabolic steroids, but was not stripped of his title.Edited by: StarWars

StarWars

Mentor
I also predict Michael Johnson and Maurice Greene to be caught in the next few years. Johnson ran his best when he was 30 years old, and is already expected to be busted soon.

Here is a link to a cover up of positively tested athletes including Carl Lewis: http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/04-18-2003-news.htm

Here is the article about Javier Sotomayor by the NY Times, notice the shortened length of the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/11/sports/plus-track-and-fiel d-sotomayor-tests-positive-again.html

Needless to say, neither Sotomayoror orLewis were stripped of their medals and records. More people know that Lewis was a vegetarian, but few know he tested positive for banned stimulants.

Edited by: StarWars

StarWars

Mentor
Another sprinter that is guilty that goes without saying is Dwain Chambers. He is banned from competing in the Olympics, however is still allowed to be involved in the IAAF. What levels track and field have stooped to!!!

G

I think its safe to assume that all of the top track athletes are juicing hardcore. Charlie Francis has come out on this subject with an interesting first hand account. His book "Speed Trap" argues that drugs are so prevalent in sprinting that it would be ridiculous to think the top guy could ever be natural.

Sotomayer also tested positive for Cocaine, which is, odd as it may sound, a performance enhancer, due to its stimulant properties which can be invaluable to explosive athletes like jumpers.

Its curious that some who fail drug tests keep their medals while others are stripped.

Also, you may be correct Star Wars but I actually thought whites had 9 of the top 10 high jumps of all time. Where does the other black jumper rank?Edited by: Latspread

StarWars

Mentor
I used wikipedia as my source for high jumpers so you may be right.
smiley2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_jumpEdited by: StarWars

StarWars

Mentor
Latspread said:
I think its safe to assume that all of the top track athletes are juicing hardcore. Charlie Francis has come out on this subject with an interesting first hand account. His book "Speed Trap" argues that drugs are so prevalent in sprinting that it would be ridiculous to think the top guy could ever be natural.

Sotomayer also tested positive for Cocaine, which is, odd as it may sound, a performance enhancer, due to its stimulant properties which can be invaluable to explosive athletes like jumpers.

Its curious that some who fail drug tests keep their medals while others are stripped.

Also, you may be correct Star Wars but I actually thought whites had 9 of the top 10 high jumps of all time. Where does the other black jumper rank?

It is definitely true that the amount of steroids and drugs at the elite level is staggering, but I doubt everybody does. And because white sprinters are looked at as an anomoly, I doubt many whites could get away with it.

Do you have a link tothat by the way; if there is one?Edited by: StarWars

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I could go on for days with names of guys caught.

Here are a few:

Linford Christie
Maurice Green(money order to drug lab for 10,000)
Justin Gatlin
Tim Montgomery
John Capel
Dwain Chambers
Ben Johnson
Carl Lewis
Marion Jones
Kelli White
J.Drummond

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Alot of them are former olympic champs and world record holders. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is going on.

Whites are competetive when the playing field is level. Either more whites need to start juicing or for WADA to catch more of the black sprinters.

StarWars

Mentor
It amazes me that although these people have been caught, they are still allowed to keep theiraccomplishments. Why are some busted, and most left alone? They cheated, and nobody seems to even care about it. The media is so successful in teaching people that blacks have EARNED all of their accomplishments. I wonder whether the IAFF is afraid to be labeled racist, or if they would just rather have black athletes at the top of the lists. Past 1980 steroids have aided blacks in the misconception of their dominance of sports, and nobody cares. Nobody cares that these people are not punished.

