White starters 1981

referendum

Mentor
Update, 1981 is done, some really interesting numbers, and a little editorializing on my part at the end.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great work, referendum! I think your post should be included as a front page article. Kind of a back to the future (30 year) type look at the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea, Col. Reb. I'll post Referendum's research as an article on the homepage.

wile

Master
1985 Packers had a majority white team, but take away the usual positions and it was 50/50 at best. They did have Paul Ott Caruth an Auburn halfback used for short yardage and third downs.

I was 22 and becoming racially aware thanks to my time in the USMC where if you didn't think about race, race came and found you, and I actually counted the whites and did the percentages. I think of it as a natural human behavior.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Great job Ref! Thanks for posting. :)

I started watching the NFL (w/ my Dad) in the late 70s & began my journey into DWF-dom around the early 80s. I grew up a Falcons fan. I definitely recall a Whiter NFL circa 1981. It's sad to see the continuous growth of cultural marxism (& its caste system) over the last 30 years.

Referendum,

The Denver Broncos had 11 white starters in 1981:

Craig Morton (QB)
Dave Preston (RB)
Steve Watson (WR)
Dave Studdard (LT)
Tom Glassic (LG)
Bill Bryan (C)
Paul Howard (RG)
Rulon Jones (DT)
Bob Swenson (LB)
Randy Gradishar (LB)
Steve Foley (S)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Steve Watson was a tremendous receiver. I've written about him on here at times in the past but didn't notice his omission from the Denver starters. Injuries cut short his career but he had several outstanding seasons, particularly 1981 when he had 60 receptions for 1,244 yards and 13 TDs.

[video=youtube;thgtvkC7_0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgtvkC7_0M[/video]​

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This research is fantastic! Excellent job Referendum! It's depressing to think that the year I was born the NFL started turning a bit darker year by year. I'm no expert on this subject but I'm willing to bet that quite a few teams had majority white starters during the 70's. Colleges would actually give scholarships to white athletes back in those days so whites made it at the taboo positions.

Steve Watson was a tremendous receiver. I've written about him on here at times in the past but didn't notice his omission from the Denver starters. Injuries cut short his career but he had several outstanding seasons, particularly 1981 when he had 60 receptions for 1,244 yards and 13 TDs.

Steve Watson played on special teams his first two seasons with Denver (1979-80). His breakout season was 1981. He played for Denver from 1979-87 and was truly one of the greatest players the Broncos ever had.

52.JPG

white is right

Hall of Famer
This research is fantastic! Excellent job Referendum! It's depressing to think that the year I was born the NFL started turning a bit darker year by year. I'm no expert on this subject but I'm willing to bet that quite a few teams had majority white starters during the 70's. Colleges would actually give scholarships to white athletes back in those days so whites made it at the taboo positions.
Back in the early 70's to mid 70's, even the SEC recruited White speed position players. These days it seems that if they have White tailback it's a RBBC situation or it's a traditional doormat type team like Vanderbilt that plays White players.

What I noticed in the above Bronco's video was:

- most of the players were White and were actually allowed to play
- White players were spoken of respectfully by the commentators
- no IDIOTIC "dancing" or self-congratulatory crotch-grabbing by athletes after routine plays
- Black players hi-fiving White players respectfully after teammates' success
- the player scoring a touchdown didn't whip out a cellphone to call his mom, or a Sharpie to write an autograph

------- in short, the video is depressing because today nobody plays like that anymore, and is inspiring at the same time because back then football players actually knew how to play football.

I'll wager that in 1981 a man was still expected to be a man.

And when I say "man," I of course mean WHITE man.

Nowadays, Blacks and Hispanics are expected and encouraged to continue being misogynistic, racist and Alpha (ie, rap "music" etc) but White men are being raised to be gay.

FACT.

Westside

Hall of Famer

I remember seeing one of Steve's last games in person. It was against the Chargers in San Diego in 1987. Steve had a huge game, with at least 2 to 3 TDs and over 100 yards. One being at least a 50 yarder. In this game he torched / burned an affeletic corner back named Elvis Paterson of the Chargers. Afterwards the press gave him the nickname Elvis "Toast" Paterson. That name stuck until his gift career was over. Good times.

referendum

Mentor
Thanks for the corrections, Ghost of Broncos Past, I was going a little too fast with the Broncos. Updated the overall numbers and Denver.

Truthteller

Mentor
ref, I sent you this photo via personal message last week. Either you didn't get it or you haven't checked your mail. No problem either way. Here's a photo of the mystery TE from the Seahawks in 1981. He looks white in the Topps card, although he has a helmet on so there is a (very small) chance he's a light skinned mulatto, although I doubt it.

