You Ain’t Just Whitling Dixie

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately the powers that be at BYU won't let us access youtube, but I knwo the song Bronk and I like it too.

whiteCB

Master
I saw they included Missouri in the Confederate flag picture at the end of the song. Do people from the south consider Missouri to be part of them? I always kind of placed Missou in my head with the heartland a.k.a. Kansas, Nebraska, ect. Also what do you southerners think of West Virginia's status?

All in all good tune and although I am a proud northern I do respect the south.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Missouri and Kansas had huge differences before, during, and after The War, CB. Most southerners I know consider Missouri to be a southern state. If you spend much time in Missouri, you will find most the state to be more like the south than the midwest. Not so with the Kansas City area though. Missourians fought against the redlegs of Kansas for years. The original settlers to Missouri were southern people in ideology if not specifically in origin. Kansas was a different story. Kentucky was also a southern state. Just because a state didn't effectively secede from the union doesn't mean it wasn't a southern state. As far as WV goes, I believe it should still be part of Virginia. Fedgov force is the main reason why it isnt. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
One of the finest pieces of music ever written...bar none!
smiley4.gif

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
Missouri and Kansas had huge differences before, during, and after The War, CB. Most southerners I know consider Missouri to be a southern state. If you spend much time in Missouri, you will find most the state to be more like the south than the midwest. Not so with the Kansas City area though. Missourians fought against the redlegs of Kansas for years. The original settlers to Missouri were southern people in ideology if not specifically in origin. Kansas was a different story. Kentucky was also a southern state. Just because a state didn't effectively secede from the union doesn't mean it wasn't a southern state. As far as WV goes, I believe it should still be part of Virginia. Fedgov force is the main reason why it isnt.

Yeah I remember reading how a lot of Missou's population at first was mostly comprised of people from the area that extends from Louisiana all the way to Georgia. So that will definitely give a place more towards the middle of America, geographically speaking, a southern feel. Also Col Reb, or others, do you guys consider Maryland and Delaware to be "southern"?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
CB, most historians view Maryland as a historically Southern state. Delaware shared some of the agricultural ties with the South as well, and Ibelieve some historians viewed it as a Southern state until 1860. I think Delaware is a little more up in the air than Maryland.

foreverfree

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
CB, most historians view Maryland as a historically Southern state. Delaware shared some of the agricultural ties with the South as well, and I believe some historians viewed it as a Southern state until 1860. I think Delaware is a little more up in the air than Maryland.

Well, in LSD (Lower, Slower Delaware), in towns like Milford and Georgetown, schools waited until the mid-1960s to integrate. Schools in Kent and Talbot Counties in Maryland didn't integrate until that time either. The former black HS in Georgetown, DE BTW is now a campus of Delaware Tech, DE's statewide community college.

And in the Wilmington area in far northern Delaware, there was a lot of Boston-like emotion over a judge-inposed busing plan in the '70sthat redrew school district boundaries around the Chemical Capital.

John