Allan Wells Sprint Academy

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Fprmer 100 meters Olympic Gold Medalist,Allan Wells is trying to get kids in Scotland back into sprinting.He has started an academy and they look forward to producing some future champions hopefully.This is great news as these smaller countries need all of the help that they can get.Way to go Allan.Here is the link.

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=862432007

devans

Mentor
A little background on Alan Wells, for our younger visitors...
Born in Edinburgh, Wells was initially a triple jumper and long jumper and started to concentrate on the sprint events in the early 1970s.

Wells big breakthrough came at the start of the 1978 season when his times and victories began to indicate he may be a force to be reckoned with . It had been many years since a British sprinter had made any impresssion on the International scene and the sight of the powerful Scot taking on and beating top class competition was a major surprise for British Athletics fans . In August 1978, he won two gold medals (200 m, 4 x 100 m) and a silver one (100 m) for Scotland at the Commonwealth Games, and became the fastest sprinter in the UK.

Wells never used the starting blocks until a rule change forced him to do so for the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games. Wells reached the final where he faced pre-race favourite Silvio Leonard of Cuba. In a close finish, both Wells and Leonard set a final time of 10.25 s, but Wells crossed the line slightly earlier to become the oldest Olympic 100 m champion at that time. The 200 m final was another close affair, but this time Wells lost to Pietro Mennea, who beat him by 0.02 s. With the British relay team, Wells finished 4th.

Following the Moscow Olympics there was a general feeling that Well's gold medal had been devalued by the boycott of the games by several major athletic nations the USA in particular . However he silenced many of the doubters by subsequently beating the Americans that came over for the remainder of the European Athletics season

wells.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nice job giving some background information on Wells.He will always be one of my all time favorites along with Valery Borzov.It's so great to see him being involved in the sport after all of these years.One of the training methods Wells used was actually hitting the speed bag in the boxing gym.I don't know if any other sprinter has ever done this.What a class act!

I remember Allan very well. the us media at the time was downgrading his win because of the time and no us ******** there., however it was rainy and cold during the final, so the times were slower. His next race after the olympics was on us soil in philadelphia and he beat the 2 fastest us ********, so he was legit.

An even better sprinter was Marian Woronin from Poland. He ran a 10.00 in june 1984 as he was peaking for the la olympics> then theboycott happened and he didnt go. He was the only challenger to the gay-one and he would have been drawn to a 9.9 something in the heat ofLA and would have probably won the gold over lewis.

Woronin was 6-2 217 and ultra muscular. I have never seen such a sprinter since.

white tornado

Mentor
I heard Marian Woronin actualy ran under 10 flat but hisw time has rounded up.