Good Turkish Card on Friday

Sean

Mentor
There's a pretty good fight card in Turkey on Friday. The main event features Sinan Samil Sam vs. Paolo Vidoz of Italy. I'm hoping for Vidoz to win, but it will be tough. Also, The Albanian Tyson Nuri Seferi fights Herbie Hide. I, unfortunately, don't feel Seferi has much of a chance, but I would love to see him knock Hide out! The most intriguing matchup of the night though, is young Czech heavyweight Ondrej Pala vs. Henry Akinwande. Pala is only 23 yrs old, 6'3 230-ish. He's 19-2 with 16 ko's. He lost a respectable UD to Rene Dettweiler, and was stopped on cuts in an exciting 5 rounder against Boytsov. If he can manage to beat the vastly more experienced Akinwande, I can see very big things for him in the future.

smiley32.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Henry Akinwande, the powerful 6'7" Nigerian, was the WBO titleholder at one time. He vacated the title to fight Lennox Lewis, just before he came down with hepatitis B and had to take a year off. Even at age 42, he's likely still very strong - he likes to hold a lot and lean on his opponents to tire them out - so he's not an easy test for young Pala.

We can watch this fightcard at the BoxRec website:

BoxRecEdited by: JD1986

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Pala defeated Akinwande today by decision, the sound temporarily gave out on the livestream so I didn't hear the scorecards. Pala had an age advantage, but Akinwande had a big height, reach and experience advantage.

Akinwande held a lot, and hardly threw a power punch while backing up defensively the entire fight. The more aggressive Pala missed sometimes, but landed enough power punches to clearly win the decision.

Sean

Mentor
Wow! Thanks for the update JD, there are no other updates anywhere, and I can't watch it on boxrec because I find out my computer is too slow
smiley19.gif
Any info on the Hide/Seferi fight or Vidoz/Sam?

BTW, I have high hopes for Pala. I knew he could be something special following his competitive loss to Boytsov. Glad to hear he won, this is by far the biggest fight of his career.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sean said:
Wow! Thanks for the update JD, there are no other updates anywhere, and I can't watch it on boxrec because I find out my computer is too slow
smiley19.gif

BTW, I have high hopes for Pala. I knew he could be something special following his competitive loss to Boytsov. Glad to hear he won, this is by far the biggest fight of his career.

Strange things happened with the other fights.

Vidoz and Sam had a draw. (I scored it a close win for Paola) After the fight, Sam's promoter Ohner went through the ropes and banged his fist on the judges table, then physically attacked one of the judges. It was an ugly scene.

The Hide fight was marred by absurdly crooked officials. Hide was knocked down by Seferi in the first, and the ref gave him extra time to recover. He was held up by the ropes in the second, but there was no official knockdown. The ref repeatedly protected Hide and scolded Seferi for no good reason.

The scores were announced after four rounds: 39-37, 38-37, 38-37, all for Hide. How could it be 39-37 for Hide when he was knocked down in the first round?

The referee continued to help Ohner's fighter - Hide was given a rest when he was hurt in the 8th (taken over to his corner to tie his laces).

Hide won a very wide decision on the cards - obviously Ohner had the judges and ref paid off.
smiley13.gif
Edited by: JD1986

Sean

Mentor
JD1986 said:
Sean said:
smiley19.gif

Strange things happened with the other fights.

Vidoz and Sam had a draw. (I scored it a close win for Paola) After the fight, Sam's promoter Ohner went through the ropes and banged his fist on the judges table, then physically attacked one of the judges. It was an ugly scene.

The Hide fight was marred by absurdly crooked officials. Hide was knocked down by Seferi in the first, and the ref gave him extra time to recover. He was held up by the ropes in the second, but there was no official knockdown. The ref repeatedly protected Hide and scolded Seferi for no good reason.

The scores were announced after four rounds: 39-37, 38-37, 38-37, all for Hide. How could it be 39-37 for Hide when he was knocked down in the first round?

The referee continued to help Ohner's fighter - Hide was given a rest when he was hurt in the 8th (taken over to his corner to tie his laces).

Hide won a very wide decision on the cards - obviously Ohner had the judges and ref paid off.
smiley13.gif

AH! I had hopes for Seferi to win this one. I like him since I saw him against Bidenko. I should have known this card would be crooked. I've never liked Ohner, but I didn't think he'd pull something like this. We can only hope Seferi complains to some boxing board over this. He really has a case, especially if the cards after 4 are shown. That would prove the judges incompetence and bias.

Still, I applaud both he and Vidoz for going into Ankara and doing what they had to do, we all know who really won!
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ohner seems to be more crooked than any promoter in North America. I recall seeing on Youtube his interference in a fight in Spain too. Don King would love to be able to do what he does in The US...
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Ohner seems to be more crooked than any promoter in North America. I recall seeing on Youtube his interference in a fight in Spain too. Don King would love to be able to do what he does in The US...
smiley36.gif

Ohner is not more crooked than Don King, he's just more stupid and makes it more obvious.

In a fight between one of his Cuban cruiserweights Hernandez and former titleholder Braithwaite, the referee actually helped Hernandez up. Even when he was badly hurt, the ref was reluctant to call it a TKO.

Here it is:

Hernandez vs Braithwaite

Edited by: JD1986

Sean

Mentor
I read that he attacked Klaus Peter Kohl in the past as well. He probably needs to be suspended.

Sean

Mentor
It now appears that the EBU reversed it's initial decision and makes Sinan Samil Sam the new EBU Heavyweight Champion. Ohner was happy justice triumphed in the end
smiley5.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
When Oliver McCall beat Sam he must have beaten him from pillar to post for him to get a decision against a Ohner fighter. There are just way too many shady things coming from this scam artist...
smiley11.gif

Sean

Mentor
shawn1262231 said:
German Boxing Federation strips Oner's license http://www.boxingconfidential.com/articles.php?id=5025

While I am definately glad to hear Ohner finally will be held responsible for his actions, I am now wondering what will happen to his several very good and talented white fighters, including very impressive Heavyweight prospect Steffen Kretchman. I hope that none of his fighters will suffer due to his lack of...sense?