Interesting Potential Heavyweight

Sean

Mentor
I don't know how many of you on the boxing forum follow the World's Strongest Man contest, but the ltest white Heavyweight may be coming from it's ranks. On ironmind.com, it was reported that 22 year old Norwegian strongman Arild "The Hulk" Haugen has decided to become a pro boxer in 2009. Here are quotes from him in the article:

"I love strongman, the people in this sport are great, but I sacrifice so much for so little. This is my job, and I am probably one of the 20 best guys in the world, but still there is no money. It is hard work, and all you get back is a little bit of honor from people that are training themselves. I have been in quite many shows at an age of 22, and see how the different competitions are, and I want more and have bigger dreams in my life."

"I got a very good offer if I started boxing. Just to sign the contract I will earn more than I have done so far in strongman, and I love the sport: I used to box before."

"I realized if you want to live out this dream, you will have to do it now and not wait until you are 30 years old . . . Then it's too late in boxing, but I still can come back to strongman whenever I want. There are no age limits in strongman."

"I still haven't signed the contract yet, but I am sure it will turn out very well. So I guess and hope I will be 'The World's Strongest Boxer.'"

"I want to thank all the strongman fans all over the world and wish my competitors good luck in the future!"

"A new age has begun for 'The Hulk'."

Haugen is 22, 6'2 315 pounds. Obviously he will lose some weight for boxing, but he's not fat at all. Very lean muscular build. While most enourmous fighters turn out to be busts, I think Haugen has a chance, because he has some previous experience, he must hit hard
smiley17.gif
, and he is already in pretty good shape.

DSC_0076.JPG

Frontkneboey_Sports-Club10.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

smiley32.gif

I don't know what it is about the Scandinavians, but they produce on average, more power houses than any other sub-Group of any any race it seems. The south eastern Slavs are another group that seem to be freakishly strong. Best the luck to the young Viking.Edited by: aussieaussie31

Sean

Mentor
Thanks for the replies guys.

Aussie, I agree with you. There may not be any ethnic group on earth that has the raw potential for power that Scandinavians have. The sad thing is, they rarely (outside of Strongman) use it. No Olympic Lifting or anything, which is instead dominated by Eastern Europeans. I feel that if the Scandinavians were ever to fully devote themselves to developing their natural abilities, they could be the strongest people in the world.

Thanks for the video Deadlift. I hadn't seen that one. I know you're interested in strongman too. I wonder what Odd Haugen thinks of his son going into boxing? The senior Haugen is very active in the world of strongman. Arild got into strongman young, and maybe just burned himself out already. Like he said, not much money in strongman.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I actually didn't know that Odd Haugen was Arild's father.

I think Arild made a good decision. In strongman, his frame is not considered very large. In my opinion, his frame and athleticism are better suited for boxing or MMA.

Andrus Murumets, Tarmo Mitt, Dave Ostlund and Bulgaria's Stoyan Todorchev - have absolutely massive frames.

Stoyan from a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujv_SiYiNhc

Everyone around him looks so small.

Sean

Mentor
Deadlift said:
I actually didn't know that Odd Haugen was Arild's father.

I think Arild made a good decision. In strongman, his frame is not considered very large. In my opinion, his frame and athleticism are better suited for boxing or MMA.

Andrus Murumets, Tarmo Mitt, Dave Ostlund and Bulgaria's Stoyan Todorchev - have absolutely massive frames.

Stoyan from a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujv_SiYiNhc

Everyone around him looks so small.

I agree Deadlift. Here are two pictures that prove your point (too big to post so I will link to them). Notice how, despite Haugens massive shoulders, he appears much leaner and a different body type than his counterparts.

Second from right, next to Sven Karlson

Again, next to Karlson

I personally feel MMA would have been a better choice. You can utilize your strength and power more in MMA than you can in boxing. People absolutely raved about Lesnar's power (and Shane Carwin's for that matter). Haugen would be close to twice as strong as Lesnar in my estimation.

I feel Haugen could have had agreat future in strongman, but he could also have a great boxing/mma future as well. I hope he gets a fight soon, so we can see it!