Funny you mention Ole Miss. Recently read an article how that school used to really love their white football players in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's (their glory years)...ever since the program has gone dark, it's totally stunk -- aside from the Eli Manning years, when they were mediocre. So I guess, based on the way Ole Miss has looked the last 15/16 years, it's stunning to think they ever had any white players on the field, even in the 1970's:

51qNy4wqEKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

referendum

Mentor
Truthteller, thanks for emails and posting Sawyer's photo. I was out of town, on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula last weekend, so wasn't around. I think that as I go into the 1970's it may get harder to find some photos of players. We'll see. Maybe I'll create a list of mystery players that everyone on the board can help out with. Either way, I'm enjoying this project, and glad that so many on this board are appreciating it. I was a big football fan in the late 1970's, somewhat into the early 80's as I was in junior high, high school and quite a sports fan, so some of the names have been familiar.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ref, I sent you this photo via personal message last week. Either you didn't get it or you haven't checked your mail. No problem either way. Here's a photo of the mystery TE from the Seahawks in 1981. He looks white in the Topps card, although he has a helmet on so there is a (very small) chance he's a light skinned mulatto, although I doubt it.

Funny you mention Ole Miss. Recently read an article how that school used to really love their white football players in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's (their glory years)...ever since the program has gone dark, it's totally stunk -- aside from the Eli Manning years, when they were mediocre. So I guess, based on the way Ole Miss has looked the last 15/16 years, it's stunning to think they ever had any white players on the field, even in the 1970's:

I guess my post about Sawyer was overlooked as well, along with the many posts and threads about Ole Miss. I've written about the changes there many times, although I will admit most of them were over 5 years ago. Why do you think I call it New Miss? Because it is the complete opposite of the school/program that used to exist.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
James Edwards' article on "New Mess" is now posted on the CF homepage.

Truthteller

Mentor
James Edwards' article on "New Mess" is now posted on the CF homepage.

Thanks for the insight Col-Reb, I always enjoy your posts about the changing demographics of the SEC...Don, you are correct. I knew I read the article from a link I got somewhere, but no sure where I found it.

white is right

Hall of Famer

It seemed like the integration of Black players was a slow and gradual process. At first teams had 4 or 5 star types, then it was 10 players then it was close to half the starters but most of the backups were White. Eventually it is what it is now, virtually all the starters are Black and most of the backups are. I think many of these coaches were scared of alienating the boosters if they went "too Black" right away. As a kid I only watched college football during bowl time, but I remember gradually seeing teams like Alabama go very Black within about 12 years.

Truthteller

Mentor
It seemed like the integration of Black players was a slow and gradual process. At first teams had 4 or 5 star types, then it was 10 players then it was close to half the starters but most of the backups were White. Eventually it is what it is now, virtually all the starters are Black and most of the backups are. I think many of these coaches were scared of alienating the boosters if they went "too Black" right away. As a kid I only watched college football during bowl time, but I remember gradually seeing teams like Alabama go very Black within about 12 years.

Great points. That's sort of how it's played out in the NFL, also -- gradual process, through the years. Weird thing, is how the SEC has become so anti-white, while the Big 10, Pac-12 and Big 12 still have many programs that are at least somewhat white friendly? It's now gotten to the point where I won't even watch a second of SEC games. I'm stunned that so many 'good ole boys and gals' in the southern states flock to these games.

I think that regardless of any superiority of Black athletes versus White ones in absolute terms — which I don't for even a SECOND concede — I believe there's a fundamental soundness of character and steadiness of mind lacking in the average Black athlete compared to his White counterpart, and until he develops this character and maturity, I think that the teams featuring at least a reasonable contingent of White players as a steadying force will always be more successful.

And, since I doubt that the average Black athlete can EVER develop this maturity and poise in the face of adversity to the same degree as the White man, I believe that the Whitest teams will always be better.

Racist or not, that's just the way it is.

The NFL today, I think, is for the most part an AWFUL product compared to the 1960s to early 1980s, because White men in America are being raised to apologize for being born, and they're not aggressively going after their birthright as leaders who built this country.

I mean, come on. Think about yesterday -- did anyone notice on the news, or on various social media outlets (Facebook, etc.) the number of people posting things apologizing for Columbus, calling him a villain, a murderer, etc?

COME ON!

If people in America hate him so much, why don't they go back to dumbf**kistan where their loser ancestors came from, then?

YES. Because we NEEDED Columbus.

Somebody needed to do the dirty work.

Same as the pu**ies today apologizing for the U.S. Cavalry beating the s*** out of the Indians to take over the West. Don't like it? Then GET THE F**K out of the West Coast!

I swear. White men are the world's dad to a bunch of spoiled, bratty, stupid children raised by a golddigging mom or something.

The world needs us, and hates us because they need us, and they'll all go to Hell SO FAST if we were gone...

It's evident the way East European boxers hand Black athletes' asses to them in the ring. These Slav White guys weren't raised to be pantywaists, and they don't apologize for being born with a d***.

People in America brought up to believe Whites are weak can't fathom this, so they explain it away by saying boxing sucks, the "real" black athletes are stinking up the football field or basketball court (basketball today also largely sucks) instead of the ring, etc.

America needs a reboot, DAMN...