CF Brett Gardner

sunshine

Mentor
Gardner has been named starting CF for the Yankees. His success would go a long way in puncturing the same ole since he plays for most high profile team in USA sports. Gardner is probably the fastest player in MLB and well that means he is likely the fastest athlete playing major league sports of any variety.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Always good to see a white athlete succeed. Shortstop and center field have quickly become baseball's versions of "Caste positions", akin to RB, CB, etc. in the NFL. When players like Gardner get in, it shows that stereotypes certainly exist in baseball based on positions.

Gardner is quite fast.

RBNY123

I'm watching the game rite now i continue to hear about the speed an athleticism of the cubs lead off hitter joey garthright, they even took the time to play a clip if him jumping over a car. What the commentators have failed to do and not surprisingly is really say anything about brett gardner and his speed, not to mention he is a good 2 or 3 years younger than garthright so he has tremendous upside.

RBNY123

"Gardner is probably the fastest player in MLB and well that means he is likely the fastest athlete playing major league sports of any variety."
This is the only thing i disagree with you about sunshine, he may be the fastest athlete in MLB but htat definetly doesn't make him the fastest athlete playing a major league sport, the elite speedsters in soccer and football are faster than the elite of baseball but i will say it is close.

sunshine

Mentor
Do not agree with that at all. The elite in soccer and football faster than baseball????--whoa---where is the evidence. I do know that baseball scouts will tell you that football players are generally too stiff for baseball this is a fact-- ----and the elite quickness and speed in baseball speedsters is out of this world. Michael Jordan considered the greatest basketball athlete of all time was considered a bit slow on his first step by baseball scouts. Some elite sprinters in Track were originally baseball players. Sorry but I believe the fastest athletes in general are playing baseball and Gardner can f'n fly my man--he would toast NFL CB's without a shadow of a doubt. Have you seen Gardner run?

RBNY123

you can't use micheal jordan to validate your claim because i never said the elite of the nba are faster than the elite of baseball, i said foot ball and soccer. obviously a 6 foot 6ish tall man is not going to be as fast as brett gardner.
Yeah i've seen gardner run, i'm a yankees fan i watched the game last night. I'm not saying he isn't amazingly quick or anything like that but i know for a fact that there are loads of soccer players that could have done track such as aaron lennon to name one.
When you look at baseball compared to let's say soccer, there are alot more soccer players that are physically better runners just about every player is a great runner in soccer, so since that is the case there is a greater chance of there being faster runners.
Let's take CC sabathia for an example or even ryan howard. Now neither of them are going to beat anyone in a race yet they dominate their sport. The athletes in soccer that dominate the sport are always lighting quick, i think the sport calls for more athletes that are suited for this, they may not be able to hit a baseball 500 feet but they can run.
Cristiano ronaldo runs reportadly can run a 10.3, 10.2 100 i really doubt any baseball player can match that maybe gardner but other than that i highly doubt.
I'm not trying to say baseball players aren't great athletes i give them alot of credit but i don't think they are as good at running or as fast as soccer players, football players i may give to you or even say it is dead even.

sunshine

Mentor
For sure there are very fast soccer players---and many baseball players are
slow. I agree. But keep in mind baseball players can be truly super fast.
Ronaldo vs. Micky Mantle--I would put my money on Mantle. Chad Green a
career minor leaguer a few years back when experts saw him run they saw
an olympic sprinter. The bottom line for me is a baseball eliter runner can
match other sports and perhaps surpass in more than a few cases. But yes
elite speedsters in soccer have sprinting speed too. Dave Sim the olympic
siver medel winner in 110 M 1964 olympics was primarily a baseball player
as one example.

RBNY123

ok sunshine ill agree to disagree maybe their neck and neck anyway brain gardner is nasty.

sunshine

Mentor
You threw me off guard RBNY when you brought up international soccer--must admit I was not thinking of that sport when I mentioned Major league sports--had in mind football and basketball and because the media is so enamored with the black"athletes" of those sports they overlook the speed element of a lot of white baseball players. Yeh those soccer players can run.

j41181

Master
What's all this nonsense of base ballers (especially whites) no being able to run? If they can't run, then you have games ending in 0-0. Why, many games in soccer end in 0-0! Yes, soccer players can indeed run.
smiley36.gif

This Gardner dude is really fast, I hope he can keep doing it for several years.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: j41181

RBNY123

if he starts hitting a little better he should be a mainstay in the lineup that would be great, ransom isn't to shabby either did anyone see his 61 inch box jump

sunshine

Mentor
Gardner just missed two consecutive inside the park home runs last night. He tripped going over first and still ended up with a standup triple.

Im hope girardi will just let brett be a starter. i dont want him in a platoon where he wont get to show off his speed on a daily basis

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I know Brett Gardner has alot of fans here at CF so I figured I'd post this nice article.

"Through the season's first month, Gardner grew from a luxury -- a good fourth outfielder who could provide speed and defense off the bench -- into an invaluable facet of the American League's second-highest-scoring offense.

He is among the league's top 10 in batting average, on-base percentage and runs scored. That's in addition to being one steal off the league lead in stolen bases, with 11, even though he has significantly fewer plate appearances than the other players atop the list."