I'm beginning to believe the only solution is to make track an amateur sport, or not allow sponsored or paid athletes into the Olympics, because when money is involved, black athletes have shown they cannot play fair.

white is right

Hall of Famer
StarWars said:
Latspread said:
I think its safe to assume that all of the top track athletes are juicing hardcore. Charlie Francis has come out on this subject with an interesting first hand account. His book "Speed Trap" argues that drugs are so prevalent in sprinting that it would be ridiculous to think the top guy could ever be natural. Sotomayer also tested positive for Cocaine, which is, odd as it may sound, a performance enhancer, due to its stimulant properties which can be invaluable to explosive athletes like jumpers. Its curious that some who fail drug tests keep their medals while others are stripped. Also, you may be correct Star Wars but I actually thought whites had 9 of the top 10 high jumps of all time. Where does the other black jumper rank?

It is definitely true that the amount of steroids and drugs at the elite level is staggering, but I doubt everybody does. And because white sprinters are looked at as an anomoly, I doubt many whites could get away with it.

Do you have a link to that by the way; if there is one?
Drug cheating in Europe has waned. All you have to see to judge this the lack of Euro talent in on the female side compared to the Flo-Juice era. German female talent has trickled to 1 or 2 prospects every few years. Also tiny nations like the Bahamas now produce talent like East Germany did. Similar to the way GM used to roll out Escalades....
smiley36.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

devans

Mentor
Here is another one in my opinion. Germaine Mason, a Jamaican who "switched" to representing Britain and took a surprise silver at the Euro champs.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSteve%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank" target="_blank"><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
</><![endif]--><style>
<!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.Msonormal, li.Msonormal, div.Msonormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-er-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
</style><!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-s ize:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso- padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001 pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
fon t-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]-->

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/258699 6/2008-Beijing-Olympics-Germaine-Mason-soars-to-surprise-Oly mpic-high-jump-silver-in-Beijing---Olympics.html [/url]

The 25-year-old actually still spends six months of the year in Jamaica training
with his old high school coach, Steven Francis, Asafa Powell's coach.

Edited by: devans

StarWars

Mentor
Jamaica definitely has a nation wide steroid program, and therefore it will get out soon. One of these days some athlete will decide they can make more money by writing a book on cheating than in track, and Bolt will be at the center of attention.
smiley2.gif

G

Hey StarWars, you'd probably be interested in some of Francis' articles posted on T-Nation. I'm having a hard time setting up the link but a google search should lead you to all of his free stuff...very insightful.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
This may sound foolish, but I believe that one of the reasons why Black cheaters aren't called out and punished more in the sprint world is that sprinting is one thing at which blacks can claim to be superior -- whether legitimately or fraudulently -- to whites, and if they "lose" that it's like kicking a bunch of losers when they're already down.

This racist sentiment is displayed mostly by the white media, which doesn't even seem to realize how condescending and patronizing they are to Blacks. Or maybe they do, but being the closet racists they are, they think blacks lack the intellect to catch on.

I think whites in the media are actually being more racist when they hide the truth from people, than if they simply come right out and say what went down. Between the lines, it's like they're saying, "Without sprinting, you blacks have got nothing, so we white liberal apologists, being in power, find it acceptable to grant you the illusion of sprint primacy."

Meanwhile, of course, these same apologists always live in lily-white neighborhoods and say douchey things like "We're going to Whole Foods later in our new Prius to buy organic green beans, then we're going to a poetry reading" -- avoiding blacks in real life at all costs, of course.

StarWars

Mentor
Great posts guys. I completely agree that black are allowed to get away with blatant steroid use becaue it is "their" sport. Just as boxing or runningback is "theirs" too.

Here's a double standard for you. Theaverage black IQ is 87 and for white is 102. People will argue that gap is do to an inferiority complex, but the gap in white 100 meter times isn't? The media even facilitates the myth that whites cannot sprint, adding to the effect of discouraging white athletes.

Even if whites are smarter than blacks, even if blacks are lightly faster than whites, why add a feeling of inferiority to one race in sprinting but not the other in intelligience.

