Jimmy Garappolo

E

Elzio Dennick

The guy just never delivers the goods, time to move on?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
He’s been to the Super Bowl and NFC championship game in 2 of the last 4 years. There are far worse QBs out there gifted starting jobs.

Jerry Reb

Mentor
I think "never delivers the goods" is an unfair and overly simplistic assessment. The media said the exact same thing about Stafford during all his years in Detroit. There's a whole team, the coaching style, the management, etc. to take into consideration. Quarterbacks are an easy scapegoat for a team that's not performing as well as its fans would like, but somehow it only ever seems to happen to White QBs.

At any given year in the NFL, there are approximately 15 quarterbacks (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) who are franchise level...but only one can win the Super Bowl. What happens to the 14 or so other guys? Are they to be given up on, or do we take into account the reality that there can be only one winner each year? People love to make fun of the Bills for losing 4 Super Bowls in a row, but just making it to 4 Super Bowls in a row is an achievement impressive enough that it has not been replicated.

There are guys like Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer who were great QBs, genuine franchise QBs, guys who absolutely deserved their starting position every game they had it, and they never won a Super Bowl. (On the other side of the coin there are guys like Joe Flacco, who won a Super Bowl but over the course of his career definitely wasn't as good as Rivers or Palmer). A lot of getting to (and winning) Super Bowls involves things that are out of the QB's control.

At the end of the day, Jimmy G is by far the best QB on the 49ers roster right now. None of his backups could come close to doing what he's done. And drafting a new QB will require time to develop the new guy, and of course the gamble that he won't be a bust.

Just my two cents on the matter...

icsept

Master
Jimmy G is an excellent QB when he can stay healthy. Both of his two full seasons he put up nearly 4000 yards with 100 qb rating, culminating in Super Bowl and NFC Championship appearances. He’s not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. But, who is? He’s 30 years old, in the prime of his career. He obviously can be a part of winning teams. He will be highly sought after this offseason.

E

Elzio Dennick

He’s been to the Super Bowl and NFC championship game in 2 of the last 4 years. There are far worse QBs out there gifted starting jobs.

Yes there are far worst QB's in the NFL than Jimmy G, totally agree.

E

Elzio Dennick

I think "never delivers the goods" is an unfair and overly simplistic assessment. The media said the exact same thing about Stafford during all his years in Detroit. There's a whole team, the coaching style, the management, etc. to take into consideration. Quarterbacks are an easy scapegoat for a team that's not performing as well as its fans would like, but somehow it only ever seems to happen to White QBs.

At any given year in the NFL, there are approximately 15 quarterbacks (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) who are franchise level...but only one can win the Super Bowl. What happens to the 14 or so other guys? Are they to be given up on, or do we take into account the reality that there can be only one winner each year? People love to make fun of the Bills for losing 4 Super Bowls in a row, but just making it to 4 Super Bowls in a row is an achievement impressive enough that it has not been replicated.

There are guys like Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer who were great QBs, genuine franchise QBs, guys who absolutely deserved their starting position every game they had it, and they never won a Super Bowl. (On the other side of the coin there are guys like Joe Flacco, who won a Super Bowl but over the course of his career definitely wasn't as good as Rivers or Palmer). A lot of getting to (and winning) Super Bowls involves things that are out of the QB's control.

At the end of the day, Jimmy G is by far the best QB on the 49ers roster right now. None of his backups could come close to doing what he's done. And drafting a new QB will require time to develop the new guy, and of course the gamble that he won't be a bust.

He's 30 years old and has never played in a pro bowl, had a 4000 yard season or a 30 TD season. I watched the game yesterday at a bar with a bunch of Niner fans, all of them.....watch Jimmy G blow it.

Yes he is by far t best QB the Niner have right now, but try comparing him to Montana, Young.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Our favorite troll Brutal tried yet again. He's certainly a stubborn old fool. :ciao:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Excellent post

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He's 30 years old and has never played in a pro bowl, had a 4000 yard season or a 30 TD season. I watched the game yesterday at a bar with a bunch of Niner fans, all of them.....watch Jimmy G blow it.

Yes he is by far t best QB the Niner have right now, but try comparing him to Montana, Young.

I don't see this loss as on Jimmy G.
Everyone is talking about the interception that ended the game.
But it was 3rd and 13 from their own 22yd line, with a 1:20 minute left.
He needed to make a play, but was under extreme pressure. If he takes the sack, it's 4th and 21 from their 14yd line! Basically game over.
If he flipped the ball away for incompletion, it's still 4th and 13. Again, basically game over.
Meanwhile, if the Niners DB had intercepted the pass that hit him right in the chest, the Niners probably would have won.

