Brian finneran

Kaptain

Master
I watched the Atlanta Falcons for the first time this season. Wasn't finneran the top reciever on the team a year or two ago? I haven't looked it up yet. He was barely on the field at all. He has similar size and speed to Drew Bennett. He's behind peerliss price? and the other reciever I can't even name. Vick sucks and it really shows without finneran on the field.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He was their top receiver one year, to theirs and everyone else's great embarrassment. Atlanta has spent the past two offseasons bringing in such losers as Peerless Price and Dez White to replace Finneran. After all, went the reasoning, any team that had Finneran as its leading receiver must be suffering from a tragic lack of talent at the position. The real problem of course is that the Falcons passing game is run by St. Michael.

IceSpeed

Guru
Finneran is one of the best receivers when it comes to getting open in
the endzone. Isn't getting open in the endzone the most important
thing in the game for a WR. He should be the falcons #1 receiver.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Finneran is one of my favorite recievers and scored a key touchdown in last weeks victory over Carolina. He should be the #1 reciever in Atlanta. Price is a #2 guy at best, and behind him should be the rookie Jenkins. Dez White is a scrub, who'd be better off in the Arena league, rather than stinking up the field in the NFL

horsehockles

The only thing keeping the Falcons from a winless season is there defense.... Which has a good core of white players.

nj816

It is beyond me how Brian Finneran doesn't start over Dez White. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better receivers in the NFL then Finneran, but certainly not Dez White . If White's pigmentation matched his last name he be selling insurance.

While we're on the the subject of the Falcons, are there two more overhyped players in the NFL on the same team then " King Vick" and Peerless Price. Price was a total product of the media but of course Finneran took the blame Price's first season as Atlanta apparently lacked a quality #2 receiver to take the pressure off Price. But once Michael Jenkins got there last year, all of a sudden Price apparently wasn't as great as originally thought by the media. What a " double-standard"!!!!

Let me give you the local report on Mr. Finneran: He is the best
receiver on the team, without question. His ability to "go up and
get it" makes Scattershot Vick's lousy completion percentage appear a
bit less lousy. Finneran is tall and jumps like a rabbit but
nobody in the organization can seem to get past the fact that he's
White.

But here's the thing that get's me: Finneran is a super-nice guy, even
to the point that he seems happy just to be on the roster when, in
reality -- based on his production -- he should be bitchin' up a storm
about his limited role in the offense. Any black player treated
in this manner would be flapping his bluegums non-stop about the lack
of "respeck" and "luv" he's getting from the team.

That being said, Finneran is probably the most popular player among the
fans because of his charitable works and his down-to-earth
demeanor. I just wish he'd tell Jim Mora and Co. to "get me the
damn BALL!"

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Southern Knight wrote on another thread:
My apologies to anyone who finds entertainment in fantasy football, but in my humble opinion FF is for self-hating jock-sniffers and closet homosexuals, because it is about the idolization of the players themselves, wholly outside of any team concept or out of an appreciation for the sport itself. And before you disagree with my comment, just think about how many times you hear guys saying "So-And-So is a complete STUD!" Men don't talk that way. Ever. And real men don't play fantasy football.

Hey Knight! You're not saying Finneran is a STUD are ya???
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Kaptain

Master
I was wondering too strange it was that Finneran is behind ANY of the Falcon recievers. He is clearly better than any of them. Is Drew Bennett the only starting white WR?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's been mentionedon the boardbefore, but Finneran's career yards per reception average is 14.9, comparable to many of the best "deep threat" "big play" receivers in the NFL. Remember that when you hear announcers talk about Finneran. He is never portrayed as anything but a lumbering possession receiver.

I was watching the NFL Network's live feeds of exhibition games last week when Finneran made a catch, then immediately moved the opposite direction from where he figured the defender was coming from, successfully eluding him and making a nice gain. No big deal, right? The white play-by-play announcer acted like he was astounded: "FINNERAN DOES A SPIN-O-RAMA AND JUKES A DEFENDER!! THEY'LL BE KIDDING HIM ABOUT THAT PLAY AFTER THE GAME!! BRIAN FINNERAN!"

