Oscar Gamble passes

Flint

Mentor
Oscar Gamble, he of the huge fro and a symbol of baseball in the 1970's passed. His passing is notable to me because I am reminded that in his day you could goof on a dumb black athlete. Today of course, any comment that indicates a black person is not a super genius is a sign that you hate all black people and want them dead.

Gamble, who seemed like a nice guy, also seemed dumb. He is known for his comment about the dysfunctional Yankee clubhouse: "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Such mangling of the language was once considered funny but now you have a whole slew of ESPN on air personalities that talk like that. I guess if Gamble was still in the public eye he would be acknowledged as a great thinker.

th

white is right

Hall of Famer
Oscar Gamble, he of the huge fro and a symbol of baseball in the 1970's passed. His passing is notable to me because I am reminded that in his day you could goof on a dumb black athlete. Today of course, any comment that indicates a black person is not a super genius is a sign that you hate all black people and want them dead.

Gamble, who seemed like a nice guy, also seemed dumb. He is known for his comment about the dysfunctional Yankee clubhouse: "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Such mangling of the language was once considered funny but now you have a whole slew of ESPN on air personalities that talk like that. I guess if Gamble was still in the public eye he would be acknowledged as a great thinker.

th
I always thought the craziest afro from this era was Bake McBride but after seeing Oscar, Bake seemed like he got his head shaved. BTW Oscar was snake bitten with the Yankees powerhouse teams of the late 70's. He left the team after they lost in the World Series in 76' and then came back in 81' and lost in the famous "Mr. May" World Series loss in 81'. He also got jaw cancer without dipping tobacco.