Whitey Herzog, RIP

NEW YORK -- Whitey Herzog, the gruff and ingenious Hall of Fame manager who guided the St. Louis Cardinals to three pennants and a World Series title in the 1980s and perfected an intricate, nail-biting strategy known as "Whiteyball," has died. He was 92.

Under Herzog, the Cards won pennants in 1982, 1985 and 1987, and the World Series in 1982, when they edged the Milwaukee Brewers in seven games. Herzog managed the Kansas City Royals to division titles in 1976-78, but they lost each time in the league championship to the New York Yankees

As a player, Herzog batted .257 over eight seasons and played several positions. His best year was with the Baltimore Orioles in 1961, when he hit .291. He also played for the Washington Senators, Kansas City Athletics and Detroit Tigers, with whom he ended his playing career, in 1963.

"Baseball has been good to me since I quit trying to play it," he liked to say.

After working as a scout and coach, Herzog was hired in 1967 by the New York Mets as director of player development, with Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan among the future stars he helped bring along. The Mets liked him well enough to designate him the successor to Gil Hodges, but when the manager died suddenly in 1972, the job went to Yogi Berra. Herzog instead debuted with the Texas Rangers the following season, finishing just 47-91 before being replaced by Billy Martin. He managed the Angels for a few games in 1974 and joined the Royals the following season, his time with Kansas City peaking in 1977 when the team finished 102-60.

Many players spoke warmly of Herzog, but he didn't hesitate to rid his teams of those he no longer wanted, dumping such Cardinals stars as outfielder Lonnie Smith and starting pitcher Joaquin Andujar. One trade worked out brilliantly: Before the 1982 season, he exchanged .300 hitting shortstop Garry Templeton, whom Herzog had chastised for not hustling, for the San Diego Padres' light-hitting Ozzie Smith, now widely regarded as the best defensive shortstop in history. Another deal was less far successful: Gold Glove first baseman Keith Hernandez, with whom Herzog had feuded, to the Mets in the middle of 1983 for pitchers Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey. Hernandez led New York to the World Series title in 1986, while Allen and Ownbey were soon forgotten.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I wonder if anyone gets nicknamed Whitey any more.
I don’t think in an endearing way anymore. If you are a White kid attending school in an inner city, yes. If you are a White man who ends up in the prison system, yes. If you are a MLB level talent, no.

RIP to Herzog. He’s a bit ahead of my time but I enjoyed learning a bit more about him. I’m pretty sure I have a few baseball cards of him from the early 90s, when my collecting began. Do they still make cards of managers anymore?

The Hock

Master
I don’t think in an endearing way anymore. If you are a White kid attending school in an inner city, yes. If you are a White man who ends up in the prison system, yes. If you are a MLB level talent, no.

RIP to Herzog. He’s a bit ahead of my time but I enjoyed learning a bit more about him. I’m pretty sure I have a few baseball cards of him from the early 90s, when my collecting began. Do they still make cards of managers anymore?
Ha ha. Very good answer. I think you nailed it.