White Tight Ends

backrow

Hall of Famer
whiteafflete15 said:
Why isn't Vernon Davis a tight end? He's fast but not that great of a blocker is he? Most all of the upper-tier receiving white tight ends in the NFL should be receivers. Olsen is just one of the most obvious recent cases. BOO caste system.

Vernon Davis is a TE...

backrow

Hall of Famer
and for a comic relief: Chris Cooley!
smiley32.gif

2007-06-21_143803_chris-cooley-short-shorts.gif
Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
smiley36.gif
I can't stand the baggy shorts down to the calves look, but thank God the guys wearing "hotpants" era of a generation ago is gone. I hope that's a joke and Cooley isn't trying to revive it!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Look at that... smile!! He must really like what he sees.
smiley36.gif

Cooley is a bit offkilter. He has a strange sense of humor. First coin toss he was in as a Redskin, he introduced himself as Cap'n Chaos. They're expecting huge things out of him this season. There was a Washington Times article about his contract and numbers, and he's been as good or better the past three seasons as Heap, Dallas Clark, and another upper-echelon TE who slips my mind.

White Shogun said:
Look at that... smile!! He must really like what he sees.
smiley36.gif
\

LOL Shogun. I wonder what Chris Berman or Mark Schlereth have to say about that "grinning negro's magical smile". Does it:

a. light up the room
b. brighten up their day
c. bring joy to all race-pandering, jock sniffing
coaches
d. all of the above

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
it's Jonathan Dekker, quote from the article:
"Dekker, a Princeton man who caught four passes in the Steelers' 2006 preseason before being among the final cuts"

From August 27, 2007 Sporting Newas regarding rookie tight ends:

"Fifth round pick Brent Celek has been the Eagle's most impressive rookie and could open the season as the starting tight end if L.J. Smith (groin) isn't ready. Celek (6-4, 255) hs shown excellent hands and the ability to pick up yards after the catch, and he's a better blocker than advertised." (p. 53)

"Rookie TE Greg Olsen has proved to be everything the Bears had hoped for. Though he has been playing with the second unit, he has received ample time with the first team in two-tight end sets. Olsen has good speed and runs sharp routes. He has soft hands and has grabbed almost everything that has come near his 6-5 frame." (p. 53)

Why isn't Vernon Davis a tight end? WHOAAAAA. I wrote that awhile ago so I'm not sure what I was trying to say there, maybe that Davis should be a receiver? I know he's a tight end, he was on my fantasy team last year and did not produce. Whatever I was trying to say, my point was that they need to stop beefing up wehite guys to play tight end.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think tight end is again going to be the position where white players make some noticeable gainsin the NFL. Don't be surprised if Tony Scheffler, Owen Daniels, Zach Miller and Ben Utecht all have big years, joining the familiar white stars at the position. Greg Olsen, Kevin Boss and Heath Miller could also have very nice years.

I was just watching the first part of the totally boring Titans-Raiders game, featuring Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell and their 3-yard pass attempts, and Zach Miller was easily the best player on either team. He was also the only player among QBs, RBs, TEs and WRs who wasn't black. Hardly a coincidence.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Two more are John Carlson, who should be starting for Seattle as a rookie, and Anthony Fasano, who looks to have nailed down the starting job for Miami. I also wouldn't be surprised if Brent Celek is worked into the lineup more in Philly, where L. J. Smith is only average and is injury prone.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I was just watching the first part of the totally boring Titans-Raiders game, featuring Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell and their 3-yard pass attempts, 

smiley36.gif

I had to turn the monstrosity off. You know it's bad when your main focus during the broadcast is wondering exactly how many Alberts there are doing announcing.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Nice list of TEs, Don
smiley32.gif

Of all the "up-and-comers" you mentioned, I think Celek and Sheffler are the most "unknown" (go figure) among the NFL-watching sheeple. Hopefully the Broncos and Eagles finally realize that both LJ Smith and Daniel Graham shouldnt be starting over these rising stars.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Olsen is a local kid from Wayne, NJ. He was an absolute monster in high school. Few tight ends have his athletic ability and its good to hear the media speaking positively of him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jacob Tamme had a nice night last night with agame high 3 catches for 57 yards.

referendum

Mentor
It seems that white tight ends also make good moves as free agents. I'm thinking of Utecht going to Cincinatti where he might have a better chance than behind Dallas Clark in Indy, and Hartsock (I believe he was a free agent), going to Atlanta, fleeing the disaster in the making in Tennessee.

Former tight end Ben Utecht suffering memory loss.

Imagine winning a football championship and then wondering if you'll always remember it. Ben Utecht won a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts and now worries if his life is about to unravel because of memory loss at just 30 years old. Utecht, a father of three who married his college sweetheart, claims he has started suffering episodes of memory loss and thinks it might be a direct result of his NFL caree

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/former-super-bowl-winner-suffering-memory-loss-age-30

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Former tight end Ben Utecht suffering memory loss.

Imagine winning a football championship and then wondering if you'll always remember it. Ben Utecht won a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts and now worries if his life is about to unravel because of memory loss at just 30 years old. Utecht, a father of three who married his college sweetheart, claims he has started suffering episodes of memory loss and thinks it might be a direct result of his NFL caree

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/former-super-bowl-winner-suffering-memory-loss-age-30

I don't think Bronco Nagurski had any memory problems and he was cracking skulls for 30 years with nothing but a piece of leather strapped to his dome. I think Utecht should man up and stop lobbying for a big lawsuit settlement. Memories are overrated anyway, you're not supposed to live in the past.

dwid

Hall of Famer
yes, they need to make softer helmets, maybe with the concept of bicycle helmets?. One recently came with the bike I bought my son and I thought it was crap because it felt soft and flimsy, I read up about it. The idea is that the helmet takes the impact, not your head. Just because they have the helmets on doesn't prevent their brains from tossing around their skull. Now back in the day there was more of a chance of getting a skull fracture but much rarer than the amount of concussions players are getting today. The league isn't going to do anything but make football more into flag football. This would benefit black players, they like to hit but can't stand getting hit, this is why most White guys are the ones who go across the middle. Which I guess is affecting some years down the line. Maybe the black players don't notice the memory loss as much...

Seriously, all they need to do is change the helmets. Right now it seems like only black players can make a big hit on someone and a big hit on a black player is more likely to be penalized. Ive seen Eric Smith lose about half a year's pay on legal hits and one that wasn't even his fault, he was pushed into Boldin...it just looked bad and weally weally hurt the black receiver and gave him a bo bo .. While guys like Welker get cheap shots all the time. Just imagine if John Lynch were playing today...would they allow him to play the way he did? His hits were legal but they were really hard, and I have seen flags thrown for a perfectly legal hit that was simply "really hard"

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No doubt the helmet issue is one we should be concerned about because it will affect White players more so than blacks. The double standard of White on black hitting has been around for years (as opposed to black on White hitting), same with fouls in the NBA. I'd prefer they went back to leather or a less durable plastic design. Those "flat-topped" Riddell's from the 50s would work just fine.