Doughty article

"Everybody's very happy with Reed," executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said. "He really came on and played well. He does a good job [covering] the tight ends. He's physical. He does a real good job on special teams. The coaches are very comfortable with Reed as their safety."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20 080430/SPORTS01/724414936/1023

Basically, he's not in danger of losing the starting job at safety even tho the 'Skins drafted two late round safeties.

backrow

Hall of Famer
here's another one. Reed is pretty much a starting strong safety for the Skins and barring the unexpected he will have a breakout season, imo.

cslewis1

Guru
backrow said:
here's another one. Reed is pretty much a starting strong safety for the Skins and barring the unexpected he will have a breakout season, imo.
HA! Barring the unexpected...like getting a safety with a different skin color to come in and vie for the job in camp. Don't hold your breath waiting for the breakout season. Gotta play to have that, and if the Skins recent past is any indication, this might be an improbability for Doughty.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
He filled in admirably for Washington last year. I don't think the coaching staff could fabricate a legitimate reason to replace him, despite his skin color. He'll do fine.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The Skins actually started 7 whites in their wildcard game against the Seahawks. That's the most since their glory days in the 80s and early 90s.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I think Jason Campbell will no longer be a starter by the 2009 season. Colt Brennen will be the future of this franchise. And yes, as of last season, the Redskins have actually begun to allow white players to participate.

Wait, didnt they make the playoffs in the toughest division in the NFL last season? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the white QB, TE, S, and OL that were starting towards the end of the season. Na, I'm sure it had more to do with the "ghost" of the NFL's newest Saint....the dead millionare criminal Sean Taylor.Edited by: Thrashen

backrow

Hall of Famer
and here's another blurb about Reed, after his first start (he won the job back from Horton)

from washington examiner:

Under the Radar

Safety Reed Doughty was active in his first start of the season, as he's been for the first three games. Doughty's sure tackling helps this defense especially in the open field. He finished with a team-high nine tackles.

everything i've read so far points to him as a great tackler, media was happy with his performance and we know that's a feat for any white safety not named John Lynch!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White defensive backs in particular are reamed by both DWFs and the media when they miss a tackle or an angle. The DWFs simply don't accept that they can be good. Even Eric Weddle has a ways to go to be accepted as a star at his position.

backrow

Hall of Famer
a surprise from rotoworld:

Both Kareem Moore and Reed Doughty saw first-unit snaps at free safety during this weekend's minicamp.

Chris Horton, who is recovering from toe surgery, will be part of the battle as well. Doughty is the most effective of the group and held the starting job down the stretch last season. We'd expect him to win out.
Source: Washington Post
Related: Kareem Moore, Chris Horton

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Doughty had a phenomenal 13 tackles against Houston but the DWFs single him out to blame for the loss to Houston. Someone sent in this discussion thread filled with typical DWF irrational vitriol. One wigger writes: "Can't we, just this one time, post a picture of Reed Doughty and then lock the thread?" Not surprisingly his signature is "I will miss you forever, RIP Sean Taylor." What a country. . .
http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=52067

backrow

Hall of Famer
so many of them picking on Doughty... since when is it solely down to FS to cover receivers.

Yeah, getting rid of your teams best tackler is going to help your defense.. What the hell do they want from the guy, he could have 30 tackles in a game and theyd still want him dead.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I was watching Sportscenter a few hours ago. They had the top ten plays of the week. The #1 play was Andre Johnson's leaping catch over Reed Dought. I don't remember the white buffoons name from Sportscenter but he said that Doughty had no chance and Johnson is too freakishly physical or something like that.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
You missed a part of the wigger's signature Don. "Reed Doughty-helping QBs reach the pro bowl since 2006."
smiley29.gif

It should be: "The Redskins- sucking for 15 years and showing no signs of improving."

Paleocon

Guru
Despite their childish enthusiasm DWFs are surprisingly ignorant about football. First, exactly how many safeties can cover Andre Johnson when cornerbacks are barely able to? Second, Doughty just got out-jumped not burnt. He was where he needed to be and actually managed to pull one of Johnson's arms away from the ball, but Johnson hung on. I've seen Larry Fitzgerald do even worse to black DBs on contested passes, but somehow I doubt those teams' message boards erupted with that level of hate for any of those players.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to the anonymous correspondent who is sending the Doughty updates. Here's a link where a writer defends Doughty, but the knuckle-dragging DWFs are only enraged even more. "Doughty sucks!" is the extent of their intelligence and writing ability: http://www.csnwashington.com/09/20/10/After-Further-Review-Woulda-Coulda-Shoul/landing_v3.html?blockID=314651&feedID=6458

As for the DWF forum I linked to several posts above, here's another one dedicated solely to bashing Doughty. The correspondent writes: Doughty bashing now reaches a fever pitch among DWF's -- 12 pages (and counting) of put downs...around page 3, a few human beings have compassion for him and remind the DWF's that the whole team played bad and he should not be scapegoated alone...One notes Doughty even had the WINNING INT in his hands, but affletic Laron Landry, who was so horrible in coverage at FS in 2009 had to be moved to SS (Reeds natural spot), knocked the ball out of his Reeds hands..

I'll take the correspondent's word for it, as one page of DWF morons, know-nothingsand self-haters was all I could wade through. http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=52066
Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched the second half of the speeded up version of the Houston-Washington game on the NFL Network, keeping an eye on Doughty on every play when the Blackskins were on defense. What I saw was a sure tackler who was near the ball time and again when not actually making plays. By contrast, Washington's other d-backs were mostly AWOL, although during overtime the play by playannouncer breathlesslyproclaimed at one point that the Blackskins' other safety, LaRon Landry, had "played at an All Pro level tonight" after he nearly sacked Matt Schaub on a blitz. There were more than a few plays when Doughty was basically out there by himself with no CBs in sight. He was truly their last line of defense time and again during a game in which Schaub threw for just under 500 yards.

