Who's Your Favorite Boxer and Why?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Of all the current titleholders, contenders and prospects, who do consider your favorite?

For me it's Joe Calzaghe, with Wladimir Klitschko and Kelly Pavlik a close second.

Wlad is clearly the best current heavyweight and Pavlik is the best current middleweight. Calzaghe is the best super middleweight of all time.Edited by: JD1986

Victor Oganov! Super Middleweight. (26-0-26)

He's knocked all 26 of his opponents out. I like his style, he just charges & bangs people. No finesse, no running around(Like Mayweather), no B.S., just old fashion beat downs. He reminds me of a Jake Lamotta type with more punching power.

My favorite Champ is Vladimir Klitschko.He has done great damage to the 'blacks are superior boxers" myth. But just to watch a guy fight I like Rob Calloway. He will probably never hold a world title. He is too small to beat the best heavies and no one in the Cruiserweight rankings appear to have any enthusiasm about fighting him. But it is fun to watch him out point "promising black" fighters who outweigh him 30-70 pounds. As for watching a post fight interview my favorite is John Duddy becasue while he is always polite he takes no guff form the minions of the main stream media.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Wlad - at least the new, improved version. He does more than anyone to smash the racist Caste System in sports by breaking his black opponents down mentally, physically and spiritually. An intimidating man at 6'7, 244lbs of ripped muscle, Wlad holds a doctorate and speaks several languages. He does not trash talk and seems a legitimately nice guy.

The heavyweight champ is traditionally the "baddest man on the planet." That man is a white man -- Wladimir Klitschko.

My favorite heavyweight is Sergei Lyakovich. That being said, Wlad being the most dominant heavyweight in the world coupled by him being a European brother I follow him most closely out of all of the heayeights.

Favorite cruiserweight would have to Enzo Maccarinelli.

Favorite light Heavy is Paul Briggs.

Favorite Super Middleweight is a split between Joe Calzaghe, and Mikkel Kessler. Joe Calzaghe is probably the greatest most dominant champion the Super Middleweight division has ever seen. However, Kessler is the future of the division. Being only 28, I believe Kessler has the potential to surpass Joe Calzaghe in regards to being the most dominant Super Middle of all time.

Favorite Middleweight is Kelly Pavlik hands down. I also like John Duddy, however I cannot put him in the same class with Pavlik.

Favorite Super Welterweight is Sergei Dzindziruk.

Welterweights? Ricky Hatton. (when he fights at that weight)

Favorite Super Lightweight is Ricky "THE HITMAN" Hatton.

Favorite Lightweight is Michael Katsidis.

I really don't follow anything below lightweight to be honest. I am sure there are some skilled fighters in some of the divisions but I have a hard time getting excited about two guys weighing 120 pounds fighting.
smiley36.gif

Edited by: aussieaussie31

Angelcynn

Guru
Joe Calzaghe because he has had his title for 10 years (something that he is not given enough credit for) and because I love his style. He isn't the most built of boxers (Jeff Lacy was twice his size) but he makes up for that with his quick hands and slick movement. The American media didn't give him a chance against Jeff Lacy (which made me worried) but I have never been so satisfied with such a fine boxing performance, one that I will never ever forget. I also have a framed picture of Lacy hitting the deck with blood all over his face with Calzaghe standing tall and proud. Great moment. At the end of the day I like the vast majority of white boxers who generally have a fine attitude towards the sport. Maskaev, Hatton and Pavlik are also up there with my personal faveourites. Hopefully Pavlik can inspire more white Americans into boxing, it would be great to see!

Angelcynn

Guru
I'm positive Pavlik won't dissapoint because you can tell the guy has a big heart and gives it his all. Hopefully the crowd can get behind him aswell. Unfortunatly I can see most people rooting for Taylor due to a brainwashed audience.
smiley5.gif

G

I like most of the white guys. Favorite? - heavyweight - the K brothers and Corrie Sanders...Oleg Maskaev. Lyakhovich seems like a nice guy, Aussie. He sure didn't seem to be himself vs. Briggs, and now where is he? I hope nothing's wrong with him, like that mysterious illness that ended Mavrovich's career.

ww

G

Enzo Maccarinelli. I've never seen him and on Youtube I can only find him getting interviewed, not fighting.

