Would you vote for Jesse Ventura?

Would u vote 4 Jesse Ventura 3rd party candidate(4 president)?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

whiteCB

Master
I'm voting an astounding YES! Jesse Ventura tells it like it is. It's refreshing to hear a politician tell the truth. It's a shame most people are either offended or scared of it. Also Ventura said if he entered the race right now he would win hands down. The problem is its impossible to get ballot access in all fifty states as an independent. The two parties have a stranglehold on politics in this country. Although Mr. Ventura has hinted as a possibly running for Minnesota Senator this year.

guest301

Hall of Famer
We definitely need to get away from the two party system, but I can't vote for anybody that's not pro-life. Jesse is just as socially liberal as the average Democrat on a variety of issues. I doubt he's a stickler on illegal immigration as well, I may be wrong on that one but I haven't heard him out front on that issue.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know enough about what he stands for. I'd have to know his positions on gun control, immigration, welfare, affirmative action, etc, before I can say whether I would vote for him or not.

Menelik

Mentor
White Shogun said:
I don't know enough about what he stands for. I'd have to know his positions on gun control, immigration, welfare, affirmative action, etc, before I can say whether I would vote for him or not.

I got the following info from wiki. so take it for what its worth:

Ventura's main campaign promise was a tax refund to Minnesota residents. The state was running a budget surplus at the time, and Ventura believed that the money should be given back to the public. In political debates, he often admitted that he had not formed an opinion on certain policy questions. Sharing many views with libertarians, Ventura frequently described himself as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal." He selected teacher Mae Schunk as his running mate. His participation in the 1998 Minnesota Governor debates boosted his popularity as a candidate.

Later as governor, he came to support a unicameral (one-house) legislature, light rail public transport, property tax reform, gay rights, and abortion rights. While funding public school education generously, he opposed the teachers' union, and did not have a high regard for the public funding of higher-education institutions. Additionally, Ventura supported the use of medicinal marijuana, advocated a higher role for third parties in national politics, and favored the concept of instant-runoff voting.

Lacking a party base in the Minnesota House and Senate, Governor Ventura's vetoes were often overridden.

Ventura was elected on a Reform party ticket, but he never received support from Ross Perot's Texas faction. When the Reform party was taken over by Pat Buchanan supporters before the presidential elections of 2000, Ventura left the party in February 2000, referring to it as 'hopelessly dysfunctional'. However, he maintained close ties to the Independence Party of Minnesota, which also broke from the Reform party around the same time.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, Menelik. Based on what you've posted here, I would not vote for Jesse Ventura.

What do things like 'property tax reform' and 'gay rights' mean, anyway? What are abortion rights? I know it typically means that a woman has a right to an abortion, but wouldn't my right as a father to see his child born be considered a 'right' under this rubric?

I could be persuaded differently if he were to stake out a conservative position on gun control and immigration, however.

guest301

Hall of Famer
LabMan said:
Ventura has many questions about "The New Pearl Harbor",911!

Then why doesn't he have any questions about Ruby Ridge, Waco, Oklahoma City and what's currently going on in Texas with that Mormon polygamist church. It seems to me that the conspiracies one chooses to believe in often reflects the political bent of that person. Jesse's views are clearly left of center and the 911 conspiracies are very popular with the extreme left. I know some on the right believe it too but they are not as nearly loud or as powerful as those voices on the extreme left. Just visit the Daily Kos and Moveon.org for the daily crap they dish out. Jesse is one of them and no friend of anybody here.Edited by: guest301

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was very disappointed when Ventura was governor of Minnesota, because he was a lot more talk than action. He had a very rare opportunity to go in there and really shake up the status quo, as his rhetoric promised, but he chose not to. But to the extent he is political he is for the little guy and against big government.

I'd describe Ventura as a populist, more of a left-populist than a right-populist. But thetraditionalideological labelsare more archaic every day. The only real issue any more is whether someone supports globalism (the New World Order), or sovereignty and individual freedom and liberty. And on that issue I consider Ventura to be on the right side. Edited by: Don Wassall

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
He seems like a stand-up guy, but as with any politician, he has to compromise and cheapen his views in order to appease as many people as possible.

Like a lot of people, he probably had the high intention of changing the world when in reality the world is changing him little by little.

Sort of like how every private in the army knows just how they would behave differently from all the officers should they ever become one, but once they do get the extra stripes they do the same things they despised before in others.

Like Captain Queeg said (approximately), "Command is a lonely chair."