Roethlisberger and Bradshaw

How often are Big Ben and Terry Bradshaw compared to each other? A few months ago, Don wrote "Big Ben finds a way to win again. He played through pain in his right knee which affected his mobility and came through when it counted at the end of the game. He reminds me of Terry Bradshaw--big, strong, mobile, with a strong and accurate arm. He should only keep getting better."

A big difference is that Roethlisberger played so well in his first two seasons. Bradshaw was very erratic at the same stage and always tended to have down days. Bradshaw's strong point was that he played well in playoff games later in his career.

He would keep throwing bombs until the Steelers clinched the game. It was said that Bradshaw was the one QB you didn't want to go up against in a Super Bowl, even though other QB's had better regular season stats.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It was said that Bradshaw was the one QB you didn't want to go up against in a Super Bowl, even though other QB's had better regular season stats.

Hopefully the same will eventually be said about Roethlisberger.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Bradshaw won 4 out of 4 Super Bowls.Regardless of what he did early in his career,only Joe Montana can match those kind of numbers in the big games.I think the Big Ben will do just fine.He is poised beyond his years.I would love to see him get the MVP tommorow so we don't have to hear how Bettis is the only reason they won it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I hope Ben wins the MVP too, though it wouldn't be surprising if the Seahawks pull off the win. There was a good article in one of Pittsburgh papers today, listing 10 reasons why Seattle is quite capable of winning despite the confidence of Steelers fans about the outcome. One of them was that if they hadn't rested many starters in the regular season finale against Green Bay and had played to win that game, Seattle would be coming into the Super Bowl riding a 14-game winning streak. I don't care how weak the NFC may be, that's very impressive. Hopefully it will be a great game and Big Ben and the Steelers will come out on top. Whatever happens, Roethlisberger is going to have a great career.

bigunreal

Mentor
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but Terry Bradshaw didn't "win" any Super Bowls. The Steelers he played for did. Big Ben certainly looks composed out there, but remember that he benefits from having a lot of solid people around him, and is usually not asked to do too much. Compare him to a David Carr, for example. Carr is physically superior in every respect as a QB, but is saddled with a horrible offensive line, one decent WR, and a ridiculous offensive system. I think if they traded places, that we'd all be singing Carr's praises, and Big Ben would probably not have lasted a season in one piece behind Houston's pathetic offensive line.