Who was Jim Crow?

whiteCB

Master
I mean who is the person for which the Jim Crow laws were named after? I'm not from the south nor do I have any family down there so I have no clue as to why those laws were in fact called Jim Crow laws. Any info would be appreciated!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Who is John Galt?

C Darwin

Mentor
Wasn't he the guy that sang Bad, Bad Leroy Brown?

freedom1

Mentor
Jump Jim Crow is a song and dance from 1828 that was done in blackface by white comedian Thomas Dartmouth (T.D.) "Daddy" Rice. The first song sheet edition appeared in the early 1830s, published by E. Riley. The number was supposedly inspired by the song and dance of a crippled African in Cincinnati called Jim Cuff or Jim Crow. The song became a great 19th century hit and Rice performed all over the country as Daddy Jim Crow.

Jump Jim Crow was a key initial step in a tradition of popular music in the United States that was based on the mockery of African-Americans. A couple of decades would see the mockery genre explode in popularity with the rise of the minstrel show. It was also the initial step in the still extant tradition in popular music of incorporating African styles and subject matter.

The tune became very well known not only in the United States but internationally; in 1841 the USA ambassador to Central America, John Lloyd Stephens, wrote that upon his arrival in Mérida, Yucatán, the local brass band played "Jump Jim Crow" under the mistaken impression that it was the USA's national anthem.

With time Jim Crow became a term often used to refer to African-Americans, and from this the laws of racial segregation became known as Jim Crow laws.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

Jim Crow wasn't a living person. It was a caricature of blacks used in minstrel shows. The first person to darken his skin and sing and dance to such songs as Jim Crow was a White actor named Thomas Dartmouth "Daddy" Rice. He went around the country performing and making fun of blacks as lazy, stupid, fools. His act caught on and soon others were picking up where he left off.

After the Civil War and reconstruction, the laws pertaining to blacks were mostly called Jim Crow.
The song itself went like this.

Come listen all you galls and boys.
I'm going to sing a little song.
My name is Jim Crow.
weel about and turn about and do jis so.
Eb'ry time I weel about I jump jim Crow.

Tom Iron...

whiteCB

Master
Tom Iron said:
Gentlemen,

Jim Crow wasn't a living person. It was a caricature of blacks used in minstrel shows. The first person to darken his skin and sing and dance to such songs as Jim Crow was a White actor named Thomas Dartmouth "Daddy" Rice. He went around the country performing and making fun of blacks as lazy, stupid, fools. His act caught on and soon others were picking up where he left off.

After the Civil War and reconstruction, the laws pertaining to blacks were mostly called Jim Crow.
The song itself went like this.

Come listen all you galls and boys.
I'm going to sing a little song.
My name is Jim Crow.
weel about and turn about and do jis so.
Eb'ry time I weel about I jump jim Crow.

Tom Iron...

Wow very interesting stuff. I think a lot of people out there think that Jim Crow was a person who was so racist that they named segregation laws after him. Also what is a minstrel show? I've never heard of that.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, that is the history of the name "Jim Crow" as used in the later laws. For those who are still wondering what the laws were about, they were statelaws created, mainly after 1890 in many southern and western states, for the purpose of seperating the races. Similar laws had been in place in northern cities for years, but are usually not mentioned when discussing Jim Crow. Instead they fit more into the "Black Codes" era.

The Supreme Court decision in Plessy vs. Ferguson in 1896 was the culmination of the biggest challenge to early Jim Crow laws in Louisiana. After this, many more restrictions on mingling in public places and housing began to be put into place.

Miscegenation laws were not considered Jim Crow laws, as they had been on the books in almost every state prior to The War.

Many of the post-war civil rights laws designed to protect blacks were restricted on a national level as well during the Jim Crow era. Most people don't like to mention that though, as it is much more convenient to blame those evil southern states for the whole thing. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
whiteCB, minstrel shows, especially whitesin blackface,were the earliestuniquely American theatrical performances.

Excerpts from wikipedia:

They were comic skits and acts performed by white people in blackface or later by blacks in blackface. Minstrel shows portrayed and lampooned blacks in stereotypical and often disparaging ways. The minstrel show began with brief burlesques andcomedies in the early 1830s and emerged as a full-fledged form in the next decade. By the turn of the century, the minstrel show enjoyed but a shadow of its former popularity, having been replaced for the most part by vaudeville. It survived as professional entertainment until about 1910; amateur performances continued until the 1950s in high schools, fraternities, and local theaters. As African Americans began to score legal and social victories against racism and to successfully assert political power, minstrelsy lost popularity.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Jim Crow laws?

1) don't spit into the wind
2) don't tug on Superman's cape
3) don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger
4) and don't mess around with Jim

Here'a a picture of "Jim Crow"

Jimcrow.jpg

looks like he just scored a touchdown

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I met a white guy about 10 years ago named Jim Crow. He was about 25 years old at the time. He and his circle of friends were pretty much clueless about the other "Jim Crow." Guess he never had to worry about being teased abouthis namein dumbed down America.
smiley36.gif
smiley6.gif

jaxvid said:
Jim Crow laws?

1) don't spit into the wind
2) don't tug on Superman's cape
3) don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger
4) and don't mess around with Jim

Here'a a picture of "Jim Crow"

Jimcrow.jpg

looks like he just scored a touchdown

Is that a Sharpie I see in his sock?