Smoking Gun

The redesigned Draftexpress.com has a gushing piece about Ricky Rubio in a big European tournament. He sounds like a potential NBA MVP. Except ...

" ... you're going to find a lot of differing opinions about Rubio's ability to translate his style of play to the NBA. Some scouts still question his athleticism and perimeter shooting, with one GM we spoke to recently going as far as to say that he would 'never draft a white guy.'"

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-t hrough-the-Copa-del-Rey-Part-Two-3116

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Any owner who hears his GM say "he'll never draft a white guy" should be immediately fired on the spot. In addition to being a racist, that GM is an idiot in the fact they he is passing over 25% or more of the talent pool in any given draft. Would this GM honestly not want David Lee or Pau Gasol or Dirk on his team??? I wonder who this GM is.....

j41181

Master
I'm sure the GM's name will never be mentioned, and why is this not making headlines news? While this is nothing new against white players, this must the dumbest reason not to draft a player.

j41181

Master
I just looked around, and this incident is not reported at all elsewhere.

Anyhow, I took an extensive trip in DraftExpress (thanks GreatLakeState) and Ricky Rubio is basically a near reincarnation of Pistol Pete Maravich. Their practically of the same height, and are deft ball handlers. Rubio may commit so many errors at this point, but that's natural and needed for him to only get better. Maravich himself committed so many errors in his first 2 years as an NBA player, but he stuck with it to carve out a great career.

Rubio will no doubt do the same thing. Rubio happens to be a very feisty off ball defender, just like Maravich, he's a steal waiting to happen. The passing is just brilliant, not as flashy as Pistol Pete, but who knows, he might just make some spectacular plays that so far only J-Will has done. What needs for him to fix is add some muscle (20 pounds will do), and improve his overall shooting.

Maravich made himself into one of the best shooters of his time through trail and error, so should Rubio. Overall, the skies the limit for this dude. Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
I just came across this player:

Donatas Montiejunas

He is ranked 2nd in his age group to Ricky Rubio, and is the best young big man prospect. This guy is either another Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol. He has a great inside-outside game, has down-town range. He just needs to add more muscle and improve his defensive game badly. This guy is the leading scorer of a Mid-level European team (Dirk was also, prior to his direct jump to NBA), though he's still potentially a long shot, the successes of Dirk, Pau, and now Bargnani will always keep his chances good. Overall, he is very promising.Edited by: j41181

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
" ... you're going to find a lot of differing opinions about Rubio's ability to translate his style of play to the NBA. Some scouts still question his athleticism and perimeter shooting, with one GM we spoke to recently going as far as to say that he would 'never draft a white guy.'"

surely this doesn't come as a shock to anyone here. does it? anyone who thinks the NBA is a merit-based sports league is out of their mind.

also, i have actually spoken to several NBA scouts (never a GM to my knowledge, though) and the majority of them agree with this notion. even in the best-case scenario, they would suggest that a talented white kid would "struggle on defense" and "have trouble adjusting to the NBA game and culture."

it's pretty plain to see that the pro-black agenda is just as solidly entrenched in the NBA as it is with the NFL.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I'm sure if a white GM said something like "I'd never draft a black quarterback" his name would be mysteriously leaked to the press and people would be calling for his job.Edited by: Blue Devils

j41181

Master
Only in the NBA can a racist remark (by a black man) like this be ignored!

However, things in the NFL are just as severe!