SI article on white RBs

sunshine

Mentor
Phil Taylor on last page discusses lack of white rbs. He is not known for sticking his neck out at all but this is a good article.
Also Doug Gottlieb blasted Duke BB for being ulta unathletic. ESPN is the real culprit for nuturing this anti white a-hole all these years. One of many sports journos who preach the whites can't run or jump.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's the entire article sunshine mentioned.
<h1>Out Of The Running</h1>
<div>

They will
usually accept the backhanded compliments without complaint: "Hey,
you're pretty fast for a white dude." They will smile when they get
tagged with a nickname like Eminem or K-Fed. (Get it? They're Caucasian
guys trying to do what African-Americans tend to do better.) White
running backs will take all the good-natured teasing you've got, and
they'll ask for only one thing in returnâ€"the football.

Doesn't
seem like much, does it? Just give them the ball and with it the chance
to prove that productive rushers come in more than one shade. But
coaches don't seem to have that handoff in their playbook. You're more
likely to see Bill Belichick dance the hokeypokey on the sideline than
find a white tailback in the NFL. There isn't a single white feature
back on any of the 32 teams; through Sunday the Bengals' Brian Leonard
led all white rushers in carries, with 24 (for 66 yards). White running
backs break through slightly more often on the college level, where
Stanford's Toby Gerhart is third in the nation in rushingâ€"but there is
only one other white back, Nevada's Luke Lipincott, among the top 50
ground-gainers. Of the BCS teams Stanford is the only one whose primary
running back is white.

Maybe you're thinking that the
racial imbalance is because Caucasian backs just can't keep up. You
watch Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones-Drew and say, "Find me a white
runner who can do that." But there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to
suggest that white backs haven't been competing just against other
players; they've also been battling the perception that they're not cut
out for the job. Four years ago Gerhart was a hotshot at Norco (Calif.)
High, visiting USC on a recruiting trip with fellow runners C.J. Gable
and Stafon Johnson, who are black. The Trojans told Gerhart they would
love to have himâ€"as an outside linebacker or a fullback to block for
guys like Johnson and Gable.

That's a little like being
told the leading role is going to another actor, but how'd you like to
be his bodyguard? Says Norco High coach Todd Gerhart of his son, "Even
today with all he's done I had a linebacker coach say to me, 'You give
me one year with him, and I'll turn him into Junior Seau.'"

Gerhart
eventually got his college chance, but others, like Dillon Romain, are
still waiting. Last spring Romain seemed to have the necessary
credentials to attract droves of college recruiters. He's big enough
(5'11", 210 pounds) and fast enough (4.46 in the 40 according to
Scout.com, a recruiting website), and as a senior at powerhouse Don
Bosco Prep in Ramsey, N.J., he rushed for 1,435 yards and 25
touchdowns, earning the state's Gatorade Player of the Year award. Each
of the previous 10 winners of that honor earned Division I
scholarships, including three current NFL players, Broncos quarterback
Chris Simms, Bears tight end Greg Olsen and Jaguars offensive tackle
Eugene Monroeâ€"but not Romain. When he received no D-I offers by
national signing day, he decided to take a postgraduate year at Blair
Academy in Blairstown, N.J.

For those who do reach the
NFL, the path doesn't get any easier. In 2003 Brock Forsey was a Bears
backup who started one game in place of injured starter Anthony Thomas
and was spectacular, rushing for 134 yards and a touchdown on 27
carries. The next week Thomas returned to the lineup and Forsey went
back to the bench, getting only three carries. He never started another
NFL game. "It's hard to tell exactly what happened," says Forsey, who
starred at Boise State and is now an executive at a title and escrow
company in Nampa, Idaho. "No one ever said anything about race. But
there may be some preconceived notions out there. A white guy from
Idaho isn't what you have in mind when you envision an NFL running
back."

Evaluating players shouldn't be about what we
envision but what we see. That lesson should have been learned from the
decades of discrimination against black quarterbacks at colleges and in
the pros. Despite the obvious parallels, no one seems to be as
concerned that white tailbacks are getting the same treatment. "I did
dozens of interviews about the lack of opportunity for an
African-American to be a QB back in the 1980s and early '90s," says
Richard Lapchick, director of the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in
Sport at Central Florida, "but this is only the second time I have been
asked about the lack of opportunity for whites to be running backs."
Maybe that's because racism isn't the culprit here; it's mostly white
coaches and talent evaluators who are choosing black running backs over
white ones. But it doesn't make the color line any less real.

