Are you donating to charity this season?

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
For the past three years, I've been donating a sizable sum (to me, anyway, considering my middle class income) to local charities during the Christmas season. I've also volunteered at the downtown mission.

Not this year.

Every year, I've notice that the people coming to charity giveaways in Los Angeles have to an overwhelming degree been illegal immigrants.

Fat. Carrying iPods. Cellphones. Rolling up in new SUVs.

Disrespectful, greedy, and selfish.

These are not the people I want to help. Not because they're not white, not because they're even illegal -- but because they're not needy, and not thankful, and don't give a flying _ _ _ _ about the holiday season.

They're there to cash in on some freebies.

This year, my wife and I are going to just give small amounts of cash to needy families directly from our church -- anonymously of course, but the money will be mailed straight to their residences.

No more of this meals to the needy crud where all the needy people have nicer cars than me and are carrying the latest iPods and their fatso kids all have video games in their chubby little hands.

It sure makes the holiday seem bitter.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
That's upsetting, Giovani. My family has always donated to charities, and I had no idea this was the sort of situation that pans out.

If anyone needs ideas, try donating directly to organizations. My family gave to the Fraternal Order of Police, hospital hospice care, something that actually helps people in dire need.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I give to causes when I know where the money is going and approve of it, no matter the time of year. I agree that many "help the needy" efforts around Christmas end up going to people who need things less than myself, so I don't give to those anymore.

I give money to the American air museum in Britain. It is on of the few charities that I am certain do not give money to moslems.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I give just to my church and other Christian charities around the small town I live in. Screw groups like the United Way, I have no trust in large national charities like that. I read that Planned Parenthood is selling gift certificates in shopping malls now, is there a better Christmas gift than to buy someone a abortion over the holidays.
smiley11.gif
Charity begins at home and with those around you in your community.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
We tithe to Church, and I give to the BSA, the Gideons & a few local charities year round. For Christmas, I try to shell out some to Toys for Tots.