Billy Volek

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have to start a thread on this kid.He is amazing.We just might have another P.Manning on our hands.Two weeks
in a row with over 400 yards.Today Billy threw for a
amazing 492 yards and 4 touchdowns.Those are Hall of Fame
Numbers! This kid will lead the Titans for years to come.
That is if they don't go back to McNair next year.Steve
did a good job at qb for the most part but anyone can see
that Volek is the future and the future is now!What a combo from Volek to Bennett!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A pretty much totally unknown and unheralded white backup steps in and immediately the passing game improves immeasurably, including one previously run by a quarterback generally acknowledged to be the best all-around black QB since Warren Moon.

Bennett took the blame for the Titans offensive woes but guess where the problem lies? It's like all those who blamed Brian Finneran for Vick's woes.

I respect McNair, he was always interested in winning not in stats, but here's hoping he retires and Bennett and Volek become superstars.

cxt7

Guru
I agree with you about billy volek, I have seen him play in preseason a couple of times and he looked outstanding, and have always said if he gets a chance to play he could be great. The problem he is facing is that he signed a multi-year contract and I don't see mcnair calling it quits just yet. I don't think mcnair will quit because of the way the season has gone.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like McNair is recovering well from his surgery and according to Jeff Fisher isn't thinking about retiring now.

But the Titans are way over the salary cap for next season. They are in the worst shape of any franchise in that area. An article by Scouts Inc. for ESPN Insider lists the players most likely to leave Tennessee for cap reasons and they're all black -- McNair, WR Derrick Mason, DE Kevin Carter, OTs Brad Hopkins and Fred Miller, CB Samari Rolle, and S Lance Schulters. Many of these guys are up in years and are way overpaid.

If McNair and/or Mason goes it leaves Drew Bennett as the clear go-to guy. The Titans will probably go with young players and rebuild after last year's fall from the elite teams. When you look at all the young white players they've drafted the past couple years, not only on offense but defense as well, it's possible we could be looking at the overall whitest NFL team in quite a while in '05.

Bismarck

Let us all hope volek gets the starting job.If steve leaves out its his to lose,but i dont know how he could.

kevin

Guru
another person who is going to help this offense is their new offensive coordinator Norm Chow. He has done an excellant job with the USC offense the last few years. he is one of my favorites. Drew Bennet is the type of reciever he like to have in his arsanal too. Bennett has good speed and size and run excalant routes. i look for bennett to put up great numbers next season.

speedster

Mentor
I got this quote out of Pro Football Weekly from Drew Bennett.He was up for some sort of award during Super Bowl week,it was called the Snickers hungry man of the year award? Anyways he said that he feels Steve McNair won't retire and why should he because he feels he has plenty left in his tank.I'm not sure if Drew Bennett is being PC or not,because he's got to know without Billy Volek starting Drew will not see the ball near as much.But then again what do you expect him to say,that he wants Steve gone.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Drew is in a tight spot there. I think McNair is the best black QB of all time. That being said, I don't think he has much left. Volek will take over and Drew will be doing even better than he did this year. I think McNair can retire having done some good things, but his time is past, even if he plays another year.

The problem here is that black quarterbacks aren't treated the same as white ones. White QBs are benched much faster, waived easier, and eased into retirement differently. Because McNair has been the rare black quarterback to succeed, if he keeps playing, which looks very likely, he will remain the starter for years to come even if Volek is much more talented. McNair has actually favored white receivers if anything, TE Frank Wychek being his traditional favorite target before he retired, but Volek is obviously much better at getting the ball to a stud like Bennett.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
True rightwinger, and I understand that completely. With McNair, he wasn't as heralded as most new black qb's or the (class of 99)were, but he is getting too much time to retire. He should hang up them cleats and go take it easy for a while. If his coach had any guys, he'd bench him into retirement, but I won't hold my breath.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That link wouldn't open for me, but if Mason is gone, that would be great for Bennett and football in general. I predict that if he is made primary reciever, and Volek plays much at all next year, Drew will be the leading reciever in the NFL! I hope these two things happen so that the third will too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well let's try it this way. Here's an AP story: (notice the attack it contains on Drew Bennett)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Titans apparently have decided to cut their way back under the NFL's salary cap in moves that will result in their most tumultuous offseason since relocating to Tennessee in 1997.

The Titans must trim approximately $27 million from their payroll before the March 2 deadline, and The Tennessean reported Sunday that team officials have decided to cut six key veterans in an announcement that could come as early as Monday.

The players include Derrick Mason, who led all NFL receivers last season with a career-high 96 catches; defensive lineman Kevin Carter; cornerback Samari Rolle; right tackle Fred Miller; fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney.

A Titans spokesman said Sunday that the team had nothing planned.