It's
not that football needs to aim for some acceptable distribution of
races throughout the field, and it's not that every white would-be
tailback who is passed over or directed to a different position is the
victim of stereotyping. It's about equality of opportunity, just as it
has always been. The sports world may be enlightened enough not to
immediately dismiss the idea of African-Americans as quarterbacks or
coaches anymore, but maybe we haven't come as far as we thought. Maybe
we've just found a new demographic to discourage. The dashing of dreams
is always an ugly thing, no matter what shade the dreamers come in.

Talk Back

If you want to comment on Point After or suggest a topic, send an e-mail to PointAfter@si.timeinc.com
</div>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1163298/index.htm

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think its a really good article, except for the two strange sentences after the Lapdog quote.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for establishing the race of the author, wa33. Despite the fact that he's black, I'm surprised to see this in SI. He's actually calling for fair treatment of white backs.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Colonel are you being sarcastic? Anyways articles like this are usually written by blacks. I figured Taylor was black from the beginning but whatever gets the word out is good for us.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Of course I'm being sarcastic.
smiley36.gif
I think this is one of (if not) the best articles written by a mainstream writer since I've been around CF. It does seem like things are changing slowly. I mean, CF has been around in this form for over 5 years. People have seen it and read a little of the info here if nothing else. The seeds of truth are being spread around the online universe and they are beginning to take root. I hope the number of articles like this, and the recent one by Steve Sailer, continue to become more prevalent.

newguy

Guru
A part of me would like to see black sports writers replace white sports writers and for white sports writers to be racially discriminated against, with no one caring or mentioning it, and for white people justifying discrimination against them by making up false stereoeypes,such as they aren't as good as black spor writers. Then they would see what the white athletes have gone through for years.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Colonel_Reb said:
Of course I'm being sarcastic.
smiley36.gif
I think this is one of (if not) the best articles written by a mainstream writer since I've been around CF. It does seem like things are changing slowly. I mean, CF has been around in this form for over 5 years. People have seen it and read a little of the info here if nothing else. The seeds of truth are being spread around the online universe and they are beginning to take root. I hope the number of articles like this, and the recent one by Steve Sailer, continue to become more prevalent.

I see it as a recognition that the seeds of truth are spreading as well. The media will never be sympathetic to Whites so this is more of a safety valve release by throwing a bone or two at the problem. There has to be way more pressure on the football establishment and the mediafor real changes to take place but at least the awareness level keeps growing.

Taco

Guru
I feel talking about discrimination against white athletes in the mainstream media is sort of like going to see a comedian who makes jokes about black people. I'm going to use an analogy here: The white people (white sports writers) in the crowd will look around to make sure the black people (black sports writers) in the crowd are "laughing" (writing about discrimination about whites) and only after seeing theres no chance of getting anyone angry will they "laugh" along with them.

Sad part is, when i see black tv hosts defend the athleticism of white athletes, their white tv host counterparts will scoff at them in this arrogant manner as if the black hosts are absolutely crazy for thinking such things. Its disgusting.

StarWars

Mentor
Fantastic article. One really dumb example of doublethink though:

"Maybe that's because racism isn't the culprit here; it's mostly white coaches and talent evaluators who are choosing black running backs over white ones. But it doesn't make the color line any less real."

Another black that defines RACISM as something that only whites can commit and never be a victim of. Other than that, great article. Not trying to have it all here though but blacks make terrible quarterbacks. It's not really the same as the dearth of white runningbacks because whites can actually be effective runners, unlike blacks who cannot really be effective pro quarterbacks (and some of the black receivers in the NFL do NOT have the coordination to catch efficiently like whites).

Can someone on CF get an official stat as to the likelihood of getting a D1 schoilarship of a 1,000 yard HS rusher, and compare the likelihood of whites to blacks. Also, do the same for any 40 time under 4.6 seconds (I bet more whites run under 4.6 than blacks because of our population anyway). I GUARENTEE the likelihood of a black 1000 yard rusher getting a full ride is considerably larger.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I love how he started off the article- with the stereotyping sociological pop culture connection...

I wish he would have statistically mentioned how Hillis dominated way above what Moreno is doing, only to be completely benched for no reason- instead of that Leonard stat (lack of production). Leonard to me is a 3rd down back, not a superstar featured runner like so many whites who have been screwed could be. In fact, there is no reason to think Leonard should jump ahead of Benson RIGHT NOW even without the caste system (woman assaulter Larry Johnson, who formerly was averaging 2.9 YPC only to be put in the perfect situation against the lowly Browns' defense...while that's another story).

My father actually called me about this article as soon as he got his SI issue, but I thought he might be pulling my leg since it was SI.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that Brian Leonard is still unnecessarily beefed up even though he is being used as a third down back this year rather than as a human battering ram as he was in St. Louis. At 6-1 there's no need for him to be 230 pounds. That can't help but affect his speed and quickness. At 210 to 215 he would have the quickness to be a featured runner to go along with his power. His career at Rutgers showed he has the ability, and his showing at the Combine proved he has sufficient speed. I don't know if he would be a star or not but he is certainly as capable as quite a few of the black backs who get the opportunity to start in the NFL.

