2024 British Open

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The 2024 British Open Championship from Troon UK is well under way and Justin Thomas holds the early lead. Finishing the first round at -3.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
To whomever changed the thread title to "The British Open", thank you. I should have posted it that way myself.

Last edited:

NikoDuke

Mentor
Today will be crucial for some of the key names to make push. Will be watching what Rahm, Koepka, Cantlay do in today's round.

Would be a nice story for Adam Scott to win and finally claim his first major. Hard to believe with his swing that he hasn't wona major yet.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Second Major,Masters was first.
I stand corrected, he won the masters in 13. Still am surprised that with his swing he hasn't won more majors. He had a strong round today and now sits 4 shots off the leader going into tomorrow's round.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Xander Schauffele playing 18 with a three shot lead. Looks like he's going to add the Open to his PGA title earlier this year, very impressive. I've been too busy to watch it unfortunately.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Yes Schauffele closed it out to win by two strokes over Horschel and Justin Rose. Credit where credit is due as Schauffele played steady golf today with no bogeys and has now won two majors this season.

Rose gave it a very good try but couldn't go deep enough. Disappointed to see Scottie's putting woes return. Much like Rory, putting will limit his success. Good to see Jon Rahm competitive again as this season hasn't gone the way he would've liked and hopefully this is a sign of more to come.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Xander Schauffele playing 18 with a three shot lead. Looks like he's going to add the Open to his PGA title earlier this year, very impressive. I've been too busy to watch it unfortunately.
This tournament was missing something. I watched and watched, but it just wasn’t compelling. I think we have better venues and crowds here in the US and we also had to endure Mike Tirico this time vs the coveted Jim Nance.

The US won all 4 majors for the first time since 1982, so it had that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This tournament was missing something. I watched and watched, but it just wasn’t compelling. I think we have better venues and crowds here in the US and we also had to endure Mike Tirico this time vs the coveted Jim Nance.

The US won all 4 majors for the first time since 1982, so it had that.
And seven straight majors won by Americans and counting.

It only is important to me given the endless drought that is American tennis, though getting five to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon this year was at least something. I grew up always watching great, dominating American tennis players, both men and women, and remember when Australia regularly produced great men's and women's players also.

Schauffele putts better than Scheffler so maybe this is the beginning of a run of dominance by Xander. More likely is that this is his peak year, if not we'll see what he has in him. Rory stalled at four majors a decade ago despite being a top player every year.

The Ryder Cup does gnaw at me a bit. Can't wait for the next one but I do appreciate and always root for the many topnotch pro golfers wherever they're from.