who is the best white player

moose

Guru
who is the best white player in the major leagues? who are the top 5?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of very good white players in spite of MLB's infatuation with hispanics and American blacks, and many of them are young. I'd have to think more to give a ranked top five, but right now in no particular order -- David Wright, Chase Utley, Ian Kinsler, Matt Holliday, Dustin Pedroia, Ryan Braun, Justin Morneau, Josh Hamilton, Mark Texiera, Roy Oswalt, Jake Peavy, Dan Haren, Roy Oswalt, and Roy Halliday. Jim Thome, Randy Johnson, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz are all-time greats whose careers are winding down, while the likes of Evan Longoria and Jay Bruce lead the up and coming young players.

moose

Guru
thanks for the list, I was watching the cardinals play the other day and all the commentators talked about was how great pujols is.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I should have included Joe Mauer. He just turned 26 and has alreadywon 2 batting titles, which is phenomenal for a catcher.

guest301

Hall of Famer
My vote is for Ian Kinsler and Josh Hamilton.

green fire317

Banned
yeah i like kinsler and pedroia. i cant stand joe morgan though. he is always comparing pedroia and kinsler to himself.

GWTJ

Mentor
Chase Utley is the man! A modern day Charlie Gheringer.

I'm actually amazed at how many young athletic whites are being promoted to MLB. Without knowing the numbers, I would guess that the % of whites in MLB has gone up considerably this year.

I wish Brett Gardner would start hitting like he did in spring training. He is probably the fastest man in baseball and should challenge for the lead in stolen bases.

Skipperron

Guru
Of course I am a Pirates fan, but none the less, you gotta include Nate McLouth in the great young white player group. He is one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball with a lot of power, speed, drives in runs and hits in the .280's. And getting better all the time.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
In no particular order...

Chipper Jones, Chase Utley, Evan Longoria, Adam Dunn, Halladay & a few others. MLB is loaded with talented White players, despite the Caste-esque attempts to water the league down for "PC" purposes.

LabMan

Mentor
Skipperron said:
Of course I am a Pirates fan, but none the less, you gotta include Nate McLouth in the great young white player group. He is one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball with a lot of power, speed, drives in runs and hits in the .280's. And getting better all the time

Mcclouthis a good choice,most positive statements in the media are about the non-White players of the future.