It is obvious in my opinion that whites are just a good at sprinting, and in the pat 25 years many black athlete have posted aided records and wins. But nobody questions them because it is "their" sport. The sport of track and field is being ruined because of it, and maybe it should stay a highschool, ccollege, and amateur sport.
smiley24.gif

mastermulti

Master
"The average black IQ is 87 and for white is 102"

I think that unwise ground to wander on, culturally based as IQ tests
generally are (and some studies being just plain fallacious and
mischievous).

But I would say that blacks of west african heritage ARE more likely to
have the physical tools to run faster. That's not a problem for me at all.

What IS a problem is when whites of talent are "stereotyped" out of the
sport by coaches who have pigeon-holed them.

Our institute of sports are in some cases (allegedly, and from an insider
whom I respect) targetting Nigerian athletes with all sorts of inducements
they couldn't get back home to become Australian citizens. As yet no one
significantly better than our own people has come along, but I can see the
need to get results from the sports development dollar unfortunately
causing the same pigeon-holing here where it isn't a tradition to do that.

Athletics Australia boss has already admitted on national radio that the
development dollar would be targetting our indigenous athletes (to find
the other Joshua Ross and Partick Johnsons out there) and I don't mind
that for it maximises their life prospects and our national athletic pool .
But why import? Edited by: mastermulti

dwid

Hall of Famer
asians score the highest on iq tests, i dont see how it is culturally biased
i dont think west africans have more "physical tools" to run faster
even if they were faster than Whites ON AVERAGE, that would still mean there would be a decent amount of Whites who could run just as fast if not faster. Just like if Blacks were not as smart as Whites ON AVERAGE doesnt mean there wouldnt be some intelligent black people. Since the USA has a majority of Whites you think you would see more White people in track and field.
but i dont think any race is superior at anything, so either way there should be more Whites dominating in track and field in America since we are the majority.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
mastermulti said:

mischievous).

let's see... scientists can accurately test the IQ ofAsians, Whites, Mexicans, Indians, children too young to speak or read,horses, cows, dogs, dolphins, all manner of apes and monkeys, elephants, pigs, parrots, etc. but they can't accurately test the IQ of blacks?
smiley36.gif
gimme a break!
smiley36.gif

the only reason no one likes to admit the accuracy of IQ test results for blacksis because they inevitably, and across all socio-economic backgrounds, turn out to be signifcantly lower than any other ethnic group's scores. it goes without saying then, if "culture" is the reason for this, then no black culture anywhere on the planet is worthwhile and should be abandoned immediately. of course, this too is a forbidden topic, however.

to point out any of these legitimate problems with blacks is to make one a horrible *gasp* racist, and must not happen at all costs. *yawn*

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You can never say anything negative about blacks. This is America. You can only talk bad about whites. The stupid media will say whites are not athletic. That is a lie and we all know it. They will never say blacks are not athletic. Blacks are fatter on average(obese) than whites. Why is that? We are stronger, have better hand/eye coordination, have better endurance and the speed thing is close to a wash. We also out jump them despite what people say. High Jump, Triple Jump, etc.

Whites have to belive in themselves. Quit thinking what we can't do and start doing it. We need several guys to step up in the 100 & 200. It will probably never happen here because most whites in the US are too brainwashed into beliveing that blacks are supermen. What a joke!

StarWars

Mentor
mastermulti said:

mischievous).

But I would say that blacks of west african heritage ARE more likely to

There is no such thing as "unwise ground to wander on" because here we can always talk about it, and eventually, wheher it is at the end of the world, the TRUTH will come out. It always does in the end.

I think that the TRUTH is that double standards like the one I pointed out are glaringly obvious and always in favor of blacks. This is not a racist backlash to the 1960s, it is the the path to one day freely talking about each races downs and upsides. No race is unworthy of living or incapable of being creative, no matter what any test says. I used IQ tests as an example of a double standard.