ww

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have to go with Wladimir Klitschko. Heavyweights usually get the most exposure although some how he got lost in the mix.I wonder why?
smiley36.gif

My top five would go like this:

1 Wladimir Klitschko
2 Joe Calazaghe
3 Ricky Hatton
4 Mikkel Kessler
5 Kelly Pavlik

G

Doc Holliday said:
Victor Oganov! Super Middleweight. (26-0-26)

He's knocked all 26 of his opponents out. I like his style, he just charges & bangs people. No finesse, no running around(Like Mayweather), no B.S., just old fashion beat downs. He reminds me of a Jake Lamotta type with more punching power.

Impressively aggressive, but he gets hit so much. He's wide open for everything down the middle.

Looks like a good referee, for a change.

ww

G

Thanks. I just watched the Enzo-Mark Hobson fight. I watched that knockout punch over and over, including in their slow motion, and I can't see a damn thing connecting. Do you think it's possible that Hobson took a dive?

ww

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
werewolf said:
Thanks.  I just watched the Enzo-Mark Hobson fight.  I watched that knockout punch over and over, including in their slow motion, and I can't  see a damn thing connecting. Do you think it's possible that Hobson took a dive?ww

It was not a dive. If you look at the last replay, it's clear that a punch landed in a sensitive spot behind the ear. Hobson was stopped by a rabbit punch, although it was not deliberate. It's easy to KO someone by hitting him there, near the base of the spinal cord - in fact you can kill someone with a rabbit punch.

Sam Peter deliberately used rabbit punches against Wlad and Toney.

G

I didn't see anything land back there, JD. I dunno, maybe it grazed him somehow. At any rate, assuming he wasn't just acting - and he didn't appear to be - it put him on queer street.

Peter was especially throwing deliberate rabbit punches on Wlad, repeatedly - and the so-called referee, Randy Neumann, just smiled and let him. That's the same so-called referee that seems to be always assigned to dog and harrass Golota - seems to be Don King's house ref designated to harass white heavyweights - same one who didn't bother to call any of the knockdowns that Golota scored against Byrd when Byrd's hands touched the canvas after being punched. I remember George Foreman complaining about his biased refereeing in the Golota-Grant fight. That was before Foreman sold out.

ww

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
pavlik. he is very aggresive in his fighting style and I hope he doesnt disappoint in the up coming fight.

Well, he didn't disappoint in that fight, not in the next one either.

I think by now Pavlik is the favorite fighter of a lot of people.

The Hock

Master
Kelly Pavlik for sure. He's a blue collar, small town, down to earth, likeable kid next door in interviews, but a cold eyed hunter killer machinein the ring. It is enjoyable to watch his ordinary looks and demeanorbring lots of smack talk from his opponents then see their faces change gradually as he takes their best and comes back with better and relentlessy breaks them down. To top it off, he's always gracious and matter of fact in the interview afterward.

A close second is Vlad Kltichko. He is an awesome talent who had some bad setbacks along the way but fought hisway back. Like Kelly, Vlad has championship character to go with his ability.

albinosprint

Mentor
Doc Holliday,

unfortunately, Victor Oganov lost to Fulgencio Zuniga. his record is now 27-1-0 w/ 27 ko. the good news is that Palvik beat Zuniga. with that said, I'm really liking Pavlik these days.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
albinosprint said:
Doc Holliday,

unfortunately, Victor Oganov lost to Fulgencio Zuniga. his record is now 27-1-0 w/ 27 ko. the good news is that Palvik beat Zuniga. with that said, I'm really liking Pavlik these days.

I missed this one. But it was only a matter of time. Punching power and determination has never been enough in boxing. A fighter needs as many ways to win as possible and lack of boxing skills will always catch up with fighter one way or another.

forty-four

Guru
My favorite:

Michael Katsidis. I love the way he fights. I think he's the kind of fighter that will bring excitement and garner respect as well.

Honorable mentions:

Wladimir Klitschko: You have to love the heavyweight champion!

Calazaghe: I hope beats Hopkins like he "stoled" something. (a little ebonics there)
smiley1.gif

Pavlik: "The "Ghost"- very cool nickname & very good fighter.

Hatton: I think he'll be back and better than before.

Edited by: forty-four