keep Eckel for the 2005 season. If this goes through the Patriots
will be a force with two backs. Eckel is a powerful inside
runner.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
That is great news!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It sure is great news. I hope he becomes one of their main backs. Maybe he will have a lot of impact in New England.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The All American Fullback on the All American Team.lol.
They wear red,white & blue.Kyle Eckel could be the poster
chile along with Brady for the team.He is in the mold
of Mike Alstott and would make them even better.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I was thinking of Mike Alstott too, white lightning, but I didn't put his name down. I think Eckel could be better than him if given a chance.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
IceSpeed2 said:
If this goes through the Patriots will be a force with two backs.

Is this yourhope or do you have a link to an article on this? Everything I've read about Eckel says that he is trying to make the Patriots as a backup blocking fullback. They currently have five tailbacks in camp, and Patrick Pass is the current starting FB.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Yeah. It is my hope. Should have said "could". Pass
has been identified as a running back several times by Bill
Bellichick. I have heard him say in press conferences that he is
not a fullback. Pass is only 217 pounds. Pass is a lot of
things, but not the bruising back the Patriots could use; Eckel
is. The Pats have always changed fullbacks frequently in recent
years, at least since Marc Edwards. They have found no consistent
starter, which has hindered them from playing smash mouth football.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pass definitelyseems too smallfor the joband it makes perfect sense for Eckel to be the Patriots' fullback and to get some receptions and runs, which is probably why it won't happen since this is the NFL we're talking about. But Bellichik has a lot of influence and "capital" right now, so maybe he'll be more inclined to give Eckel a shot.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Wow. Reminds me of when America was a white country. Any of you guys remember that? It's been so long but I almost forgot. Young kid out of the Naval Acadamy. Remember when the military acadamies represented everything good about our people? Imagine a quality back like Eckel, a former midshipmen for cryin' out loud, graduating and being able to play pro ball. What a huge event it would have been! And everybody (white) would have cheered it. One of our boys, a sailor, and a great ballplayer too. All-American, when 'America' meant the best, the very best. Just seeing him in that uniform would have reminded us of who we are and what we could be. (Sigh) Instead he's now fighting for a back up job to block for negroes. Sad sad sad.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The first half of the Saints-Patriots game has been the most enjoyable preseason game by far. Tim Dwight has been the leading receiver for New England and had a nice punt return. Kyle Eckel scored another touchdown. Doug Flutie came in near the end of the half and led the Patriots to a touchdown in three plays. Tom Brady looks ready for the season to start.

Most amazing of all, a white guy actually scored for the Saints, as FB Mike Karney rushed one in from a yard out.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Kyle Eckel blocked well at fullback too.
Karney has been used a fair amount. It is amazing for a team that
is nearly black to have a white starter with a secure postion.
Zach Hilton could take a tight end postion. Rohan Davey should
switch sports to hotdog eating.
smiley1.gif
Logan Mankins seems to be a good run blocker.

Monty Beisel needs to step up more. The Patriots run defense looks weak.

Edited by: IceSpeed2

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
IceSpeed2 said:
Karney has been used a fair amount. It is amazing for a team that is nearly black to have a white starter with a secure postion. Zach Hilton could take a tight end postion.

The Saints will have a white FB in Karney, probably a white starting TE, Colby Bockwoldt is a promising young talent at OLB, and Brian Young is a starter on the defensive line. That's four white starters in New Orleans, double Jim Haslet's usual lineup!

Jon Stinchcomb, who may have been a starter on the o-line, blew a knee and is out for the year. Ditto WR Chase Lyman. Haslet may be ceding the annual battle for blackest team to Brian Billick and Denny Green this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, just when I thought the Saints were becoming a dynasty!
smiley36.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
How about Kyle Eckel in tonights game.He had 4 rushes for 33 yards including a 17 yard run!Not bad for a 5'11 244lb
fullback.I looked on the website and they have him listed at running back.Either way,I would love to see him get 5 to 10 carries a game in the regular season.It's probably wishful thinking though with C.Dillon there.Go Eckel!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Eckel got some touches last night...10 carries and 34 yards with a long of 11. also had a catch. comparable tothatof the tailback, chapman(10-39-6 and 1 catch), despite running from the fullback position.

wish he could line up from the tailback spot a little more so he could read the defense better...running from the fullback position is a lot tougher because you basically just hit the hole as hard as you can without being able to look for running lanes.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very true and also it is nice to have a fullback blocking for you.Eckel could easily be a very effective running back if given the opportunty.We can only hope that they experiment with him a little.I do believe he will be used alot inside the 5 yard line.He is only going to get better.I'm really glad the Navy allowed him to go to the NFL and the Pats are giving him a chance.He is a class act!

kevin

Guru
Eckel seems to show a greatburst of speed at times. He could be another Alstott, I just hope the pats give him a chance to show what he has in the regular season. It is nice see a player that goes undrafted getting a chance to show teamswhat they missed out on. Maybe Denver should have taken him instead of Clarett.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eckel was released today. Very disappointing. As long as I've seen the Caste System at work I still had hopes that he'd make the team. Maybe he'll be signed to the practice squad.

Kaptain

Master
Wow! I thought Eckel was a shoe-in with the amount of carries he got in the preseason and with good results. This is completely ridiculous. He didn't beat out Patrick Pass!!!! Bullsh*t.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with all of you guys.I am speechless!I can't believe he was cut when he played so good.Everyone on
the team loved this kid and so did the fans.I think as
Colonel Callan said it best,the system will get worse
before it gets better.It is hard to imagine the Caste
System much worse than it is now!Although,look at the QB's
and the new offensive lines and how they are changing.It
is disgusting to me and makes me want to give up football.

IceSpeed2

Guru
I am very surprised that Eckel was cut. The
announcers praised him, fans praised him, and coaches praised
him.

Come to think of it, the announcers just said he was
on leave just for the training camp. Patriots.com made no comment
on the cut. I think it was just because of a military
commitment.

The Dolphins picked Eckel off the waiver wire. Given that new head coach Nick Saban wants his Miami roster to resemble that of his LSU teams, the obvious question is why? This kid out of the Naval Academy especially doesn't deserve to be jerked around by the Caste NFL.