No, you can't compare him to Montana and Young (how many QBs can be compared to those two?).
A more apt comparison might be Alex Smith.
But just like Alex Smith, the media throws Jimmy G under the bus in favor a young, black, 'athletic' QB.
In this case Trey Lance.
Trey has only played one full college season. He is VERY inexperienced. I don't believe there is anyway he can bring them as far as Jimmy G. has.
But the media has brainwashed the Niner fans to believe otherwise.

NikoDuke

Guru
Jimmy G is yet another example highlighting that White QB's have to be near perfect otherwise the "narrative" turns on them. Compare how the media treats Jimmy G vs. how the treat Dak.

Our favorite troll Brutal tried yet again. He's certainly a stubborn old fool. :ciao:

So it was Brutal again. He followed the same old pattern. First, pretending to be a friend, then bringing up a topic covered numerous times, finally pointless ridicule of White athletes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
So it was Brutal again. He followed the same old pattern. First, pretending to be a friend, then bringing up a topic covered numerous times, finally pointless ridicule of White athletes.

Yes, he was a little more sly than usual this time around, but what's the point when he's going to eventually reveal himself and his agenda and be banned?

At least he caused some posting in the 49ers forum, which is the slowest of the 32 teams. :)

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Jimmy G didn't blow the game. The defensive backs who couldn't cover the dominate Cooper Kupp are responsible for the 49's choking.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I'm proud of Jimmy G for derailing the Trey Lance Hype Machine! He's an alright guy in my book! With all the recent retirements, I'd say he's now firmly in Bottom Half of Top 10 QBs in The League.

plantation pete despises white qbs so Jimmy G going there is far fetched, Seattle is way too woke for a white starting QB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Horrible news. Jimmy G. broke his foot early in tonights Sunday Night Football Game. This may be the end of his career. Hope not
as he can still play. Let's see how he heals and what thinks look like going into next fall.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Another talented white guy who had to go the FCS route to the NFL. A paesano to boot!

Here’s hoping he heals up. He is 31 so it’s not inconceivable

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Now they are saying that he won’t need surgery and if rehabilitation goes well he could return at some point in the playoffs. Good news I suppose.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Now they are saying that he won’t need surgery and if rehabilitation goes well he could return at some point in the playoffs. Good news I suppose.

Not the worst news. It also bodes well for his overall recovery too if the injury is not as serious as first expected. I'll be supporting Purdy strongly for the rest of the season. The NFC West looks to be the 49ers to lose. Run the ball with McCaffery, play strong defense and allow Purdy to make timely throws - they should hit 10 or 11 wins.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://nfltraderumors.co/kyle-shanahan-doesnt-see-qb-jimmy-garoppolo-on-49ers-roster-in-2023/

The 49ers might have lucked out with their selection of Purdy. After the debacle and mismanagement of the QB position by Lynch/Shanahan that led to their loss rather than stumping for Jimmy G to remain as a solid veteran player/potential starting QB due to injuries to Purdy and what's looking to be one of the bigger mistakes in NFL history - Lance they came out and said they do not see Jimmy G back in San Francisco.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
https://nfltraderumors.co/kyle-shanahan-doesnt-see-qb-jimmy-garoppolo-on-49ers-roster-in-2023/

The 49ers might have lucked out with their selection of Purdy. After the debacle and mismanagement of the QB position by Lynch/Shanahan that led to their loss rather than stumping for Jimmy G to remain as a solid veteran player/potential starting QB due to injuries to Purdy and what's looking to be one of the bigger mistakes in NFL history - Lance they came out and said they do not see Jimmy G back in San Francisco.
Was coming to share this as well, but couldn’t have said it any better. Lance will be gifted his job after stellar relief performances from the backup QBs.

Ill be cheering on Niners honkey stars next season. However with Lance heading things, it’ll leave a sour taste in my mouth. IMO him, Jordan Love, and Malik Willis are amongst the most egregious 1st RD Quotas in quite a while..

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Was coming to share this as well, but couldn’t have said it any better. Lance will be gifted his job after stellar relief performances from the backup QBs.

Ill be cheering on Niners honkey stars next season. However with Lance heading things, it’ll leave a sour taste in my mouth. IMO him, Jordan Love, and Malik Willis are amongst the most egregious 1st RD Quotas in quite a while..

Agreed on Love and Lance - especially Lance. Willis was a high first round pick in the eyes of the DWFs/draft "experts" only ;) He lasted until the third round much to the chagrin of the aforementioned groups and went on to prove that he isn't capable of being a franchise QB.

5-10 years ago I would have analyzed Brock Purdy as a potential game changer in the way QBs are analyzed

Last edited:

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer

I'll be hoping they tank if they gift the starting spot to Lance over Purdy. They'll likely diplomatically "say" they both will be competing for the starting spot but then again that might be racist, so they may just hand it to Lance. Purdy deserves to return starting if healthy. The kid was fantastic and winning until the injury in the biggest game of the year.