Gardner getting a chance to flex his muscleEdited by: Freethinker

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Gardner's on my Fantasy team and is just fueling my offense at this point. He went undrafted through 24 rounds, and I picked him up in the 25th. His numbers so far this season:

.346 average
21 runs scored
12 stolen bases (caught just once)

He was originally "platooning" with a washed-up Randy Winn and a nearly immobile Marcus Thames in left field, but is now starting full-time in center due to Granderson's injury. His number should solidify him as the starter in left when Granderson comes back.

Of course, I would leave him in center as he is a terrific fielder with unbelievable speed. But we all know how white center fielders get treated these days.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Good post PhillyBirds.

Even the media here in NYC admits that Gardner is the better defensive center fielder than Granderson. However, with Granderson being the established veteran and the big name acquisition for the Yanks it was tough for Girardi to move him to LF.

I think this is a great opportunity for the Yanks to move Granderson to left when he returns from the groin injury. They can say they are easing him back. Plus Granderson is a humble guy and a team player. He would except the move I'd bet. Brett would be a top 3 defensive CFer and Curtis would be a top 3 defensive LFer (similar to Carl Crawford). A win-win.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Agreed. I heard Joe Girardi during Spring Training mention that he would like to occasionally flip the two, giving some playing time in center to Brett and left for Curtis.

You're right, they both have great speed, and probably make more sense with Brett in the middle. Granderson's power numbers but low batting average also make him seem like more of a "prototypical" left fielder than Gardner anyway.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Gardner has 42 SBs as the season heads into its final week, and has played outstanding all-around baseball this year.

I hope he can have a top-notch postseason and show off his skills to everyone.

Ladyfiaran

I love Gardner, the dude can run. The other night against Toronto he bunted and he beat it out for a hit, and in the first game of today's doubleheader he stole two bases
smiley16.gif
It sucks that Girardi bats him most of the time in eight or ninth place, he ought to be a leadoff hitter, but he might have to work on his hitting a bit. It's such a joy to see this kid run hard and steal bases, too bad the media always hype up black base stealers, this kid is something else

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Brett Gardner, playing left field this season, finished with the highest UZR in baseball for the 2010 season. UZR is a stat created by baseball nerds which "represents the value of a fielder's performance expressed as runs saved or cost, in comparison to an average fielder (actually in comparison to the mean performance of all fielders) at that position, in that player's league, and during that particular year." In laymen terms, best defensive player.

Congrats to Brett on this impressive feat. Hopefully this will land him the Golden Glove but I wouldn't hold my breath as the voting for that is biased towards higher profile players.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Brett Gardner is a rarity in baseball. He's a Yankees player that is actually underrated. Even on this site, he doesn't get mentioned very much. Let me give him some well deserved praise in the middle of his best season as a pro.

Since the start of July, the usually fleet-footed lead-off hitter has blasted an uncanny 8 home runs. 8 homers is his previous season high. In addition to the power, Gardner has provided stellar defense in left field, great base running and all around good hitting at the top of the lineup. It reflects as he's now up to 5th in the AL in WAR (win's above replacement level) behind only Mike Trout, Josh Donaldson, Michael Brantley and Kyle Seager. His WAR is 4.4 at the moment.

The rest of his stats are as follows:
.286 BA
.363 OPB
115 hits
71 runs
6 triples
15 home runs
50 runs batted in (impressive for a lead-off hitter)
18 stolen bases (only caught 4 times)

Gardner will be 31 later this month but seems to be peaking this season. More evidence that Whites take longer to mature but are worth the wait and provide longevity til they hit middle age.

PS - it was nice to see the Yanks beat the Tigers last night in a caste match-up. The Yanks have quietly become Whiter starting only 2 or 3 non-Whites on a regular night: Jeter, Beltran and Prado (though he could be viewed as a "White Hispanic"). The bullpen other than Betances is all-White and the rotation has become White due to injury: McCarthy, Greene, Phelps and Capuano.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Brett Gardner is a rarity in baseball. He's a Yankees player that is actually underrated. Even on this site, he doesn't get mentioned very much. Let me give him some well deserved praise in the middle of he's best season as a pro.

Since the start of July, the usually fleet-footed lead-off hitter has blasted an uncanny 8 home runs. 8 homers is his previous season high. I addition to the power, Gardner has provided stellar defense in left field, great base running and all around good hitting at the top of the lineup. It reflects as he's now up to 5th in the AL in WAR (win's about replacement level) behind only Mike Trout, Josh Donaldson, Michael Brantley and Kyle Seager. His WAR is 4.4 at the moment.

The rest of his stats are as follows:
.286 BA
.363 OPB
115 hits
71 runs
6 triples
15 home runs
50 runs batted in (impressive for a lead-off hitter)
18 stolen bases (only caught 4 times)

Gardner will be 31 later this month but seems to be peaking this season. More evidence that Whites take longer to mature but are worth the wait and provide longevity til they hit middle age.

PS - it was nice to see the Yanks beat the Tigers last night in a caste match-up. The Yanks have quietly become Whiter starting only 2 or 3 non-Whites on a regular night: Jeter, Beltran and Prado (though he could be viewed as a "White Hispanic"). The bullpen other than Betances is all-White and the rotation has become White due to injury: McCarthy, Greene, Phelps and Capuano.

Nice post Freethinker. I looked up Gardner's career stats where he led the league in triples(10), in 2013 and SB's(49) in 2011. He also has an 81% success rate in stealing bases for his career, 179/221. Amazing! I guess another example in how slow white players are.:laugh:

There a lot of underrated white players out there that shouldn't be underrated. Thanks for the post.