And on Andre Johnson's TD catch to tie the game in the 4th quarter, Doughty made a valiant effort against a taller receiver. Doughty grabbed Johnson's left arm as they came down butJohnson had transferred the ball to his right arm. It was a great play by Johnsonon a great clutch throw bySchaub. Any even semi-rational observer would have blasted the cornerback who was very badly beaten by Johnson on such a crucial play and was nowhere in sight in the endzone during the catch, but of course we're not dealing with rational people when it comes to the national mass psychosisthat exists when it comes toWhite safeties and White football players in general.

This was a very nice comeback win for the Texans and the NFL Network will be showing it more during the week in a condensed format. If you have time, check it out for yourself and see if you can find a single play where Reed Doughty can be singled out for criticism.

I checked out that page it made me want to puke. These guys have no real concept of reality. Even the one defending Doughty said he had a bad game. How the F is your team leading tackler having a bad game? Where's your D line, LBs? Why aren't they making stops? How is the guy making all the stops having a bad game? Redskins fans are so brain fried its absolutely unbelievable. Their view on Doughty is the complete opposite of what he actually is. He was there on every play, yet someone said he got torched all game!

What's funny is that when these idiots say this stuff enough, the other more reasonable members of that forum start to believe it?

As much as its great to see Peyton Hillis getting love in Cleveland, seeing what Redskins fans have to say brings you back to reality!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
That link that Don provided was a nut-hugger's Valhalla. That sort of fan base should be expected from a team that has produced the infamously homosexual "Hogetts."Â￾ How proper for an "adult"Â￾ "white"Â￾ "male"Â￾ to doll themselves up in dresses, wigs, and pig consumes whilst cheerleading for their favorite Negro. The white self-emasculation phenomenon is undoubtedly one of the most perverted occurrences in human history.

The Texans comeback was made possible by the wretched play of the Redskins cornerbacks. Former 1st round bust, DeAngelo Hall (who was given an enormous contract last season) was repeatedly burned. Edited by: Thrashen

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Those remarks about Doughty are pitiful. For a long time I've held the belief that the defensive back position is going to be the toughest nut to crack for White players. The reaction to Johnson's TD catch kind of confirms my suspicions.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see Jim Haslett absolve Doughty of blame on Andre Johnson's endzone catch that tied the game near the end of the 4th quarter, instead pointing the finger where it belongs, at CB Philip Buchanon, who was badly beaten and then gave up. Can you imagine the fallout if a White player had given up on such a crucial play?

Jim Haslett's family still lives in St. Louis, so he's naturally looking forward to the Washington Redskins' trip to the Edward Jones Dome this weekend.

The leader of the defence that sits at the bottom of the NFL could use some of the comforts of home.

"It'll be good to get a chance to see my kids," said Haslett, who spent three seasons with the St. Louis Rams. "And hopefully get a chance to see my dog" â€" a Hungarian Vizsla named Cinnamon.

Haslett said Wednesday he's "open to anything" as the Redskins (1-1) prepare for No. 1 overall draft pick Sam Bradford and the Rams on Sunday. The defensive co-ordinator has heard plenty of frustration this week from his players â€" especially cornerback DeAngelo Hall â€" after they allowed Matt Schaub to throw for 497 yards in a 30-27 overtime loss to the Houston Texans.

"We were totally mad," cornerback Carlos Rogers said. "It was a little bit of everybody. It's different people in different spots that kept giving up the yards. ... We can't have 500-and-some yards. It won't happen again."

On Monday, Hall was so upset he said he would start covering the opposing team's top receiver â€" no matter what Haslett says. Hall quickly backpedalled from that stance and met with the coaches to explain himself, but no one seemed to take serious offence anyway.

"I don't think it was a slight on anybody," safety Reed Doughty said. "I think it was his confidence in himself. If you don't have confidence as a DB in the NFL, then you shouldn't be playing. You hope that Carlos is saying the same thing, and that (Phillip Buchanon) is saying the same thing, so I don't think anybody is insulted that he thinks that nobody else did a good enough job. If you're a corner and you want to be on their receiver with the least amount of catches, you're probably in the wrong business."

But maybe Hall has a point; it seems that the top cornerback should be taking on the top receiver as often as possible.

Hall's complaint stemmed from one huge play late in the fourth quarter, when Houston's Andre Johnson got past Buchanon and then outleaped free safety Doughty in the end zone to snag a fourth-and-10 touchdown pass that sent the game into overtime.

Haslett pointed out that the Redskins would have had Johnson covered on that play â€" if Buchanon hadn't given up when Schaub started scrambling.

"We had two guys on him, all right?" Haslett said. "It just happened that one guy thought the play was over, and he didn't finish the play. We had a guy in front of him and a guy behind him. It's a shame he got the play, but we should have had two guys on him."
full article: http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jQ0VIEUr0HgBe3FBLspoheyLMk-Q Edited by: Don Wassall

It's good to see Jim Haslett say this but this is the obvious conclusion from the game. Many fans are idiots, or just ignorant. They have no idea whats going on during the game, all they go by is wrongful intuition that if a defense gave up a lot of yards it must be the white safety's fault. A fan of a dark black team will assume that blacks are more athletic, and that something must have gone terribly wrong that a white guy is even playing safety, OR that they are playing the white guy out of pity since his is such a nice and unselfish guy that everyone likes. This is the only explanation of the behavior of idiotic Redskins fans that somehow out of their fading minds concluded that Doughty got torched all game and single-handedly lost it for the team.