Has there been a white receiver in the last 20 years-- or white player at any position other than QB except for avery few-- who can't rightfully claim Rodney Dangerfield status?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Finneran, the always disparaged white receiver who is alleged to pale in comparison in the talent department to the Falcons' revolving door of black receivers (pun intended), was Mr. Reliable again today. He led the team with 5 receptions and caught Vick's only touchdown pass. How does this overachiever continue to do it? Mystifying isn't it?
smiley2.gif

Don writes: "How does this overachiever continue to do it? Mystifying isn't it?"

He's only able to do it because (pick one): (a) His motor never stops,
(b) He's the hardest working guy on the team, (3) His commitment to the
game is second to none, or (4) He's the smartest guy on the field.

Finneran should be a superstar, and probably would be if he had a real
quarterback. Still, it's downright excruciating to watch the
Fal-coons coaching staff hem-and-haw about the need for more offense
when it is they that choose to limit Finneran to the 3rd down
sets. The Falcons' local color-commentator, Dave Archer (himself
a former 'Coons QB) openly questioned the coaching staff's use of
Finneran during Sunday's game at Seattle. Let's face it, a
spray-shot like Vick NEEDS a 6'5" receiver who can adjust to the ball.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Spray shot like Vick! Ha! Good one SK! You're correct too.

Kaptain

Master
Atlanta's starting number 2 reciever, Dez White, will be out with an injury next Sunday. The teams most productive reciever this year and the past couple of years, Brian Finneran will of course replace him in the starting line-up.

Wait a minute! What the hell was I thinking?- this is the NFL (Negreo Football League). Dez White will be replaced by unproven ROOKIE SHARROD WHITE! And the song remains the same.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Can the discrimination get any worse?I'll bet Vick doesn't even talk to the guy.If I were Finneran,I would have left Atlanta a long time ago.How many years does he have left on his contract?Get out while you can before you waste the rest of your career.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"If White, injured in the game with Seattle, cannot play, Finneran, who shares the team lead in receptions (7) with tight end Alge Crumpler, would start opposite flanker Michael Jenkins, Mora said. Rookie wide receiver Roddy White is expected to see significant playing time, Mora added."

JoeV

Guru
Roddy White is a first round draft pick, so they might be seeing what they got. But Finneran is oodles better than Dez White, and comparable to if not better than Jenkins.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Finneran should be starting, even if they do give the rookie some reps. Sometimes, I wish alll the black guys would get hurt that way they'd have to play all their white players. Trouble is, so many teams now have so few whites, I don't know what difference it would make.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
This from ESPN Insider:

Team observers in Atlanta have said that the coaching staff is concerned by how little production it has gotten from young WRs Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. But head coach Jim Mora and other members of the front office are reluctant to verbalize their displeasure too much for fear of ruining the young receivers' confidence.

They don't seem too worried about Finneran's confidence, though, do they? Consistently starting guys like these two instead of him?

Let's coddle these young black WR so as to not destroy their confidence. What happened to all that black "bad-ass-as-it-gets throw-me-the-damn-ball" machismo?
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot of truth in what you write, WS. It's like everything possible has been done to ruin Finnerans' confidence except attach electrodes to his frontal lobe, but the young black prima donnas must be treated in a whole different manner, solely because of their race.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Finneran was responsible for more than a third of the total passing yards on the Falcons offense today.

Then again, the Falcons only gained 88 yards total through the air.
smiley5.gif

Kaptain

Master
Well Finneran has again been benched because the great Dez White has returned to the line-up. Finneran leads the Falcons in receptions while Dez White only has 1! Makes you wonder what it would take for Finneran to ever get the starting role. Maybe he should take a cue from Al Jolson. Read the quote from coach Mora below:

Falcons head coach Jim Mora announced Monday that Dez White will start at wide receiver when he returns from a hamstring injury that has sidelined him for two weeks. "You don't lose your job around here because of an injury," Mora told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. White has one reception for 11 yards in two games this season

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Second stringer is the leading Falcon's receiver right now, and has one catch that went for 53 yards.

Although I like the Patriots, I'd like to see Atlanta win this one with Schaub leading the team. One can only hope that someone else winning a game for the Falcons might put a chink in Vick's media-armor. Edited by: White Shogun

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Finneran had his usual great game and even tied it with a great two point conversion catch in the end zone.Matt Schaub is so much better than Vick.It's not even close.Matt can throw for 300 yards with ease even against a Super Bowl Champion.Vick is just horrible and always will be.He just is not cut out to be a qb.Off course he will never be benched,he is King Vick.Well this is one guy who thinks he should be dethroned.It's really good to see Finneran quietly having a good year.