Colin McCarthy, LB

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think he deserves his own thread after his great break-out! too bad he is competing with Ruud and not some scrub.

Colin McCarthy - LB - Titans

Titans MLB Colin McCarthy recorded a team-high nine tackles and recovered two fumbles in Sunday's win over the Bills.

McCarthy continues to be wildly impressive in place of Barrett Ruud (groin). Over the last four weeks, the rookie has 37 tackles, an interception, two passes defensed and the two fumble recoveries. He's threatening to "Pipp" Ruud.
Related: Barrett Ruud

Source: Nashville Tennessean
Dec 5 - 9:48 AM

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
i think he deserves his own thread after his great break-out! too bad he is competing with Ruud and not some scrub.

Colin McCarthy - LB - Titans

Titans MLB Colin McCarthy recorded a team-high nine tackles and recovered two fumbles in Sunday's win over the Bills.

McCarthy continues to be wildly impressive in place of Barrett Ruud (groin). Over the last four weeks, the rookie has 37 tackles, an interception, two passes defensed and the two fumble recoveries. He's threatening to "Pipp" Ruud.
Related: Barrett Ruud

Dec 5 - 9:48 AM

Instances where a black replacement player is "wildly impressive" they always seem to find a way to "get both of these outstanding players on the field at the same time", like when Bart Scott played well in replacing Ray Lewis. I wonder if the same metric applies here? McCarthy, I think, would play the SAM or WILL 'backer position better than the immortal Will Witherspoon or the amazing Akeem Ayers.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i was thinking the exact same same thing, with exact same example, FD!

and i fully agree, they both need to play. and so does Karl Klug.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McCarthy might be better off letting his high ankle sprain heal more rather than playing through it as he's been doing the past two weeks. He's a warrior and will do anything to be on the field, but he hasn't been the tackling machine he was last season yet. Hopefully the pain will continue to subside over time.

Injury report: McCarthy in boot, Locker limited

Posted on October 17, 2012 by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean

Titans linebacker Colin McCarthy (ankle) didn’t practice on Wednesday and was back in a walking boot. But coach Mike Munchak said he still expects McCarthy to practice later in the week and play on Sunday in Buffalo.

McCarthy suffered a high right ankle sprain in the season opener on Sept. 9 and missed three games.

“When he is out here, the (boot) gives him more support,” Munchak said. “It is going to take a while to get over this to where he can actually practice the full week. We are hoping by Friday he is out there practicing and playing on Sunday. We still feel good about him.”

Defensive tackle Jurrell Casey (shoulder) and linebacker Zach Brown (illness) also sat out practice, but Munchak said he expected them to be available later in the week.

Cornerback Tommie Campbell (ankle) and running back Javon Ringer (knee) won’t play against the Bills. Neither will quarterback Jake Locker (non-throwing shoulder) even though he practiced on a limited basis Wednesday.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2012/10/17/titans-injury-report-includes-colin-mccarthy-in-boot/

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McCarthy is paying the price for being constantly injured:

Coach Mike Munchak confirmed Sunday that Moise Fokou has won the Titans' starting middle linebacker job over Colin McCarthy. On McCarthy's only practice of training camp, he pulled his hamstring. He has not returned, while Fokou has handled starting reps since OTAs. "I don't know what's gonna go on with Colin," Munchak said. "Right now, (Fokou) would be our starter. I don't know if Colin will be practicing this week, and next week. ... (Fokou) is the best linebacker that's lined up and practiced everyday."

backrow

Hall of Famer
if he actually doesn't become a starter... well, i wouldn't be surprised, i mean after all there's a staggering double standard out there. stay healthy and prove them wrong, man!

Titans coach Mike Munchak expects Colin McCarthy to be limited to a reserve linebacker role and special teams this season.

McCarthy was a starter and team captain in 2012, but fell behind Moise Fokou in training camp due to a hamstring injury. "He has to work his way back to where we feel he can do all the things he needs to do on an everyday basis," Munchak said. "Right now he is not where he needs to be to be an every down guy." The Titans have "no plans" to replace Fokou any time soon. Even when he gets fully healthy, McCarthy isn't expected to regain his starting job.
Related: Moise Fokou

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tackling machine McCarthy being benched for journeyman Moise Fokou has been one of the biggest outrages of the current season. But now Fokou is out for at least this week with a knee injury and McCarthy will start against the 49ers. Hopefully he's 100% healthy and has an impact game.

From KFFL: Tennessee Titans LB Colin McCarthy is expected to start in Week 7 against the San Francisco 49ers with LB Moise Fokou (knee) ruled out.

Fantasy Tip: McCarthy is worth a look in fantasy leagues which use individual defensive players (IDPs), if you need a replacement for Fokou, or your primary option is on a bye. McCarthy could rack up plenty of tackles against the 49ers trying to corral QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Frank Gore and even TE Vernon Davis across the middle.

dwid

Hall of Famer
damn I need to pay more attention, I thought this whole time he wasn't starting because of injury, not because of some non White. Colin is too good to bench. I can think of a pronunciation for the guy who took his spots name for the attitude the team has towards Colin.

backrow

Hall of Famer

well, that figures...

The Titans expect MLB Moise Fokou (knee) to return next week.

Fokou has been out since Week 6 due to his knee injury, but returned to practice on a limited basis this week. He was playing on 97.6 percent of Tennessee's defensive snaps prior to going down and will immediately regain his starting job from Colin McCarthy when healthy.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
McCarthy has retired. He was really good when healthy but his injuries caught up to him.