Edited by: Don Wassall

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I thought Leonard played solid in St. Louis (considering 3 and 4 starting offensive lineman were out during his starting tenure as a mere rookie and Bulger missed a game too). Leonard was averaging 3.9 YPC at one point (the same as Jackson while he was recovering from injury), but it went down late in the season.

I was disappointed to see B-Leap struggle running the ball so far for Cinci though. I didn't see the games, so maybe he was being misused mostly in short yardage- bringing down his YPC? I did see on yahoo drive log that they handed the ball to Leonard twice against Oakland for no gain to run out the clock for the first half. I was just hoping he could do more than he did, considering this may have been his last opportunity. Now we have to see the all thug backfield of Scott and Johnson (or not, if we simply don't watch this POS league).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't watched enough of the Cincy games to know for sure, but I've yet to see Leonard have much running room when he does get carries. Do the sumos on the Bengals o-line try harder, consciously or unconsciously, when a brother is running the ball? Don't know, but I doknow Leonard has the ability to be a good runner but it's now very unlikely he'll ever get the chance.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I thought Leonard played solid in St. Louis (considering 3 and 4 starting offensive lineman were out during his starting tenure as a mere rookie and Bulger missed a game too). Leonard was averaging 3.9 YPC at one point (the same as Jackson while he was recovering from injury), but it went down late in the season.

Very true. He was as effective in his rookie season as Jackson behind that wretched line, but that's long forgotten by the DWFs, if it ever registered in the first place, who quickly jumped all over him as a "bust."

Westside

Hall of Famer
Brian is trapped. He signed to over 2 million and has a role in a winning team. After the season he can gamble and ask to be traded to a team that would give him assurances(good luck)that he would run the ball or share the role.

He needs to devise a stratagy with his agent and find a team that will let him run. Or just be content making great money compared to the comman man and hold your tongue and be used sparingly or good forbid as a sole battering ram. If it came to only the ram, I would F u and trade me.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
My guess is Leonard would be about a 4 YPC guy (the league average) behind an average o-line if used correctly. He would get better as the game wore on because of his size. Benson is averaging 4.2 YPC right now, but it took him a lot of time to find himself as a runner. Leonard will not be afforded any luxury like that.

Basically my point is that I think Hillis, Hester, Woodhead- and even Tre Smith or Jesse Lumsden if they were used in the NFL- would be better runners. Leonard's best YPC at Rutgers was 4.5 YPC his senior year- which was solid considering he did it with no lead blocker as a fullback. I know Rutgers was bad at the time, but his best YPC was 3.7 WHILE PLAYING PRIMARILY TAILBACK as a sophomore if I recall (he averaged 4.3 YPC as a junior playing a mix of tailback and fullback). He has good athleticism, but his INSTINCTS don't really STAND OUT at the NFL level as a runner. He is a great pass catcher though- and could be used as a primary runner in the second half by a team- when the opposing defense was worn down.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
re: phil taylor, a black man, writing this article. this is sort of a sports equivalent to the walt/mearsheim (two jewish scholars)report on excessive power of the Israeli lobby. Just as gentilesthemselves won't raise the israeli lobby issue out of a fear of being thought "anti-semitic", so white sportswriters are reluctant to raise the issue of favoritism towards blacks in sports, out of fear of being called "racist". But the major reason is not a consciousness of an injusticecoupled with a fear of speaking out; but anear-total unawareness of the very problem of anti-white bias in sports. They've been drinking the cool-aid so long, it's very difficult for them to think for themselves, and outside the ESPN box. Also, people are just plain lazy--easier to cheer Tiger Woods, Pujols, Ali, and chortle about slow,stiff, merely "competent"white players. Edited by: Solomon Kane

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
I haven't watched enough of the Cincy games to know for sure, but I've yet to see Leonard have much running room when he does get carries.  Do the sumos on the Bengals o-line try harder, consciously or unconsciously, when a brother is running the ball?  Don't know, but I do know Leonard has the ability to be a good runner but it's now very unlikely he'll ever get the chance. 

I live with a bunch of Bengals fans so I've seen enough games to know why Leonard's YPC is sooooo low. Pretty much every carry he gets is out of the shotgun formation. Number 1 this means he never has the luxury of a lead blocker such as a fullback or pulling lineman. Also its just hard to get consistently decent yardage in the shotgun when the linemen gaps are so wide defenders can just fill em easier.