World's Tallest Couple...Mixed

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I know this is a mix race couple
smiley21.gif
, but I'd be curious how tall their (mongrel) kids will be. I'm 6'8 & my Dad is 6'2 & Mom was 5'10. My wife is 5'7, so I expect our kids to be tall as well. My boys are all 75%+ (I suspect they'll be 6'2+) & my daughter (7) is as tall as my 9 y/o son (she's off the percentile chart for her age).

Meet the world's tallest couple: A combined 13-foot-5

He's 7-foot, she's 6-foot-5 â€" and kids are growing like weeds

Keisha and Wilco van Kleef-Bolton with their children Lucas, 4, and Eva, 2, in Dagenham, Essex, England. Keisha, 31, is 6-foot-5; Wilco, 29, is 7 feet tall. Their children are already the tallest in their classes.

by Mike Celizic
TODAYshow.com contributor
updated 7/23/2010 9:41:33 AM ET

Individually, they are tall enough to turn heads. Together, Wilco and Keisha van Kleef-Bolton are simply jaw-dropping.

He's a ceiling-scraping, doorway-bonking 7 feet, an altitude seen more often in basketball players than security guards. She's 6-foot-5, an impressive height for a woman, but just right for the man with whom she goes through life.

If that's not enough to get your attention, Wilco, who was born in the Netherlands, is blond and pale, while Keisha, who is of African heritage, is dark. They have two children: Lucas, a 4-year-old who's tall enough to pass for 7, and Eva, 2, who's as tall as a girl a year older.

Until recently, the van Kleef-Boltons merely seemed to be the tallest married couple in their Essex, England, hometown â€" or anywhere else, for that matter. Now, it's official: The Guinness Book of World Records has declared the towering twosome the tallest married couple in the world.

They were not without competition. Internet searches turn up other couples who would seem to be taller, including an Indian couple, Sharad and Sanjot Kulkarni, who claimed heights of 7-foot-2 and 6-foot-4, respectively. But after a worldwide search that included an Internet appeal, Guinness has certified the heights of the British pair, as well as the validity of their marriage. At a combined 13 feet, 5 inches, they are in the famous book's 2010 edition as the tallest in the world.

High hopes
According to British media reports, the couple met through an Internet site for tall people. Keisha was looking for a dance partner tall enough for her.

"I'm 7 ft.,"Â￾ Wilco responded. "Is that tall enough?"Â￾ The average British male is 5-foot-10; the average female, 5-foot-4.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38378269/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001

jcolec02

Mentor
Thats the tallest couple? shes only 6'5. I wonder how tall Yao Ming's wife is.

waterbed

Mentor
dixie, I think that kids will be on average the height from dad + moms height and then for a boy + 6 inches, and for a girl -6 inches:2 so, expected height for your son is 80+67+5:2 is 6'4.5 and daughter 5'10.5.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WB, thanks for the feedback. Yeh, I'm guessing 6'2-6'5 for my boys & 5'9-6'0 for my daughter.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Dixie, Jared Taylor uses the example of extremely tall parents to illustrate regression toward the mean. He concisely explains the phenomena far better than I could. He does say, though, that there are occasions when the children of these parents can grow taller.

http://www.vdare.com/taylor/071113_stumped.htm
Race/ IQ Explanation Gap At "Achievement Gap Summit"Â￾

excerpt:

There is something else the hand-wringers should think about: regression to the mean, or the tendency for natural phenomena to draw back from extremes towards the average.

When very tall people have children, for example, they don't keep getting taller and taller, generation after generation. The children are likely to be taller than averageâ€"but not as tall as their parents.

The process works in the other direction, too: Very short people don't keep having even shorter children; the generations drift up towards the average.

The same goes for intelligence. Francis Galton noted in the 1860s that geniuses' children are smart, but they usually aren't geniuses. Likewise, dummies tend to have children smarter than themselves.

Regression is only a tendency, however. Occasionally parents at the extremes produce children who are even more extreme. But that is rare. The more extreme the parents are, the stronger the pullback towards the mean.

Edited by: Quiet Speed

white is right

Hall of Famer
I've always felt sorry for anybody with that size who can't parlay his size into a pro sports, entertainment job. I remember one time reading about a boy that was 7' tall his parents couldn't afford to buy him more than one pair of shoes a year. I think he got slightly used shoes from an NBA player who heard about his plight. To be stared at all day and to do an ordinary job could make me a total shut in.....
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, my wife and I are far from being the world's tallest couple, but
we're both White and proud of it! Barefoot I'm 5'-6" and the little woman is 5'-1
1/2".
smiley4.gif
I've met more than a few people who aren't quite as tall as they think they are. Sometimes they go by their height with shoes on, or they somehow don't get measured accurately. I was looking at my cousin's drivers license one time and it said 5'-11". I told him there was no way he was that tall barefoot. So he took off his shoes and had me measure him to prove it. He was 5'-9" on the nose. Same story with several other relatives and folks I've met over the years. Funny that most of them swear up and down that I'm taller than I am.
smiley36.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I watched a TV program about the tallest family in the UK... It was a Dutch family, a REAL DUTCH family - from the Netherlands!

The father was 6-11 and his wife 5-8, and they have 3 giant sons - and a tall daughter that is still growing. The wife was beautiful and lovely.

When they (this family) were walking down the streets, towering over everybody, a lot of people seemed jealous. White Power!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Colonel_Reb said:
Well, my wife and I are far from being the world's tallest couple, but we're both White and proud of it! Barefoot I'm 5'-6" and the little woman is 5'-1 1/2".
smiley4.gif
I've met more than a few people who aren't quite as tall as they think they are. Sometimes they go by their height with shoes on, or they somehow don't get measured accurately. I was looking at my cousin's drivers license one time and it said 5'-11". I told him there was no way he was that tall barefoot. So he took off his shoes and had me measure him to prove it. He was 5'-9" on the nose. Same story with several other relatives and folks I've met over the years. Funny that most of them swear up and down that I'm taller than I am.
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
It's like that with age too. A lot of people will tell you they're younger than what they actually are, but no one ever claims to be older.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I guess my family would be an example of what Quiet Speed posted. My parents are both 5'-7"/5'-8" and I turned out to be 6'-1". One of my brothers (22 years old) is my height. My youngest brother is about the same height as my parents but he is only 16 and seems to be springing up the last few years.

Man, Dixie, there must be something in that Georgia country water for ya to be that much taller than your folks...
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Freethinker said:
I guess my family would be an example of what Quiet Speed posted. My parents are both 5'-7"/5'-8" and I turned out to be 6'-1". One of my brothers (22 years old) is my height. My youngest brother is about the same height as my parents but he is only 16 and seems to be springing up the last few years.

Man, Dixie, there must be something in that Georgia country water for ya to be that much taller than your folks...
smiley2.gif

Nah, just superior Aryan genetics.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif