White kick returners

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Was it just me or was Furrey returning kicks for the Rams against Dallas Sunday night? Is that something he does often? I don't think I've seen a Rams game all season, so if this is common knowledge I hope you guys'll forgive me.

I know Tim Dwight returns kicks.

Are there any other whites that return kicks? Brian Finneran?

What the hell is a guy who is supposed to be so slow (Furrey) that he can't play wide receiver or cornerback doing returning kicks?? wtf??
smiley5.gif
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wes Welker is a top kick returner. Brad Pyatt returns kicks for the Colts but has been injured much of the past two seasons. Finneran has returned punts on occasion. Looker also has some for the Rams.

Furrey's switch didn't have to do with his speed, it was his position in the pecking order -- he was the number five receiver and unlikely to pass Curtis and McDonald for significant playing time. By switching to safety he quickly became a regular. Whether he will survive as one next season in the post-Martz era in St. Louis is a different matter.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Although I didn't know all the ins and outs of Furrey's move to safety, I was a bit tongue in cheek when I wrote, "What the hell is a guy who is supposed to be so slow (Furrey) that he can't play wide receiver or cornerback doing returning kicks?"

Even when there are men like Furrey, Dwight, Welker, Finneran, et al, the myth that white men are slow persists. Any of these men belie that notion, but it hasn't helped break down the stereotype.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are some kinks starting to show in the black man's athletic armor. Pasquarelli's article about running quarterbacks is one example. Commentators who remakr how fast Kevin Curtis is, mocking others for calling him a possession receiver and so on. What do you think? Any chips in the armor?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thenearly completewhite dominance at QB in the NFL this year helps, especially when the Caste Systemscript for years has been the inevitable takeover of the position by "affletes."

The other big factor is that black-dominated football is not a goodproduct, just as the NBA became a noticeably declining product after many years of black dominance. Taking plays off, poor fundamentals, extreme selfishness, inconsistency, running out of bounds and going down without being hit, continually taking stupid penalties (the obligatory block in the back on just about every kickoff being a good example), not to mention rampant criminality, along with other factors will all add up eventually to a backlash.

I can tell you one thing for sure -- if there were white men running the ball, as there should be, you would see the interest and tenacity of defenders pick up considerably when it comes to tackling. Same thing if there were more white receivers. If there were white cornerbacks and safeties, black receivers often wouldn't go down so easily. If fans didn't have betting interests and/or fantasy football interests, a lot more games would be seen for what they are -- boring. The natural dynamics of the sport have been altered for decades and that will eventuallychange the mass perception of the NFL and the elite college programs. Edited by: Don Wassall

robcat

Guru
Don Wassall said:
The nearly complete white dominance at QB in the NFL this year helps, especially when the Caste System script for years has been the inevitable takeover of the position by "affletes." 

The other big factor is that black-dominated football is not a good product, just as the NBA became a noticeably declining product after many years of black dominance.  Taking plays off, poor fundamentals, extreme selfishness, inconsistency, running out of bounds and going down without being hit, continually taking stupid penalties (the obligatory block in the back on just about every kickoff being a good example), not to mention rampant criminality, along with other factors will all add up eventually to a backlash. 

I can tell you one thing for sure -- if there were white men running the ball, as there should be, you would see the interest and tenacity of defenders pick up considerably when it comes to tackling.  Same thing if there were more white receivers.  If there were white cornerbacks and safeties, black receivers often wouldn't go down so easily.  If fans didn't have betting interests and/or fantasy football interests, a lot more games would be seen for what they are -- boring.  The natural dynamics of the sport have been altered for decades and that will eventually change the mass perception of the NFL and the elite college programs. 

That's a great post that all our supporters and opponents should read, but because of the title of the thread many potential readers will not bother to read it and they should. The thread will probably quickly drop down the topic list and be forgotten.

What White Shogun and Don wrote should be the beginning of an interesting post under a different, more eye-catching title.

speedster

Mentor
Don,your comment about people having betting or fantasy interests is so true particularly here in Canada.Ifyou couldn't gamble the NFL would lose probably in the range of 75% of it's Canadian viewership.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Wes Welker and Tin Dwight were respectively 11th and 12th in the NFL in punt return avg... and it wasn't great season for neither of them, meaning that they are perfectly capable of being in the top ten returners...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
If fans didn't have betting interests and/or fantasy football interests, a lot more games would be seen for what they are -- boring.

Don, I feel this way already, although it isn't something that I had consciously thought til I read your words. Football is boring. The only thing that kept me interested this year is our fantasy league and the local pool. I don't think I have watched one game in its entirety for the last couple of seasons, and that includes the Super Bowl. I spend more time on the PC checking wins and stats than watching the game.

Its a combination of all the things you listed, poor play being at the forefront, and not having any, or few, players for whom I really want to cheer makes the whole thing less enjoyable than years past.

Even the commentating is practically worthless. I can't stand to watch Sunday night games with Paul Maguire and Joe Theismann yakking away, and Monday night football with John Madden is almost as bad.
smiley17.gif

Spooge

Guru
Guys I don't play " Fantasy" football. Don't really know what it
is. I watch NFL for the social/physiological perspectives. I watch
it for the contrast between two types of homosapiens that constantly
display dissimilarities in their actions, thinking, learning curve and
ability to carry out planned plays while relying on repetitive muscle
memory.

Edited by: Renaissance Man

backrow

Hall of Famer
i am not gonna flame you, but i think you're wrong about several things in your posts, and right about very few...
my take on it all is that white, black, asian etc players should be given the same opportunities in college and NFL football, simple as that...
there are plenty of fast elusive black players and there are many white ones that are just as fast and athletic...
there are guys that play with heart and courage and there are some that don't...
there are smart white and stupid white players, just as they're smart and stupid black or hispanic or asian players...

RACE just shouldn't matter, period. and since in football there seem to be this myth about black man athletic superiority i disagree with it and fight it to my extent...

PS and the stereotyping that you are so fond of, RM is exactly what goes vs white football players who are never fast or athletc in eyes of caste system...Edited by: backrow

Spooge

Guru
Well backrow here we go again. Please read my post again and you
will see terms such as: " Perspective", " Contrast", "
Dissimilarities" Note that when read with an open mind the reader
should infer that the contrast and comparison is from the
writer's point of view not a broad " Stereotype" I keep comming
back to this site to keep from becomming inmeshed in a blanket
mentality. I read posts on the Caste System to gain an alternate
perspective that differs from the general publics point of view, or
perceptions that have been crammed into their collective
subconcious' Yes I concede that there are a number of black
NFL ball players that risen above their contemporaries. Barry
Saunders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, John Stalworth, Lynn Swann and others
remain some of my favorite players because they displayed
attributes I would apply to todays white NFL players. Oh well I knew
I should have held my tongue on this one.
Edited by: Renaissance Man

backrow

Hall of Famer
no, we are all here to discuss our point of view after all, and that's what we do, no need to hold the tongue. i just don't agree with you, thats' all.

Lord_Lugdreg

RACE just shouldn't matter, period.

Race is all.

(I invite you to read the following two links:

Two Important World Views

Pathologizing Sanity )

As a European-American I want to cheer for European-American Athletes (If I don't, who will? I highly doubt mestizos and Africans will.)Edited by: Lord_Lugdreg

Lord_Lugdreg

Fantasy football (American)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

You have new messages (diff).
Jump to: navigation, search

Fantasy Football is a game in which the participants (called "owners") each assemble a team of real-life NFL (or College depending on the league) players and then score points based on those players' statistical performance on the field. Leagues can be arranged in which the winner is the team with the most total points at the end of the season or in a head-to-head format (which mirrors the actual NFL) in which each team plays against a single opponent each week, and at the end of the year the team with the best win-loss record wins the league. Most leagues set aside the last weeks of the NFL regular season for their own playoffs.

Fantasy football has evolved in recent years from a mere recreational activity into a big business industry due to the Internet. Fantasy sports in general have grown into an industry that generates an estimated $100 million in annual revenue and involves about 30 million Americans, according to a Harris Interactive poll. Fantasy football has surpassed fantasy baseball in popularity and is now the most popular fantasy sport in the United States. And it is continuing to grow: the number of websites and magazines dedicated to fantasy football has increased substantially in each of the last several years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_football_(American)

I have never really gotten into it myself, but I have had friends ask me all the time for advice on what players they should pick up. I was thinking maybe next year I might try some internet stuff.