Hugh McElhenny RIP

Hugh McElhenny, legendary HOF running back, has died at age 93.

He is a mythic figure to those who know who he was. Known as The King, made one of the phenomenal highlight reels of all time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think we have another McElhenny thread somewhere, and probably this highlight film on it, which is always fun to watch. He was an amazing runner. RIP

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
One of the greats!
Fantastic broken field runner.
Good size and speed, and moves.
The King!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I had heard the name before but it was great to watch those highlights. Just a killer exhibition of his fantastic ability. Rest in peace.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Great highlights of McElhenny! I'm going to post them on other sites.

white is right

Hall of Famer
After Jon Arnett he was my favorite pre merger back in terms of running style. He played in an era where the running back(usually a fullback) was the main cog in the offense and the 49ers had 3 future hall of fame members in their backfield in Hugh, Joe Perry and John Henry Johnson. It was dubbed the million dollar backfield and the quarterback was Y.A. Tittle who himself was a hall of fame member.

Sad news but a life well lived!

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I think we have another McElhenny thread somewhere, and probably this highlight film on it, which is always fun to watch. He was an amazing runner. RIP

Cool video. I noticed some of the footage speed seemed a bit slower than other. Giving the illusion that the game was slow during that era. But on occasion some clips gave an accurate gauge of the speed at which McElhenny was moving.

sprintstar

Mentor
never heard of him till this post. Watched his hilights and he was an incredible runner. Break away speed and catch me if you can ability. His open field instincts were off the charts. He would make todays DB's look like toddlers...