2017 British Open

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was up late last night and the Golf Channel already had live opening round coverage started. It was raining and it was windy, typical Open weather after some beautiful days leading up to it. Bogeys, double bogeys and worse were common on the first hole. Hopefully those that went out later had better weather to play in. Tomorrow the winds are supposed to be howling at 40 mph.

Who knows who will win if the weather stays bad? This is actually my least favorite of the majors because of how different the courses are compared to American ones, but still it's always entertaining.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The British Open used to be my least favorite as well, but I guess it's grown on me over the last 10 years or so. I enjoy seeing players have to create different shots to score and the conditions make it even harder. However, after yesterday's rain and wind, today is ideal for scoring. There's already been the tournament's first eagle, by England's Tommy Fleetwood. Jordan Spieth has led through the first two rounds and could yet again make history. American Brooks Koepka, who won The U.S. Open, is also in the mix in a tie for third. Also, a pretty good player never to win a Major is Matt Kuchar in second.
Through round two:
1. Spieth -6
2. Kuchar -4
3. Poulter -3
3. Koepka -3
T 6. McIlroy -1

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I would like to see Spieth or Kuchar win. Kuchar is one of the most popular guys on tour, and I'd love to see him win a major in his career. Brendan Grace is currently on 62 watch, needing to two putt 17 to get there! He's been playing great today thus far.

The British Open has grown on me as well. It's usually pretty good entertainment, plus the links courses give a different look and challenge then the other three majors.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Jordan Spieth extended his lead by 1 over Kuchar with a 5 under 65. I'm looking forward to him winning tomorrow. If he does, he'll become only the second player in history to own three legs of the grand slam before age 24. The other, Jack Nicklaus.

1. Spieth, -11
2. Kuchar, -8
T3. Connelly, -5, the 20 year old making a great showing
T3. Koepka, -5

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Any golf fans should catch the last few holes. Jordan Spieth on 13 hit his tee shot over 100 yards to the right, took an unplayable and hit his third shot from the practice range and still ended up with an all-world bogey and lost the lead to Matt Kuchar. How did he respond? On the par 3 14th he nearly made a hole in one, then just now on the par 5 15th he sunk a 50 foot putt for an eagle! His mental toughness is simply amazing. He now has a one shot lead over Kuchar teeing off on 16. It's Spieth vs. Kuchar mano a mano now for the championship.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And now Spieth sinks a long birdie putt on 16! If he finishes it off he'll enter into legend today

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jordan goes -5 in the last 5 holes after a near disaster at 13 to win over a game Matt Kuchar. He becomes the youngest American to win the British Open, joins Jack Nicklaus as the only golfer to win three legs of the grand slam before the age of 24, and becomes just the 8th golfer ever to win three of the four majors.

Even grumpy Johnny Miller just called it the greatest finish he's ever seen at a major.

Jordan Spieth is as talented between the ears as he is physically. An old soul, as we've called him before. So incredibly grounded at the age of 23 (he turns 24 in five days). I don't want to gush too much about him, but we have a tremendous golfer and role model to root for for the next 20 years. The karma's been great in golf; now if we can only get the same in women's tennis.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
SPIETH! Champion Golfer of the Year! What a great finish. -5 over the last 5 holes. Even Johnny Miller said it was the best finish he's ever seen. Way to go Jordan!

Shadowlight

Master
Jordan goes -5 in the last 5 holes after a near disaster at 13 to win over a game Matt Kuchar. He becomes the youngest American to win the British Open, joins Jack Nicklaus as the only golfer to win three legs of the grand slam before the age of 24, and becomes just the 8th golfer ever to win three of the four majors.

Even grumpy Johnny Miller just called it the greatest finish he's ever seen at a major.

Jordan Spieth is as talented between the ears as he is physically. An old soul, as we've called him before. So incredibly grounded at the age of 23 (he turns 24 in five days). I don't want to gush too much about him, but we have a tremendous golfer and role model to root for for the next 20 years. The karma's been great in golf; now if we can only get the same in women's tennis.

Just when the golf world was starting to wonder if Spieth was just an early bird special (winning two Majors as a youngster in 2015) he finishes up a tight battle with a flourish and a half the last five holes. I admit that I am a Dustin Johnson fan and thought Spieth, despite my fondness for players with a great short game, was a little too steady Eddie slightly boring for me. Not after this dynamic tournament. I am jumping on the Spieth band wagon for the first time.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
What a remarkable comeback by Spieth! One of the best I've seen in sports, especially considering the circumstances. This will be one that's talked about for a long time... congrats to Spieth on the HUGE win!