But the NFL scouting combine begins Wednesday in Indianapolis and runs through March 1 -- the day NFL teams must be below a cap expected to be $86 million.

The Titans also are trying to restructure contracts with a handful of other players, most notably quarterback Steve McNair who has yet to announce if he will return for the 2005 season or retire. The team also will not exercise options on either tight end Shad Meier or reserve receiver Eddie Berlin.

Neither agent Harold Lewis, who represents both Carter and Miller, nor Lamont Smith, who represents Mason and Rolle, immediately returned telephone messages left by The Associated Press on Sunday.

But Miller, a nine-year veteran who started at right tackle the last five seasons for the Titans, had not heard anything on Sunday afternoon. His cap figure is $9.32 million for 2005.

"I know my agent has talked with them about possibly working something out," Miller said.

Cutting Mason would hurt the Titans the most. The eight-year veteran is the first player in franchise history with four consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons. He had 1,168 yards and seven touchdowns in 2004, but he is due a $1.5 million roster bonus with a base salary of $3.2 million.

That would leave the Titans very bare at receiver. They hold the No. 6 pick overall in the April draft, but Drew Bennett was inconsistent last season before an outstanding run in December. Promising Tyrone Calico missed 15 games with knee injuries last year.

Carter has a team-high salary cap figure of $13.97 million including a $6.75 million salary for 2005. He was the veteran on a very young defensive line last season in which he played both end and tackle while mentoring the Titans' five draft picks.

Rolle has been considered among the NFL's top cover cornerbacks, but he was arrested last week on a domestic assault charge. A Pro Bowler in 2000, he played in 12 games last season before having surgery on his left knee, and he had only one interception and 28 tackles.

Holcombe's roster spot has been in jeopardy since the Titans drafted Troy Fleming last April, and Fleming had better numbers rushing and catching.

Nedney has missed all but one half of the past two seasons with a torn ACL, then a torn hamstring. He is set for $1.4 million in salary, but the Titans have worked out six kickers already this offseason.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bennett wasn't "inconsistent," the problem was McNair was throwing the ball rather than Volek.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
How can you say a reciever who has over 1,000 yards recieving is inconsistent? I think it's a good move for them to get rid of Mason. I just hope they keep Gary Anderson, so he can break George Blanda's record for age in the NFL, he'd have to play into 3 more seasons to do it though.

Its mindboggling Volek isn't starting...McNair WAS good 2 yrs ago...no he sucks and is injured all the time...they have better chances of winning with Volek....did you see the way Volek and Bennett connect? Its Young to Rice all over again.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Drew Rosenhaus is shopping around to get Volek a starting QB job somewhere. The Titans are not a party to this; Rosenhaus just says that if he finds the right offer, he's sure the Titans would be amenable.

Personally, I hope he stays with Tenn. McNair isn't going to be around much longer and Volek will be the starter there anyway. Unless of course they bring in another speedy, athletic, black QB to try out.
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Barely there McNair!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As we like to do here, reverse the racial dynamics and it's easy to see why Volek wants togo somewhere else to get the chance to start. If a young black gunslinger had beencompleting passesall over the field and scoring almost at will with a black version of Drew Bennett, while a veteran white quarterback played through anotherseason of injuries while looking not much better than a shell of his former self, at the very least there would be a quarterback controversy and the veteran white QB would be on a very short leash. But once a black quarterback establishes himself, he is essentially annointed starter for life and it takes years and years of poor production to get him out of there.

McNair may retire soon, but he is only 32, just three years older than Peyton Manning. If his health improves, he could be entrenched as the starter for another half dozen years in Tennessee. It's hard to blame Volek for wanting out after the way he played in 2004.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The writing is on the wall.

Volek needs to move to a different team. The Titans are projected to draft Vince Young with the 3rd pick in the draft, so he can be "mentored" by McNair.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's still a long way between now and the draft. Every year the projections change quite a bit, especially ones made this early on. The Titans havemade a considerable change in direction the past few years, by patiently developing Drew Bennett and having more young white defensive players than any NFL team in a long time. It would be a shame if they continue to stick with McNair, who is obviously a backup at this stage of his career, and then replace him with Vince Young.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope this doesn't happen either, and I sort of doubt it will. Maybe Volek will get the starting nod next year. McNair was a decent QB, but it is time for him to retire and the Titans to become the white powerhouse of the NFL!

whiteCB

Master
Yeah Bennett and Volek have an unbelieveable chemistry and that would be a shame to waste next year by getting rid of Volek or keeping McNair. MvNair is nothing more than a good back up these days. His prime is behind him.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Funny, all the media pundits call for Brett Favre to retire, but the only people I hear calling for McNair's retirement are those of us on this site. Although I admit McNair had a better year than Favre.