Through this thread I am trying to prove that black athletes have been portrayed as the fastest race when they are not. Virtually every black sprinter or record holder is using steroids, and many of them have been caught and their crime ignored. This could be due to a salutarian neglect policy so to speak, not really a plot. Blacks have been allowed to get away with it, and due to this they are wrongly considered the best athletes.

Nevertheless whites have still proved they are equal or better athletes.This shows the triumph of their spirit, and with pride white athletes could be the best of their potential. Confidence also cannot be underrated.

Options:

1. Legalize steroid use. 2. Make track an amateur sport

And one necessity:

Abolish the stereotype that blacks are faster. THEY are not!

PLEASE: Anybody reading this post read the rest of this thread too and especially the articles. If you can read all of it and still think blacks are faster, then and only then are you entitled to your opinion (opinions are a funny thing though, society usually has one on any given subject when people think they have their own).

G

mastermulti said:
"But I would say that blacks of west african heritage ARE more likely to

That's a very curious assumption. It seems that sprinting ability is largely determined by one's proportion of fast-twitch muscle fiber as compared to slow-twitch muscle fiber.

Olympic weightlifters (the best of whom are White) almost certainly have the greatest preponderance of fast-twitch muscle fiber. Not surprisingly, testing done at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics showed weightlifters to be faster than sprinters at distances up to about 25 meters (it's hard to find the hard data but references to the testing suggest that the distance was anywhere from 20-35 meters).

The 60+ meter dashes measure a different physiological skill-set than a 30 meter dash, to be sure. Nevertheless, there is much overlap and there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest that blacks should be more "fast" than "explosive" thus I believe that there are Whites with the genetic ability to be the fastest in the world just as Whites have proven to be the most explosive in the world (weightlifter example).

*It seems that the 60+ meter dashes measure pure top-end speed whereas 30 meter races primarily measure acceleration of "explosiveness".

StarWars

Mentor
Certainly whites have proven to be better weight lifters, shot putters, triple jumpers, and high jumpers; all events with a quick explosive effort not really based on top end speed.

If whites have proven to have better fast twitch muscles, and top end speed is acheived by how fast you move your legs, how long your strides are, and other fast twitch movements involving strenght and explosiveness; they should also be better sprinters.

But, alas, they are not right now. This is largely due to steroid use and propoganda dissolving the confidence of white sprinters perpetuating the myth that whites are slow and cannot jump, etc.

Why do whites also feel they are worse runners? Simply because white people think they are better weight lifters, and worse sprinters. Black people get discouraged at the amount of whites in lifting, but feel comfortable at sprinting.

Feeling comfortable is a key component of success. Good people back in the 1960s who were in favor of white athletes worked to make blacks feel comfortable, and certainly made progress. Now there is an overcompensation of this feeling. To try and be "fair" and imply we are all equal is now racist, when in fact we are not. Just like Giovani said, we gave blacks sprinting through policies such as salutarian neglect of their cheated accomplishments.

10.00. This number has been run by a white man before. Other than that, it in reality has no bearing. It is a creation by humans, just as time itself. The inventor of the second did not predict that ten ticks of the clock was the fastest a white man could run 100 meters, just as he did not predict that a mile could only be run above the four minute mark. Two zeros have plagued the mind of white athletes, causing self-doubt in an area that is intangible in its own realm. To put a limit on human potential, is to stunt it until someone can be freed and free others from the shackles of self-limit.

To limit a human being is to limit humanity itself. And the caste system is a disgusting example of limiting a race that has proved to be capable of great things.

Edited by: StarWars

white is right

Hall of Famer
I totally agree. A few years ago many people would have thought 44 seconds would never be broken by a white runner. Wariner has smashed through a harder barrier than the 10 second barrier. With luck Shirvo and Macro would have done this a few years back. If they did I think a flood gate might have opened up for white prospects. Similar to when Minnesota had the all white 4*400 squad and won the NCAA team title. Now white 400 guys aren't viewed liked like rare Bald Eagles.